Is there such thing as tuning a guitar up half a step or higher past standard? If so is this used a lot? My friend told me a lot of bands do this but I cant think of one. He also doesn't play guitar - only guitar hero, so I think hes full of ****.

Does anybody play higher than E standard?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Rory Gallagher did it on one of his guitars, a Fender Duo Sonic or something. You can only do it on a guitar with a shorter scale, otherwise the strings'll snap.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Or just use a capo. <_<

Guitars:
-Jackson DXMG (SH-2N, SH-6)
-Schecter Hellraiser C1 (18v)
-Ibanez XPT707FX (Blackouts)
-Ibanez BTB 400 Bass

Main Amp: Mesa DR Roadster

I think Weezer did it on a song as well, but yeah it is possible to tune higher than E Standard u just run the risk of snapping strings as previous posters have mentioned...so if you try it...dont push it too far!
Plague nailed it. Many acoustic artists use capos. There's piccolo basses which are bascally a short scale bass, tuned an octave higher. (Kinda weird, but Claypool has used them)
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
Well yeah I know people use capos of course. I thought he might have been wrong because of what you guys are saying, the strings would snap.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Capos, string tention

though on the other hand... Open F Tuning is used quite frequently.
You'll just see that ppl won't use highly varying tunings without adjusting string tention. If you just look at the notes of your lowest string, you'll see that there are only 12 possibilities (tuning an instrument an octave higher or lower is done by making a whole new instrument or by computers). Then again, tuning the entire thing up or down isn't done frequently either. Tuning is more of a relative kind of thing than an absolute one.
Some gothy bands do it too.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com