how do you find the polairity of the 9V plug on a pedal? i bought a random pedal off of ebay and the seller had no clue, he had just found it in his basement when he moved.

it seems to be a custom/homemade pedal, it's been repainted, so it's not like i can search for the model online.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
It wont damage it if it gets the wrong polarity (or atleast that hasn't damaged any of my pedals when they get the wrong polarity) so I guess trial and error is the key, and start with a battery to make sure it actually works first!
Quote by Meddled
It wont damage it if it gets the wrong polarity (or atleast that hasn't damaged any of my pedals when they get the wrong polarity) so I guess trial and error is the key, and start with a battery to make sure it actually works first!

there is no 9v battery adaptor, thats why i need to find if the polairity is + or -.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
It's iffy if it's hand made, but open it up and check out the wires going to the tip plug and the ring plug. The builder might not have bothered to use black wire for the ground, but you never know, it might be very obvious once you open it up.

Just out of curiosity, what type of pedal is it?
plug it in one way.. if it doesn't turn on, switch the polarity and plug it in again.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
It's iffy if it's hand made, but open it up and check out the wires going to the tip plug and the ring plug. The builder might not have bothered to use black wire for the ground, but you never know, it might be very obvious once you open it up.

Just out of curiosity, what type of pedal is it?

i'm not sure, it just says "High Boost" with googley eyes in the "O"s.
it's very basic, a small bread board with eight components and one potentiometer.
there is one big orange cylinder and a big orange square, and what looks like a uF capacitor in a wah.

as you can tell, i'm not technologically inclined, so thats why i need help. is there voltage meter i can test on it to see?

can i just re-solder the 9V input and replace it with a battery clip?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Quote by Kivarenn82
plug it in one way.. if it doesn't turn on, switch the polarity and plug it in again.

i'm pretty sure if you plug in the wrong polairity, especially with a homemade pedal because they don't have any safety features to prevent it from blowing up, it'll probably go "Kabloowie".
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
I've built several pedals. One easy way to tell is to see if the wires go like this:

If so, then it is negative center. If not it is positive center.
Quote by end_citizen
I've built several pedals. One easy way to tell is to see if the wires go like this:

If so, then it is negative center. If not it is positive center.

it doesn't have a battery clip.

can anyone just tell me which way if the black one is on the ledge thingin the middle, and the red one ismore on the side, is it positive or negative?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
but if the posistive and negative is not printed on their... he probably doesn't know which goes to switch...

But if you look at the wiring, it should run one of the ground connections from the input jack (which is probably a stereo jack) should be connected to the negative terminal on the power jack, or this is connected to the board, which then goes to the negative part of the power jack, this would be the negative part, and the other would obviously be positive wires
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
but if the posistive and negative is not printed on their... he probably doesn't know which goes to switch...

But if you look at the wiring, it should run one of the ground connections from the input jack (which is probably a stereo jack) should be connected to the negative terminal on the power jack, or this is connected to the board, which then goes to the negative part of the power jack, this would be the negative part, and the other would obviously be positive wires

this actually reallly helped. i now know that the center little pointy thing is negative, so it'll work with the rest of my pedals.

kthxbye.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater