I am planning on going to Europe after I graduate high school, and Germany is one of the stops. I want to go on the Nurburgring, but I heard it is super dangerous. (200 or so deaths) and from what I have seen on Top Gear, it does look dangerous. I'll probably just be taking some rental car on the track, and I have little experience as a driver. For any of you that know anything about it, are there any instructors that can take me out or anything? Thanks,
Be cool.
just drive slowly at first, and gradaully build up your speed around the track... however dont go flat out, or you will end up off the track. study the track lay out, it might sound overkill but if your planning on taking corners and driving over ridges at 70mph+ itll help to know whats around the corner or over that ridge.
Well, if Captain Slow can drive a Tuscan round a circuit, you sure as hell can drive a rental around Nurburgring!
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Quote by hellbound_jonny
Well, if Captain Slow can drive a Tuscan round a circuit, you sure as hell can drive a rental around Nurburgring!

Despite his nickname, James May actually isn't that bad of a driver on a circuit. He can actually go round pretty fast. He could probably give Clarkson a run for his money.
Be cool.
Start doing autocross or going to some track days while you're here in the states and get some experience with race driving. I never realized how dangerous it could be until i was sideways at 60 looking at a tree
Quote by irishstang_87
Start doing autocross or going to some track days while you're here in the states and get some experience with race driving. I never realized how dangerous it could be until i was sideways at 60 looking at a tree

Did you crash? Were you ok?
Be cool.
Quote by thedude051
Despite his nickname, James May actually isn't that bad of a driver on a circuit. He can actually go round pretty fast. He could probably give Clarkson a run for his money.

Despise being Captain slow. James may is the fasted of the three guys (well maybe not the Hamster), as he managed to reach 407kmph in the Bugatti Veyron.

A lot of people underestimate driving fast around a circuit. They think its pretty easy and don't realise the potential dangers of it. If you lose control of the car for once and you're not much experienced, you can very easily end up killing yourself. At speeds of over 100mph, everything is happening so fast, a non racing driver usually doesn't have the time to react to anything that goes wrong. If your car slides, an unexperienced driver would find himself crashed into the wall before his brain could react to the slide and correct it.

Thats why drivers train for years before they get into racing sports. You need to train your body to reach fast to situations that can happen at those high speeds before you can potentially get killed. Most people are not trained for that at all, they think they can put a hot lap around the Nurburgring as soon as they get into a car, they drive around, they don't know much about their cars limits and how far they can push it, they push the car a little too hard and over its limits, the car slides, they can't react fast enough to the slide that in no time they find themselves in a rubble by the barriers.

So go slow and don't underestimate the ring.
Quote by thedude051

But Clarkson isn't that great either! Tiff would own him.
MAN CITY

De Montfort Uni
Quote by hellbound_jonny

Well Tiff is an ex F1 driver. He'ld definitely own Clarkson.
Quote by thedude051

Stopped about a foot from it. Was shaking so bad I couldn't let off the brake pedal for a few minutes. Moral of the story... Just because you're 17 and watch Top Gear doesn't make you the Stig.

I got over it and am a pretty decent driver now, I'd love to go to the ring.
Quote by hellbound_jonny

Tiff is/was a professional racing driver.
Be cool.
Why not try playing some video games that have the Nurburgring in it like Forza or Grand Turismo or something.

I have decent knowledge of the track layout from playing games.
gear

Epiphone SG-400
Agile AL-3100
Schecter Damien-7 (EMG 707 swap)
Peavey JSX Head
Peavey 412 Cab
Boss GT-10
Yamaha FG720S Acoustic
Quote by Demonazzz
Why not try playing some video games that have the Nurburgring in it like Forza or Grand Turismo or something.

I have decent knowledge of the track layout from playing games.

There're usually a few corners missing in the game than on the actual track.
And then again as Jezza said, when you actually crash on a track, you can just press reset and start again, its just game over and thats a totally different experience while playing the game and actually driving on the track.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EJWTpeHzwF0
Quote by af_the_fragile
There're usually a few corners missing in the game than on the actual track.
And then again as Jezza said, when you actually crash on a track, you can just press reset and start again, its just game over and thats a totally different experience while playing the game and actually driving on the track.
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=EJWTpeHzwF0

There's an add on version for GTR2 that's incredibly accurate, it's been compared to in car footage and pretty much checks out. There's no way to prepare yourself for the real thing, though, listen to the interviews with the guys in that Top Gear episode.
Quote by madbasslover
What's the Nurburgring?

It's a 13 mile race track in Germany that is open to the public.
Wiki page
Keeping it real since '92
It was br00tal on forza 2
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by madbasslover
What's the Nurburgring?

28km road/racetrack in germany

they used to run the formula one it up to the late 60s but stopped because it was too dangerous (though the do still race it there...just not on the old circuit)

now its registered as a one way public toll road with no speed limit
costs 21€ for a lap
Last edited by seljer at Aug 26, 2008,
i heard somewhere that a person dies every two weeks or something, not the same guy obviously, but i'm not sure if the source was to be trusted (was some guy at school) i would say that it would be dangerous, pay a small(ish) amount and race, loads of people do it, lots of traffic - more crash risk. also keep concentration 10 minutes~ round the same place cant be easy to keep concentration
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
TS just take the first lap slow, but try and get a sense for your car's limits. Preferably in a more controlled environment, like in a big parking lot or something - just to get a feel for the over steer and stuff. And don't ever be too timid on the brakes. I mean be smooth and sensitive, but don't be afraid to slow down a little more than you want to.

And like someone else said earlier, study the layout. Start now. It will be so much safer and you'll have a lot more fun if you know what's around the next bend in the road. If you don't, you may find yourself gunning down a short straight away that immediately goes into a sharp turn, but you're still going straight.
We're only strays.
Quote by thedude051

No, his car's just positioned so that he lays down sideways when he drives.
GO YANKEES!
Yea I played the hell outta that track on Gran Turismo 4. May I suggest buying the game and practicing?
Co-Founder of the Puttsecks Group

Listen to my Lux Aeterna remix and other random songs! Comments?

Quote by ShelbyLynn
vicd08, your avatar is suckin up my life, and stealing my thoughts...

Quote by HanPlaysBass
I just want to say that your avatar is simply the best thing in creation.
Honestly, I doubt they'll let an inexperienced driver get a rental car if you plan on going round one of the hardest circuits in the world.

I don't think you'd enjoy it anyway. You'd be shitting yourself and wouldn't be going that quick.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I found this on a google image search for "Nurburgring Crash"

GL.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

Quote by thedude051

James' driving style is the one best suited to driving on a track anyway. Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. Plus he got lessons from Sir Jackie Stewart, so that always helps

In response to topic creator, yes the Nurburgring is quite dangerous, but if you take your time, learn the limits and learn the track, you'll be fine.
Brad Delp - June 12, 1951 to March 9, 2007 R.I.P
Quote by moody git
i heard somewhere that a person dies every two weeks or something, not the same guy obviously, but i'm not sure if the source was to be trusted (was some guy at school) i would say that it would be dangerous, pay a small(ish) amount and race, loads of people do it, lots of traffic - more crash risk. also keep concentration 10 minutes~ round the same place cant be easy to keep concentration

you mean its not possible to die several times?
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.