Hi, i'm in the market for a new guitar and the the jazz guitars have caught my eyes, now the two i'm interested in are the Hagstrom Viking and the Ibanez AS103BM, has anyone got these or had any experience with them, what are they like, how can they handle distortion and can you recommend any others, preferably similar price and definitely double cut?

cheers,

Lewis
Well, I recently bought an Epiphone Sheraton II and it's quite perfect for me. I chose it because it had this sound I was looking for, this kinda Pat Metheny-ish warm tone, but I wanted a guitar that would also sound well with a bit of distortion (ala John Scofield). So this guitar did it for me and it's not expensive. A bit more expensive than the Hagstrom Viking, but cheaper than Ibanez AS103. You can try it if you like warm tones.

Oh, and it's a double cut also ;] And it's quite heavy, if that's important for you.
Last edited by UNIe at Aug 26, 2008,
bump, any further advice would be appreciated, im leaning towards the ibanez because its well beautiful and i wouldnt be able to try before i buy cos i have to order it
The AS103 is a great guitar. It's pretty bright sounding, but it plays really well and like you said, it is beautiful. It can handle a fair amount of distortion too. Of course not metal levels, but good enough.

If you have any specific questions I'll answer them as best I can.

(shameless plug) You can find pictures by clicking on the link in my sig.
Get a Gibson, or save up for one.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
^I personally object to paying £2000 for a plywood box - but then I've never played a Gibson semi so perhaps there's some mojo going on there.

I'd feel happier going for the Ibanez - though it would probably merit a pickup swap.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Quote by pEdAl2
^I personally object to paying £2000 for a plywood box - but then I've never played a Gibson semi so perhaps there's some mojo going on there.

I'd feel happier going for the Ibanez - though it would probably merit a pickup swap.

Have you ever played a high end Gibson? not a studio or any of the more affordable stuff? The standards and anything beyond is awesome. The semi-hollow's are amazing quality and will sound amazing.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
Hey T!AN i was looking at the pics of your Ibanez, on the bridge it looks there are floyd rose-style fine tuners (the black Knobby things), is it the same principle like you have to cut the balls of the end of the strings? Thanks