There is a guy who is actually selling two marshall superbass heads, one from 1981, one from 1971. 1 000$ CND each.

I'm pretty sure it works well, i'll try it out ASAP, but i just wanted to know, will it have to much bass for guitar?

And wich one is the best for classic rock, like led zeppelin, hendrix, alice cooper, rush, and some early heavy metal, like sabbath, judas priest, iron maiden, scorpions, van halen?

And what would be a good pedal to boost it (when i get money) becaus i just cannot crank 100 watts?
Last edited by WaffyDoc at Aug 26, 2008,
There's no real point in playing a guitar through a bass amp unless the only amp in the world available to you is a bass amp.

For $1000 CAD you can get some very nice guitar amps, probably a Marshall JCM of some kind if that's what you want. Perhaps a JCM900?
Well Adam Jones uses a Superbass I believe with his VH4s. Dunno if they'd be good for classic rock though.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
thats a sweet deal they actually sound amazing with guitar, check out youtube for some clips
Gear:

MIA Fender Stratocaster
Jackson Kelly KE3
Ibanez Universe
Marshall JCM 800
Orange Jim Root Terror
Mesa 2x12
Ovation Custom Balladeer
pedals and such in profile
Quote by funkymonkz
thats a sweet deal they actually sound amazing with guitar, check out youtube for some clips

Yeah, it's the first thing I did and there are some pretty awesome clips with guitar, actually most of the clips!!

And I also play bass a bit, so it can be useful.
Quote by Don_Humpador
There's no real point in playing a guitar through a bass amp unless the only amp in the world available to you is a bass amp.

For $1000 CAD you can get some very nice guitar amps, probably a Marshall JCM of some kind if that's what you want. Perhaps a JCM900?

In Montreal, I cannot find a JCM 900 under 1 400$. My teacher has one but it is a bit to modern sounding for me. And the reissues of JCM 800 just don't do it compared to my friends made in 1982 JCM 800. Other than that, I just love the plexi sound, and the normal channel, i heard, was the same as the superlead normal channel.
The Marshall Superbass can be used as a guitar amp. In fact a lot of people prefer them as they have a warmer tone than their superlead counterparts.
Oh, and I have an Epi Les Paul Standard modded with Burstbuckers (2 & 3), wich have A LOT of treble, but they have a supa great vintage tone. And don't tell me to change guitar, the shopkeeper of a boutique equipement shop told me my guitar sounded as good as a real les paul, only the feeling was different (the neck).
Quote by WaffyDoc
Oh, and I have an Epi Les Paul Standard modded with Burstbuckers (2 & 3), wich have A LOT of treble, but they have a supa great vintage tone. And don't tell me to change guitar, the shopkeeper of a boutique equipement shop told me my guitar sounded as good as a real les paul, only the feeling was different (the neck).

Well shop keepers lie.

Just get the amp. If it's still listed by the time I go to Montreal next week, you'll be shit out of luck.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Well shop keepers lie.

Just get the amp. If it's still listed by the time I go to Montreal next week, you'll be shit out of luck.

Well it's not like a gibson les paul, but these pickups are just fantastic compared to the shi**y epi pickups.

And I'm gonna try it tomorrow!

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBAmMjQOxwE&feature=related
It sounds damn good, even if it is a bass amp!!
Hell, If I had the money I'd buy both of those.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by Don_Humpador

Hey you!
Yeah you!

Don't talk if you don't know what you're talking about.
Many people get extremely nice tones out of old marshall bass amps.
Same with fender bassmans.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
We are so getting riped in qc a ****ing mexi strat is 1k.
There's No School like Old School.

So yeah, i'm getting active again on this fucking website.

FACEBOOK
Quote by Don_Humpador

An amp is an amp, the only difference between a Marshall superbass and superlead is that the superbass has a bigger low end. A lot of people like that, Hendrix's most famous amp was a 100 watt bass spec plexi (JTM45/100) that was designed for Pete Townshend, Duane Allman used a bass spec 50 watt 1986 plexi, Malcolm Young used a Marshall Superbass. Clapton, Angus Young, Hendrix and many many others used the JTM45, which was also a bass circuit. Not to mention the Fender Bassman, widely considered the first rock amp. For classic rock, anyone with an ear for tone would pick any of these amps over the JCM900 for guitar.

anyway, to the TS:

The Superbass is an amazing amp. Pick up the 1971, its a handwired, point to point original Marshall plexi. It will had godly tone, and get an attenuator, because its loud as hell too. You will not find a better amp for the tone you are looking for. Just be sure to get a good cabinet to put it through.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Hcmanu
We are so getting riped in qc a ****ing mexi strat is 1k.

Go across the border and buy them in Ontario then. Lord knows it's not that far.

It's one friggin' bridge
You can get a nice tone out of Bassamps. Period. Paul Kossoff used bass speakers onstage for example.
Quote by Meddled
You can get a nice tone out of Bassamps. Period. Paul Kossoff used bass speakers onstage for example.

Big speakers =/= bass amps.
Not sure how much it is in American, but if it's under like 1900 USD you're getting it for a good price. They sound REALLY great on guitar (Duane Allman used one religiously from what I gather), and Adam Jones has used that as the central facet of his tone since Tool was former (granted, it's layerd with dual Diezel VH4s now, but still). I'd use a tubescreamer in front if you really need it, but honestly, a quality attentuator will give you the best sounds out of it, since when it's cranked, it sounds to die for.

And even though it's listed as 100 watts, cranked up the output's close to 200 something. O_O

So an attenuator is a must have, unless you want to lose your hearing or kill small animals.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Not sure how much it is in American, but if it's under like 1900 USD you're getting it for a good price. They sound REALLY great on guitar (Duane Allman used one religiously from what I gather), and Adam Jones has used that as the central facet of his tone since Tool was former (granted, it's layerd with dual Diezel VH4s now, but still). I'd use a tubescreamer in front if you really need it, but honestly, a quality attentuator will give you the best sounds out of it, since when it's cranked, it sounds to die for.

And even though it's listed as 100 watts, cranked up the output's close to 200 something. O_O

So an attenuator is a must have, unless you want to lose your hearing or kill small animals.

Yes, the Marshall superlead or superbass can put out power IN EXCESS of 200 watts. I've heard of some going as high as 230 watts when turned to 10! An attenuator is a MUST for this type of amp.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Big speakers =/= bass amps.

Yah, but those big speakers handle bass frequencies pumped out by guitar amps...

But yes I get your point those were speakers not amps...

However, a lot of guitarists use bassmans!
Quote by Meddled
Yah, but those big speakers handle bass frequencies pumped out by guitar amps...

But yes I get your point those were speakers not amps...

However, a lot of guitarists use bassmans!

So do other speakers.

The bigger ones just have better bass response.
I was to late. Some guy took both before I even got a look at them.

But thanks to all of you for the help.

And btw, if you really want a cheap strat, take a look at G&L Legacy. They're about $1K, but they soud better than mexi strats, better than american strats (my opinion), and pretty close to the deluxe, wich is $500 more. Some even say they are comparable to Custom Shop Fenders!
Quote by WaffyDoc
I was to late. Some guy took both before I even got a look at them.

But thanks to all of you for the help.

And btw, if you really want a cheap strat, take a look at G&L Legacy. They're about $1K, but they soud better than mexi strats, better than american strats (my opinion), and pretty close to the deluxe, wich is $500 more. Some even say they are comparable to Custom Shop Fenders!

but i could get american strat for 1k... ? maybe they are differently priced in canada
Quote by Highwaytohell
but i could get american strat for 1k... ? maybe they are differently priced in canada

Well I'm talking about the prices I find here in Montreal, going trough the shops. The american deluxe strat is approximatly $1 300.But the MIM's are like $800. I don't know about ameican strandard...
Quote by Highwaytohell

Dude
G&L legacy's are basically the equiv (build quality and woods) to an american deluxe without the roller nut.
You may or may not know, G&L was Leo Fender's company. It is most peoples opinion that G&L>american standard
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
You may or may not know, G&L was Leo Fender's company. It is most peoples opinion that G&L>american standard

Yeah, I got the explanation today. Leo sold his name in 1965, but he can still do great guitars. He also started Music Man, before selling it.
/\

He doesn't use Herberts OR Einsteins; one blue face VH4 and a Silver face VH4.

But that sucks about not getting it. If you can find another for that price, I'd try to play it and get it. They're really great amps from what I hear.
The superbass and superleads are extremely similar. The Basses are a bit darker, more bottom end warmth and tend to be a bit more expensive because they're preferred over the super leads.

Keep in mind though... Ceriatone sells a superbass and superlead I do believe.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Superbass's are my favorite Marshall amps, period. Non-master volume, I believe?

Hellz yeah.