Been getting back into playing and practicing everyday now and am just curious as to how badly im lacking...

Been playing for 10 years (since i was 15). I love playing everything from acoustic Incubus to Six Feet Under.

I've only learned like 2 or 3 REAL solos, both of which are Metallica. 1-Fade to Black 1st solo and Sanitarium 1st solo. Kinda learned the 2nd one but was never fully able to play in sync with it 100%.

I've only learned 2 scales, A minor pentatonic and E major

I am comfortable playing:

The Four Horsemen

Jump In the Fire (deff. have had that whole thing down for years rythme guitar that is)

80% of pre-Brian Johnson AC/DC

Torn (creed) still working out some bugs with that one

Babe im gunna leave you (again some small bugs to work out not bad tho)

I've been doing my chromatic warm up exercises that I used to do 3-4 years ago and have been going through my Speed Mechanics for Lead guitar book...

My problem is that theres some songs that i would LOVE to play but still can't after all these years and it haunts me, like a FULL down picked (like played on the album) version on MoP and songs like Blackend...

I know I've got the gear and then some im just curious if theres anyone out there like me who feels ashamed of the amount of time they're spent playing but haven't really gone anywhere with it....
Rob
You shouldn't care. Just play.

Who cares if you can't play for the life of you? Just have fun.

No one cares if you suck anyways.

Unless you're playing loud in a guitar store.
your missing the point of playing guitar,, thus you won't ever get any satisfaction out of it..
Point A : There are no rules when it comes to playing guitar.. so just relax and enjoy the music. Point B : "skill" is relative to each person as an individual.. some guy may get up and shred the frets off a guitar and all the teenagers in the music store will melt with envy.. while the 50 year old dude in the corner just smirks.. ! and thinks.. meh.. !

*play your own way bro, and you'll have years of enjoyment to come* !
you can probably play more cool **** than i can but i'm more of a melody guy y'know hahaha. but i wouldn't worry about it too much unless you plan on entering a guitar playing competition. play for fun thats wat its all about.
how do you only know the A minor pentatonic, and not the rest of the pentatonics?

learn the box and the extensions, and then you could play a solo in any key!! yay!!

edit: like the other guys said, enjoying it matters most, but still, learn the box...
its so so. wouldnt say ur like useless u just prolly could do better if u practised an hour a day. and i mean disciplined practise like....15 min of blockhead warm ups( 1234 1234 1234) and then some difficult licks practising techniques( alternate picking, sweep picking, string skipping) and then the rest of the 30 min practising ur favorite songs and YES LEARN NEW SOLOS!!!
just put them on guitar pro and put the x0.50 button on so u get it half speed and learn them....then speed up...simple man

oh and get guitar pro if u havent already it WILL help you!
What do you think these 'child prodigies' that can play 32nd notes at 250bpm get out of life? Nothing, because they don't have one. Playing guitar is a hobby, and for those lucky enough, a career. So it doesn't matter if you can't play EVERYTHING, just practice whenever you want, so when the time comes, you can impress your mates... Instead of practicing for hours and hours straight, only to find you have no mates to play to. So just enjoy it, and if you enjoy something, you learn quicker.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here
Soo true. I'm waaay too concerned about my playing ability. I need to just have fun.
Thanks guys!

I appreciate the encouragement, really do. I just get down alot when I think about all the money i ve spent, i feel like i should be another Steve Vai or something...the i forced my self to learn alt. picking and now some old 'Tallica stuff i've been wanting to master for years and years is like impossible. When I try and down pick MoP th low E string sounds like a damn Apache helicopter is taking off because i can't keep a consistent fast down stroke for very long, so the heel of my right hand comes off the string un mutting it then comes back down to mute it its frustraiting! No to mention i can't spell
Rob
dude for a guy playing for 10 years.........that is seriously weak
i have been playing guitar for 4 years and im comfortable with all the solos of COB, Dragon Force, Arch enemy etc......
you might not be all that bad............but u should do some new stuff........learn some new solos......practice more and try to do something new on your guitar everyday
Well solos dont really matter depending on the style of music you play. Most of the music I play doesnt have crazy solos.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
I think everyone has a certain level of insecurity with their playing. It's only natural. If you really want to get better then (brace yourself) I suggest learning theory. I know, I know. You are probably thinking "Ugh, but that's so boring and really confusing." Well it doesn't have to be. Search for "The Crusade" under the columns portion of this site. The author really takes a lot of the boringness away from learning theory and makes it much less confusing. It doesn't take too much time out of your life to learn and it will help your playing so much, even if you only want to play covers.
Stop whining and learn your theory!

Quote by oddhawk676
Yeah, some black guy with a yankees cap walks into the ice cream parlor, and I said "We dont serve your kind here," as in, yankee fans, i guess he thought something else and left.
Blood Venom ? when did being a good guitarist become about what Covers you can do ?
I really fail to see what is so impressive about being able to play other peoples work.. I think I'm a very good guitarist.. but I really don't know many covers,, why ?? because I'm more interested in being as unique and skilled as EVH, Satriani,Vai,Hendrix,Gibbons,Hammet, etc.. Not actually being them ! !
You're better than me that's for sure.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Hey, it's nice to do other people's solos but your on your **** when you can make YOUR OWN! I agree with everyone else. Have fun man.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Sounds to me like you don't have the best ear for music. Try the pentatonic scales, but stop at the key notes, and make sure you are listening to all the notes very carefully, including them. Go slowly and listen. Once you can distinguish notes better by ear, I think you will progress faster and be able to play the songs that elude you.

I'm the same way and my problem is my ear. And probably always will be.

I totally agree with learning theory and think this will go toward your ability to distinguish different notes, without needing tabs in front of you.
Time to get some theory under your belt, things become a lot easier when you begin to understand what it's all about...read the Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I started playing because i saw people like eddie van halen and randy rhoads playing guitar and most importantly, enjoying it. I figured i'd give it a shot, and here i am today. No, i can't play any licks that'll melt your face off. No, i don't know a whole lot of theory. But i enjoy it. That's what you should play for.
I don't know why everybody is saying "don't learn other people's songs, write your own!". I've been playing guitar for a good 4 years, and I write most of my stuff. Plus, it's fairly technical. However, I didn't figure everything I know from nothing. I learned a lot of Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, and Beatles songs. Learning other songs is a great way to develope your own sound. Sure, you don't want to be your idols, but you do want to take their influences and fuse them into your own unique sound.

Oh, and learning theory is definately a good idea. Also, try to learn songs by ear. This can be infinitaly useful.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by blood venom!
dude for a guy playing for 10 years.........that is seriously weak
i have been playing guitar for 4 years and im comfortable with all the solos of COB, Dragon Force, Arch enemy etc......
you might not be all that bad............but u should do some new stuff........learn some new solos......practice more and try to do something new on your guitar everyday

Actually I'm in the same boat as the OP. I haven't been playing 10 years but still. People get busy. For me it was college and now law school. Some of us aren't able to play as much as we like or should, but that's life. So don't come off as an arrogant asshole because someone doesn't have as much time due to real life obligations.

OP: Don't worry about it. Just pick up where you've left off and start learning again. That's what I'm doing and there's really nothing you can do about it now, so you might as well not dwell on something that will only hinder your progress.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You shouldn't care. Just play.

Who cares if you can't play for the life of you? Just have fun.

No one cares if you suck anyways.

Unless you're playing loud in a guitar store.

+1

And I wouldn't worry about how much money you've spent on gear. Guitar playing for most is a hobby just like any other, and gear is all a part of it. Sure it's expensive as hell, but it's very rewarding as long as you're having fun.
I've been playing 10 years now, I'm still not all that technically proficient. Not everyone is a virtuoso, but if it's fun, keep doing it.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
I don't know any "real solo's" off of pop music. I improv most of it. I get satisfaction out of improving. Pentatonic scales kick ass! Don't ever let anyone tell you otherwise.
Quote by jshwak
your missing the point of playing guitar,, thus you won't ever get any satisfaction out of it..
Point A : There are no rules when it comes to playing guitar.. so just relax and enjoy the music. Point B : "skill" is relative to each person as an individual.. some guy may get up and shred the frets off a guitar and all the teenagers in the music store will melt with envy.. while the 50 year old dude in the corner just smirks.. ! and thinks.. meh.. !

*play your own way bro, and you'll have years of enjoyment to come* !

+1.

Don't get hung up on it. If you're constantly worrying about making progress, you won't make any. Your brain does it's job best when you're comfortable, relaxed and focused.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.