I think it's about time I replaced my MG. This amp has served me well since the first day I got it, and although it's been reliable, I know I can get a much better tone than I am getting with this amp. I play mostly stuff like Misfits, Green Day, Blink 182, +44, Operation Ivy, Ramones etc. I figured I will need an amp that I can get a good punk tone out of, I am interested in the VOX Valvetronix series. i know this amp is only a hybrid but I'm sure it will be better than my MG.

I currently play 30 watts, would I need more than that If I'm going to play with a drummer?

Is the XL a better amp than the regular AD?

Any help is really appreciated.

Cheers
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
Whats your budget? And the XL is just a version of the Valvetronix that has higher gain settings, the general consensus that its not as good.
As weird as it sounds I'm not sure of my budget. Would it be better to get the AD with a pedal than a XL? Would 30 watts be enough power to play with a drummer?
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
You won't really need a pedal with the AD30VT, you sound like you don't really need heaps and heaps of gain so i'd go for the AD. 30 watts should be enough
The AD is a very nice amp, for what it is. I haven't tried the XL, but the high gain settings on just the AD seemed nice enough, not that I play any metal. It'd also be worth looking at a Roland Cube 30 or something similar if you need mostly heavy settings. I would think the AD could cover most of what you play, though. Either way, there'll be no need for wasting part of your budget on a pedal.

EDIT: The AD30 I played was surprisingly loud for a 30 watt SS, to me. It could probably handle playing with a drummer as long as he isn't to loud.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
30 watts should be fine. The AD is a good amp. Maybe look at some used amps, and get more for your money.
So no matter what wattage I get it will be a better amp for practicing and jamming than my MG?
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
^As long as you get one big enough for jamming, yes. I wouldn't go lower than the 30. But if you're looking at the bigger amps, then your budget is probably high enough that you can start looking at some other amps in the used market.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Think I'm gonna get the 30. Probably in about 2 weeks time. Thanks for the help everyone and I'll let you know how I get on with the new amp.

cheers.
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
^You need to try it first to make sure it fits your needs, considering I don't play the type of music you play. If it doesn't, look at the XL or Cube.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Thing is, there's nowhere near me where I can try one
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
At the very least, get some other opinions, then. I would think it would be fine, but like I said, I don't play anywhere near that type of music.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by Storer

youtube? not as good as trying one, and most cams suck at sound, but it's worth checking out anyway
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
Quote by Storer

No guitar stores near you? Wow, that sucks. I would not recommend buying an amp without trying it first. Is there no way to get to a city to try one?
Yeah I was thinking of trying YouTube, infact I'll go do it now.
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
You can also have a look at the reviews on harmony central, you have to take them with a pinch of salt though because you find the occasional preachers who rate everything 10/10 and people who write bad reviews no matter what
A Valvetronix would suit you well given your genres. Not that I play any of that, but I can go from crystalline jazz to sweet blues to dirty, sloppy blues, to hardcore, to thrash, to doom metal with my AD50VT.

It's a great introduction into the world of tone, because it has good enough tone to make you start listening critically to tone in general.

Also, unlike other SS amps, it doesn't sound like **** when dimed.
Quote by gregs1020
No guitar stores near you? Wow, that sucks. I would not recommend buying an amp without trying it first. Is there no way to get to a city to try one?

I have a guitar store in my town, It only has MG's....
Even the one's in the city don't have the VOX. Pretty sure I'm getting it though.
How does it sound when cranked?
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97