Hey UG, I got my audition piece for my school's jazz bass program today, and I just had one question. In this one measure there are weird little triangle symbols above the notes and over the staff. They look sorta like this ^

I feel like I probably know what this means, but I forgot over the summer. Can anyone fill me in on what it means?

They are over quarter notes if that helps.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
if if what i think ur describing then it means accent the note....
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Fernandes Ravelle Deluxe
LTD EC-1000
LTD V-500
Zoom 707II Pedal
Vox Satchurator Pedal
Dunlop Cry Baby Slash
Marshall MG100DFX...
i think that's called a marcato. it just means to "attack" the note more than the others. i hope you understand what that means i can't really find a good way to describe it.
Ah, right! I knew I had seen it somewhere before . Weird, I can't remember ever coming across it in my classical studies but I see it all the time in like metal songs and stuff, haha.

Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
pick or finger the note slightly more precisely and pronounced. it's an accent mark, or "marcato"
Quote by Nakon14

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Crate GTD65
Vox DA5
im just gonna put "accented" so i get another post to my total. lol
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
Its technically an accent or one of those names, but many jazz musicians and teachers will refer to it as a house top (insert note value here)