ok, i know that most of you hate MCR..yes, overrated...but i do find myself listening to them from time to time, but my question is....how do they get their tone?

if im not mistaken, doesnt both Iero & Toro use jcm800s (iero might use jcm2000, not sure)?

my question being... this amp has a repuatation of being a "classic rock" type amp, but they are labeled as somewhat a goth-rock or rock/metal band so..

how do they get that distorted gain?

is it their pups or do they use some type of pedal?

same for Jeremy DePoyster of TDWP...they're metalcore and he uses a jcm800...there must be something going on here im missing..

for ^^ could it simply be the TS9 he uses as for boosting?

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Iero uses a Vintage Modern now, I'm not sure about Toro but I think he uses a JCM200, but im probably wrong about him. Neither of them use huge amounts of gain, their pickups are just the standard humbuckers, either the ones in their Epi Elitists or the Gibsons they use. As for pedals they might use an OD but only to tighten up the gain a bit, not to add much.
There are pedals... pretty obvious.
I think TS9 could make a pretty good sound out of a tube amp.

But i still go for FX boards
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
What is mcr?

edit: saw the response. No wonder I don't know, sorry just curious.
Last edited by pak1351 at Aug 26, 2008,
Toro uses a vintage modern, as said on Marshals Website, but Iero is not featured on that site.
Quote by minibrowny
Iero uses a Vintage Modern now, I'm not sure about Toro but I think he uses a JCM200, but im probably wrong about him. Neither of them use huge amounts of gain, their pickups are just the standard humbuckers, either the ones in their Epi Elitists or the Gibsons they use. As for pedals they might use an OD but only to tighten up the gain a bit, not to add much.

they use Duncans, JB i think.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
On the Marshall website Ray is shown with the vintage modern but on the recordings and live he usually uses JCM 2000 with no overdrive or distortion pedal just a boss ge-7. In Ray's words :

Right now I'm using Marshall JCM 2000s® the DSL100 with two 1960A cabinets. I don't use many pedals. I'm very basic. I just have a Dunlop Crybaby wah, Boss EQ pedal, Boss Pitch Shifter to do harmonies, Boss Chorus Ensemble, and Electro-Harmonix POG Polyphonic Octave Generator, which you can set up to play one octave below, an octave above, or two octaves above. You can make your guitar sound like a Hammond B3 organ when you use that in combination with the chorus pedal. It's a really cool pedal.

My main guitar right now is a Gibson Les Paul Standard that I think is either from '91 or '93 which I picked up while on tour. I have Seymour Duncan Phat Cat (SPH90-1) P90-style pickups in it which are the size of a humbucker. They're amazing. I'm really psyched about them. I have another Les Paul Standard which is probably from '93 and it has a Seymour Duncan JB (SH-4) in the bridge position and the neck pickup is whatever came on the guitar. My brother was the person who had turned me onto the JB. It was the first after market pickup I bought because he said that I had to get a Seymour Duncan JB!
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Last edited by Attack at Aug 26, 2008,