My search brought me to a couple of threads that touched on the subject, but didn't really answer my questions. I'm hearing some good things about these amps, and the price is right (R.I.P. Bob Barker). I'm kinda thinking about starting to save up for a stack, but disregard that for now, I don't want people blabbing on about what stack I should get. Unless I really respect you.

Point is, somebody DESCRIBE these amps to me. Quality-wise, power rating wise, and very importantly, I'd love if somebody defined their tone for me, maybe related them to another brand. I can't seem to get my hands on one to test out, and I want to know if it's worth the trouble of hunting down.

If you make a post that only says "Get a [brand name], can't go wrong," I will report you for spam and then vomit into your shoes. In that order.

Ready... GO!
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Well, you should be able to get the tech specs from any website. That'll give you information as to the power ratings, the EQ etc.

Ah but of course Delirium, I apologize, I worded that wrong. When I mention power rating, I mean how loud are its watts. How efficient. Like, Behringer being bad, GK being good.

And Bob Barker is dead to me, Drew Carey killed him.

EDIT: Also, while we're at it, I don't think Acoustic has a company website... strange.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Last edited by WhyLater at Aug 26, 2008,
Acoustic are specially made "BY" Guitar Center as far as ive read they look solid i played an acoustic bass through one back in the acoustic room at GC and it was a little one maybe 60w but it sounded warm the EQ didnt change much...didnt have much Highs but i could max it out and hear sliding on the strings and clacky slap and stuff...but mind i was using an acoustic LAGUNA bass...also a GC brand i believe....they have a FULL STACK for $699 but its only 200w RMS

the gear is made in CHINA if thats important im not sure looks solid enough but i again i didnt plug into the big stuff they had on the floor...very basic but works feels better than.....BEHRINGER

FEATURES : F/X Loop PADDED Input 6 Band SWEEP EQ + FREQ NOTCH (MID BOOST) + GAIN (duh)
Last edited by HATe410 at Aug 26, 2008,
Are these still the same Acoustic amps that jaco played?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
^Very, VERY different.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
..Bob Barker isn't dead.

Let's be fair: he should be. I'm surprised he just didn't keel over at a taping of the Price is Right, to be honest. Also, Drew Carey makes me want to shoot myself in the face with a nail gun.

Erm... I'm also very interested in Acoustic amps. There have been some rave reviews from a select few people, but my instinct says they're going to be very overrated when I go and try one, just like a MAG. Looking at the specs, they're nothing special. Very average wattage ratings, the B200 only really runs at ~130 watts as far as I can see, which is there flag ship. The EQ is decent, but is definitely saved by the mid frequency knob. That's just what I gathered from the specs though, I've never played one.

What's that? a whistling in the wind? Caaaaaaarrrrviiiiinnnnn....

Did you hear something?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
The EQ is decent, but is definitely saved by the mid frequency knob.

Yeah the NOTCH will give you some nice tonal options but there are better options of course this is a bargain amp you GET what you PAY FOR here...

From what salespeople were saying they are pushing the FULL STACK and WILL BUDGE on the price to move em out....just noticed--- hell the have balanced XLR OUT not bad...and claims to have a compression circut and harmonic distortion circultry? W/E that is theyre cheap man and GC must be paying chinese kids $0.05 an hour man...
Last edited by HATe410 at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Very, VERY different.

Cool thanks for clearing that up. And I think you are all forgetting the real host of The Price Is Right...
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
What's that? a whistling in the wind? Caaaaaaarrrrviiiiinnnnn....

Did you hear something?

You know Jazzy, you've been talking about Carvins for awhile now. And I've gotta admit, 600W with slider EQ for $430 is hard to argue with. Since you're here, describe Carvin's tone to me. Because I respect you.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

man i played a CARVIN once and and loved it but man i have to order them direct...well thats kinda nice actually...hmm....
Lolz, your respectz are misplaced.

Anyway, I've only tried out one Carvin, ever as they're miserably hard to find on the used market. It was a while back, before I really knew about Carvin. Boy, was the wind howling that night. Mrs. Dupree had just served me milk and cookies and I was on my way back to the precinct... Never mind.

ANYWAY, it was an older model, I can't remember if it was a Redline or a ProBass, like I said it was long before I really knew anything. From what I remember the tone was... exactly how I usually claim it to be, very transparent, it wasn't devoid of life, like I find some amps to be (*cough*cheap peaveys*cough*) but it definitely wasn't that disgusting wholesome sound you get out of an Ampeg. It basically let me get any tone I really wanted out of it and the flat tone was very good, and quite... warm. Not quite the bubbly sound of a MarkBass, but definitely with more bubble than a MAG. But the best thing, as with the MarkBasses, is that tone didn't haunt you through every single EQ change you could care to make. As for the volume, it was plenty loud and the amps have only gotten louder through the years.
Acoustic. mmm.

buy it, you can't go wrong!

what I like about them is they are cheaper than most other amps, but say, the AB50, it's easily the best 50 watt amp I've ever played, it has very defined air, a solid clear low end, and sounds a little edgy, but without being too harsh. it sounds very nice for what I play, and with the dual inputs can work like 2 amps. it sounds like a quieter version of a much more expensive amp to me. given most cheap starter amps are 10-25 watts of cruddy noise, I don't think I'd get anything else.

the other one aren't as special- I found the B20 lacking, to be honest. but the B100 and B200 are very nice amps for the price, with relatively clear sound and solid build. the sound is reminiscent of the AB50, with the punchy low and strong air, but not quite as well defined, being much smoother tonally. also, they have the 7 band eq, something I very much enjoy. given how cheap I am, for me, this is something to be excited about.

also they do have a website.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Alright, thanks a lot Humanity. (And dammit, thanks Jazzy, now I've got to hunt down a Carvin to try.) And good call on the website, Google didn't get me there within 10 search results and Musiciansfriend didn't have a company website listed.

Any other input on Acoustic, or at this point in time, Carvins? I know this is shallow, but comparing them to other brands might help me out.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

yeah I looked it up as soon as I got my amp. first one the store sold. glad to take it. my baby sounds sweet.

I really wish it was louder though.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I have the acoustic b100... it really loud for the amps IMO... but it has a bad EQ... you cant change the tone that much, and it has no overdrive but it has a good tone but the tone doesnt change that much... but you should try an acoustic amp... i think they are great amps for the price
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
i got my b200 about 3 weeks ago.

it sounds very nice with my jazz bass, the lows are nice and growly, and my highs are clear, even when chording. you can feel the low end about 10 ft away without having to turn it past half way.

you can tell the difference when you mess with the eq, if i knew what i was doing i could most likely tell you more

all in all its a very nice little combo, its a loud 200 watts (to my ears).
the minimalist σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
yep..im bringing it back to life..haha

but, the B200H is 200watts at 4ohms. say i buy the half stack, which only has 1 cab at 8ohms, im only running 100watts?

and is it enough power to cover band practice with out being miced?

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
The notch DEFINES my tone, I'll put it as simple as that. Ups? Effects loop, mid-notch. Downs? Mine is a single 15. If I do not have my tone knobs very far, I get absolutely no high end and sound like a muffled glove (which, curiously, seems to be due to the EQ.. I was crisper by simply bypassing my EQ and DI'ing (so to speak) using the effects return.)

BTW, search of Acoustic Amplification if you can't find specs..
or go on Musician's Friend or something

Quote by bojangleman
yep..im bringing it back to life..haha

but, the B200H is 200watts at 4ohms. say i buy the half stack, which only has 1 cab at 8ohms, im only running 100watts?

and is it enough power to cover band practice with out being miced?

Alex

For sure. I play with/against thunder sticks and lightning riffs. They try to get as loud as they can. I can easily overpower all of them (especially when things are recorded. I didn't realize I was actually ruining recordings because I could get so loud and still sound nice in a practice/ears situation.)

(I stay at quarter/quarter and still have the ability to overpower. We're kind of a bass-centric band now (though we're not a band). The guitarist wacks around with his spider-delay with some 'blues' distortion and I groove with the drummer. I fill the sound out very nicely)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Last edited by lordofthefood1 at Mar 7, 2009,
Ok, here's the skinny on acoustic amps... some time ago, they used to produce amps that were superb, amazing sound bass amps that were great for the money. You couldn't find 'em in the 90's and early 2000's for the life of you (I tried, I ended up with a Kustom III, don't regret it).

Now, they're being "reproduced" (is that the right word? These things have nothing in common with the old "acoustic" bass amps) as budget amps... and they are FANTASTIC FOR THE PRICE. They aren't going to give an Ampeg SVT, Ashdown or Eden a run for it's money, but for the money you dole out for them, they give you a lock of tone per dollar. Honestly, if they were around when I bought my bass amp, I'd probably be rocking an Acoustic halfstack, instead of my Kustom/Fender hyrbrid.

But, yeah, I've tried a B200 head out with the 410 and was really impressed with the tone that it was able to create. It really rivalled the vintage SS bass amps in terms of mojo, it didn't have the distinctive "ampeg" tone that so many bassists are after, but... jeez for the money, it was amazing. I can tell you, you can pick up much better for less, used, but for a new 200watt bass head, that B200 really gives you great tone. I still prefer the Ampeg SS bass amps over the Acoustics (just cuase they have the "ampeg" tone), but they also cost a whole lot more than the Acoustics do.

Go try one out, you'll see what all the buzz is about. They've also got a great "vintage" look to them. Not like "classic vintage ampeg" look, but... "funky vintage bass amp" look.

as far as the power ratings go, my Kustom III is 120 watts at 8ohms, running into an 8ohm cab. I was able to get over a 100 watt Kustom SS combo and a Marshal 50watt tube halfstack along with the loudest drummer you'd ever hear. the 200w at 4 ohm will enough to get over a band.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Last edited by Thomme at Mar 7, 2009,