hey UG community, I am writing a song and i want a diverse time signature set up so i was wondering something. Is it possible to have more than one time signature per song. you know like maybe 3/8 time for 4 measures and then switch it out to something like 12/2 time. all help is appreciated. thanks
yes
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
yea that's normal to do in songs, especially if you're making some kind of significant change in the music. an example is in the allman brother's "jessica" between the piano solo (in 4/4) and guitar solo (in 4/4) there's a little run done in 3/4 that sounds kind of like triplets or something. hope this helps.
keeeeeeewwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllll that is not only awesome news but...... well you know whats better awesome so you get the picture. k thanks guys cause in the song im writing i think the intro will be like 7/2 or 5/4 but the fill in and the verse will be 6/8
Yea. But dont do a key change or a time change just for the sake of using it.

Only use it if it really fits.
you can use this kind of thing in a composition to make totally abrupt changes that deliberately don't fit... so apply what zeppelinfreak51 says with a wide interpretation... even jarring changes can be used to good compositional effect... check out the end of 'The Ocean'... it takes the grouping of 3 notes to form the basis of a 12/8 swinging rock beat... fairly unexpected but the sudden transition works

incidentally, if you like changing meters you should check out Frank Zappa's music... they're everywhere...
out of here
why would you use 12/2?
2/2 would be exactly the same.

you should check out erotomania by dream theater. it's time signature heaven.

and unless you really know what you're doing, you should avoid time signature changes. it can give you a real headache / ruin a song.
Quote by inflatablefilth
you can use this kind of thing in a composition to make totally abrupt changes that deliberately don't fit... so apply what zeppelinfreak51 says with a wide interpretation... even jarring changes can be used to good compositional effect... check out the end of 'The Ocean'... it takes the grouping of 3 notes to form the basis of a 12/8 swinging rock beat... fairly unexpected but the sudden transition works

incidentally, if you like changing meters you should check out Frank Zappa's music... they're everywhere...

Exactly.

When I say fits, theres obviously a wide range of acceptability.

But if you but in a change just to have a change, it will probably seem awkward unless you REALLY know what your doing.
do what you want, this is music!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
never mind those lot check out rush for some real inspiration they are all amazing and they use a lot of time sigs
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
k guys thanks and i totally agree unless its just a time sig change for the sake of change then i wont do it but in the song if i dont change the signature it could get really awkward