Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
My little brother is getting a digital drumset on his birthday, and as far as I know, he will also need a PA in order to get sounds out of it.
So I was gonna buy a bass and was thinking if maybe you could plug the bass straight into the PA.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
Great!
PAs use to have more than one hole to plug into right? So that the PA can make sounds for both the drums and the bass at the same time.
What is a DI?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Shukman_Jr
Monkey Theory
300 IQ
Yes, that'll work. My band uses a 4 track PA and we pump 2 vocal mics, a bass, and sometimes my acoustic through it.
If you laugh at this I get to have sex with you.
Click here to see the most beautiful guitar imaginable.
Quote by Jeltz
Sukman_Jr: Going on a trip to Finmark in Norway is a bad idea aswell! Beware of Nazi-zombies!
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
Cool. Thanks!
I really look forward to buy a new bass and learn.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
What is a good DI box then? Money shouldn't be a problem at all.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
If I buy a really really fancy one, will I get comparable tone to a real bass amp? I really wanna waste as little space as possible because it's a really small room we're gonna be in.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Jonnomainman
UG Monkey
389 IQ
Quote by Hultan
If I buy a really really fancy one, will I get comparable tone to a real bass amp? I really wanna waste as little space as possible because it's a really small room we're gonna be in.

Because when you play live at venues, your signal is often DI'd into the PA before it goes through your amp so your amp has no control over the tone, lots of bassists, have their own "really really fancy" DI box, like a Sansamp, so they can have some control and are not at the mercy of a sound engineer who knows sweet FA about your sound.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
biga29
1,157 IQ
Quote by Hultan

in my experience bass through PA sounds crappy,
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
jb_reborn
Im not a slayer fan.
260 IQ
i wouldnt do it without a preamp of somesort, otherwise you will have no control of ur tone, and it will sound crappy.
bojangleman
'drummer'
432 IQ
my suggestion would be that the speakers need to be at LEAST 12"s....i have 15"...and i dont like it...i still run mine through my amp and then mic my amp....

but if the PA he is getting, the speakers are anything less than 10's, i wouldnt do it...

and, he doesnt have to get a PA system...he could get a drum monitor system...just like to mains and a sub with 1 input..

Alex
Guitars:
Schecter Omen 6
SX Telecaster
Rogue Deadnought
Squier J Bass

Amps:
Peavey TKO 115
Line 6 Spider III 15 watt
Fender Rumble 15

Drums:
Yamaha, Lugwig, Pearl, CB Drums
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
Okay. I'm gonna get a 15" 180 watts PA speaker to give that little more bottom end.
I guess that would do good, right?

I was thinking of a Japanese 62 reissue Jazz bass > Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe DI Pedal and then into the mixer and then into the PA. (Apparently, I need a mixer before I plug into the PA because the PA only have one input or something)

My brother will have a Yamaha DTXplorer drumset into the PA.

A bit offtopic, but how are the japanese basses compared to the americans? I know little about basses.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
ScottB.
▘▘▘`
989 IQ
I've heard that they are very good, and for the price and what you get for it, they are the better than MIM and MIA Fenders.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
fatgoogle
Needs of cheese
1,192 IQ
Couldnt you get a power mixer so you can plug drums and bass into it and still have control of some tone i dont know if this is what your looking for though
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
fortysix&2
UG's IDM *****.
170 IQ
If you need a cheap DI, and this is the only time I'll suggest behringer, behringer actually make a decent DI box...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
even deeper
Flashlight reveries
718 IQ
yea its possible. dont expect any interesting tone.. but its definitly possible
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
I just wanna play bass while not having to have a bass amp taking up space.
Is the Behringer DI box better than the SansAmp?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
jb_reborn
Im not a slayer fan.
260 IQ
nope, sans amp is in a different league mate. but for the cheap price behringer is not bad. Get teh sansamp tho.
Hultan
Relicing are for posers
550 IQ
Alright. Thanks for the help, everyone
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
|Heretic|
110 IQ
Could you not put your bass into a eq pedal, then into the di box? That would give a little control over tone
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB
2,387 IQ
Quote by |Heretic|
Could you not put your bass into a eq pedal, then into the di box? That would give a little control over tone

A decent DI box will have an effects loop in it already (like the Bassbone, which has a DI out, amp out, FX loop, tuner out and 2 instrument switching), and any DI box should be alright to run your effects through, including EQ pedal.