Hey how do I get Green Day sounds? My current pedal sounds crap compared to loads of Green Day songs. I need it to be good for palm muting and stuff. And I've heard on American Idiot that I think Billie Joe uses the same pedal all through the album. Maybe he uses this pedal throughout other years? I just want a decent pedal for playing Green Day songs. Maybe a BOSS DS-2?
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

Guitars: Fender

Pedals: Behrigner Ultra Metal
What amp are you using?

I think even though he uses a distortion pedal, a lot of the sound is from the amplifier.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
his tone comes from an overdriven tube amp + his pickups. he uses a P-90 on american idiot.
Gibson Les Paul + Orange Tiny Terror = Sex
Quote by Meddled
Effects? Like none at all perhaps?

+1

green day probably dont know how to use effects
STEAM: beachhhhhhhh

Quote by cornmancer
Please daddy, just for one hour.
I'm still using a Park amplifier which I find to get a hard sound. I turn the gain up to full and also use disortion on my pedal at 3 O Clock
Fave bands: Nirvana, Green day, Muse, QOTSA(queens of the stone age), Metallica, Led Zepplin.

our advice is: buy a new amp!

and you're probably using too much distortion and just don't realise it
Quote by AsianShredder09
his tone comes from an overdriven tube amp + his pickups. he uses a P-90 on american idiot.

I'm not really sure what mean by an Overdriven Tube Amp and pickups. Also I looked up the P-90 in reviews and nothing came up. Did you mean Boss manufacter?

Seljer: Yes I will buy a new amp soon but still, I have problems getting Clean sounds as it has not got a Clean Channel.

I'm going to have a hard time getting effects then.

Basically what everyone is saying, but you dont understand, is their sound doesnt come from their pedals. So start looking for a new amp, not pedals. The majority of anyones tone comes from their amp.

</thread>
I was thinking on purchasing a Marshall. So its not about pedals. I just need to save up for a amp. Its still really bugging me though, I don't get any Clean Channels but I will soon, at least I think I will.

Quote by Insomniac_123
I'm not really sure what mean by an Overdriven Tube Amp and pickups. Also I looked up the P-90 in reviews and nothing came up. Did you mean Boss manufacter?

Seljer: Yes I will buy a new amp soon but still, I have problems getting Clean sounds as it has not got a Clean Channel.

When you turn the volume of a tube amp up, it eventually reaches a certain volume, then it starts to get more and more distorted the more you turn it up - its an incredible sounding overdrive tone.

As for pickups - a P-90 is a type of pickup, not a specific model/manufacturer.

Here's a pic of some P-90s

They are typically used on older or cheaper gibson guitars but they do still make guitars with P90s, as do other companies. Even fender have a couple of guitars with them. But it won't really benefit you at this point to go looking around for guitars with specific types of pickups - you need a better amp at this point, because another pedal won't actually be an improvement - it'll sound different, but not better, if you know what i'm saying.

edit: what marshall are you planning on getting? If its the MG, DON'T, because the MG is basically a rebranded version of the amp you already have with a different control layout.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

Quote by Insomniac_123
I was thinking on purchasing a Marshall. So its not about pedals. I just need to save up for a amp. Its still really bugging me though, I don't get any Clean Channels but I will soon, at least I think I will.

Wait, you have an amp that doesn't have a clean channel? I'm so confused.
Quote by Vincent Vega
Haikus are awesome
but sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

Quote by KissingShadows
People always tell me I solo like Zakk Wylde. Thats how I know that I suck.
I second, third, fourth...getting a new amp.

I was looking at Billie's gear and it looks like he doesn't really use any pedals. So save up the big bucks and get yourself a Marshall (maybe a combo could do the trick for cheaper?).
Yes. I can see the point of getting a new amp instead of a distortion pedal right now. But I'm still not sure about a Tube Amplifier.

Quote by Insomniac_123
Yes. I can see the point of getting a new amp instead of a distortion pedal right now. But I'm still not sure about a Tube Amplifier.

what aren't you sure about? If you're on a budget, tube amps are actually a better option, imo.

Well I'm just going to make my mind up about this wide selection of amps.

Quote by Blompcube
still make guitars with P90s, as do other companies. Even fender have a couple of guitars with them. But it won't really benefit you at this point to go looking around for guitars with specific types of pickups - you need a better amp at this point, because another pedal won't actually be an improvement - it'll sound different, but not better, if you know what i'm saying.

Jazzmasters don't have P90s

though that thinline tele thing did
As far as I know, he uses a heavily modded Marshall of some kind, and uses an overdrive pedal to give it some more punch. Plus, when he's playing, he hangs his thumb over the edge of his pick, so that his thumb strikes the strings as well as the pick itself. Tone is in the fingers. Whack a JB in the bridge of your guitar for earlier stuff, and a P90 for American Idiot.
Quote by seljer
Jazzmasters don't have P90s

though that thinline tele thing did

i wasn't in any way referring to the jazzmaster as i'm aware that those aren't P90s. I was referring to that TC90 (is that what its called?) mainly - as a local shop has one. there aren't many fenders with P90s, but they do exist.

I'm going to break it down for TS:

Greenday make their sound using a valve/tube amp turned up LOUD. One of these should cover it:
http://www.marshallamps.com/product.asp?productCode=2266C
High cost though.

Cheaper alternatives:

http://www.traynoramps.com/products.asp?type=3&cat=63&id=318
Or if you don't need cleans so much:
http://www.orangeamps.com/products.asp?Action=View&ID=103
TS - it seems from your current setup that you're simply adding far too much distortion. Until you get new gear, I say that you roll back the distortion on the amp. If you like whatever pedal you're using, set the amp clean and then set the pedal at half distortion. Then work from there. If you use too much distortion everything will sound horrible.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
P-90s = Gibson's single coil pickups
Ain't nothin wrong, ain't nothin right, and still I sit and lie awake all night...
Not quite. They are single coil, but wound really think so they have the punch of a humbucker with the tone of a single coil.
Quote by cheswick
I'm pretty sure a tremelo effect is used for boulevard

I think so too.
But I know its about amps but it would still be good to see what pedal he uses. I'm just low on bucks and I need a amp and fast. My amp is very damaged as rough use.

Last edited by Insomniac_123 at Sep 3, 2008,
I'd look at those marshall voiced amps bartdevil linked you too. Don't skimp on it.

On a side note, considering they're one of your 'favourite bands', please learn to spell zeppelin...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Whatever.

Does anyone now how he gets that guitar sound on Dookie?

Billie Joe doesn't use any effect himself, the second guitarist handle all the leads and effects. billie joe mainly uses (these days) a signature Les Paul Jr with an "H-90". it's a hotter version of the p-90, but stacked so it's less noisy.

his main amp is a bob bradshaw (of Custom Audio Electronics/pedal board JESUS) modded Marshall Plexi. it was modded to have a more beefed up Pre-Amp Section (vis-a-vis, more gain).

his guitar for most of his older stuff up until nimrod or warning (not sure wich one) was a Fernandez Strat clone (nicknamed Blue) with a Seymour Duncan JB humbucker in the bridge. after that, he started using Les paul Specials and eventually moved on to Les Paul Jrs for American Idiot.

hope this helped.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Holy epic bump batman...
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Thanks! That did help.

Because I am more into the old Green day sound and that is what I need to find out so thanks again.

Sry. I had to bump. I can't find anywhere else.

Quote by Hoodoo Child
+1

green day probably dont know how to use effects

IT took you awhile to come up with that didn't it?
Quote by cheswick
I'm pretty sure a tremelo effect is used for boulevard

+1.
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
Wtf?