I've written a few songs usng chords but never really notes. I've tried and I basicaly have to guess at what the next best sounding note would be in the sequence.

Is there some kind of formula or something to help a person write riffs?
Quote by demiphoenix
Scales.

Or letting go of all formulai and just writing what sounds good in your mind.

I'll give scales a try then. thx

i'll still appreciate any other help from anyone else
Learn scales, find out what scale your progression is in, use that scale. Then get into the what function each of the notes in the chord plays and use that in your melody.
yh i get what you mean.

scales are the best to use.
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
wtf who are you people? scales are good to know but if you are running scales in a song, then **** you might end up being michael angelo batio. sounds boring

learn them sure, but what you have to do is just play what you can hear in your head and let your soul sing you what the next note is gonna be

EDIT: major lols at the guys who flamed me for saying to use non adjacent notes (thats the term i was trying to think of) yes apparently your improv sucks, most people say mine is very melodic and inventive. unfortunately i have no recording gear as of yet and it is not the highest buying priority.

but just to keep it clear, i know quite a lot of scales, i just think it sucks not to know how to use non-adjacent notes
BE HAPPY

Quote by ajmasterjaydude
so this kid at my school microwaved brussel sprouts for lunch, and when he was about to eat them one of them exploded on his face and burned him. i like turtles

in a thread about malmsteen^
Last edited by mosh_face at Aug 29, 2008,
Quote by mosh_face
wtf who are you people? scales are good to know but if you are running scales in a song, then **** you might end up being michael angelo batio. sounds boring

learn them sure, but what you have to do is just play what you can hear in your head and let your soul sing you what the next note is gonna be

i tell you what then record yourself improvising and upload it so we can laugh at your pathetic improv skills. how about that scale hater?!
Ibanez RG350DX
Line 6 Spider III
Cubase SX3
"BAWWW SCALES KILL TEH SOULSSS!!"

Scales give you a frame work to work within/from. No one ever said he should just run up and down them. If you know the key of a song and you can match that to a scale then you make life a lot easier for yourself because you'll start to be able to know the intervals and how they sound and work with each other.
Have your chord progression set, and play the notes of the chords to that progression/tempo.
thx guys! used scales and ive already written 2 pretty decent sounding riffs for my songs! really appreciate ur guys' help!
Quote by Conca
i tell you what then record yourself improvising and upload it so we can laugh at your pathetic improv skills. how about that scale hater?!

Hes not a scale hater. God damn conca you are on here saying misinformed ingnorant bull**** daily. Then when someone gives good honest advice you try to bash him. He didnt say he hated scales. He said you have to feel something. I feel music and jam out and then i find riffs i like. I know scales. I know how to play in key. If you just wank around in a scale thats exactly what you will sound like someone wanking around in a scale. You have to feel something to create something thats moving.

Lets hear some of your improv. You were just asking why your improv sounded like **** yesterday.

EDIT :
Quote by Conca
also when i improvise, i always land on crappy notes that sound horrible even though theyre in the scale. any tips?

also it sounds like a scale how do i stop that?

^ This is you yesterday jackass. Maybe you should listen to the advice your were bashing.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by mosh_face

EDIT: major lols at the guys who flamed me for saying to use non adjacent notes (thats the term i was trying to think of) yes apparently your improv sucks, most people say mine is very melodic and inventive. unfortunately i have no recording gear as of yet and it is not the highest buying priority.

but just to keep it clear, i know quite a lot of scales, i just think it sucks not to know how to use non-adjacent notes

I'm sorry, that is absolutely NOT true. I have only been playing a year, but I know that what he meant was using the scales as...Templates? Yes, I think that's the best way to put it. I'm not entirely sure if this is true, but I believe you can do it this way...
Make a chord progression
Take the roots of the chords in the progression, and play those as your riff.
Again, I THINK that's a way to do it, but I'm not sure. Forgive me and correct me if I am incorrect.
I LEARNED TWO-HANDED TAPPING ON MY OWN!

I am so happy, I could die right now, and it'd just be ok.

:P
Skyness you cant comprehend what he said. You think what hes saying is something against the use of scales which he is not. You suggest playing root notes of a chord progression to make a riff. Thats a ****ing boring idea. He suggested playing what you hear in your head and using feeling those are good ideas. If you cant feel anything or hear anything then you going to have a hard time making your scale do much. Ill say it again theres nothing wrong with scale nobody said or implied that.

Tyler scales = win if you know how to use them to express yourself
scales = fail if your stuck in a scale box and cant make music.