the time has come for me to finally get something so i can record my own works. i want to record stuff to my laptop and then use a program (i know there's a good amount of free ones out there) to layer guitar parts.

i'm not sure what the best thing for recording would be....a quality mic that goes into the USB maybe? i would really prefer to use the sound comin' from MY amp, rather a digital modelling program (no i don't really care how good it is). so i guess going straight into the computer from guitar isn't what i want unless i played everything clean. but if i get a mic (please advise which one) then i want it to be of DECENT quality. in other words, i HATE when clean sounds distort just from the volume being more than the recorder can handle, i want it to sound as close to what I'M hearing as possible!

i'd like to stay around $150 or less. gma and gpa can't afford much right now...and i'm not gonna ask for anything crazy. i hear the Shure mic is pretty much a standard. so whatever will give me as least amount of buzz/distorting from the mic would be GREAT!!! thanks

-Sharpie

slash_edit: oh yea and my B-day is on Sept. 9th to anyone who cares doubt hardly anyone will remember but it you do, it'll prolly make my day.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
*fellow LEO feel free to give a shout out
what exactly do i need the preamp for? is the mic not strong enough on it's own, or am i not even thinking correctly about the preamp?

does the shure mic come w/ a USB adapter? if not, where can i get one for best price possible? i don't have one of those mic jacks that has a USB adapter at the end
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Audacity is a free program that you can do that with. Idk about mic because you would have to get it into the computer somehow and if you're using a regular vocal/instrument mic you'd have to go through something.
$150 isn't gunna get you much.

You'll want a Shure sm57 or similar
USB 2.0 audio interface
Software of choice.

That's for decent to good recordings.

Or you can just get a jack to mini jack converter and use a XLR-Jack cable and plug straight into your pcs sound card. Although it will sound poor.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
^yea that's why i want to use a mic. i want as little buzz/distortion as possible from the mic. and yes i know that it isn't much money to play with, but if it gets my stuff out there a lil bit and i can finally compose a few songs, i'll be one happy mofo.

i was thinkin that shure mic would do, i'll prolly end up doing that then. could anyone give me a link or sample that was recorded w/ that specific shure mic? i'd like to hear for myself. i'm sure it'll do just fine but i'm still curious
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Almost any clips on UG and a huge amount of albums are recorded with a SM57. The clips in my profile were, but they're awful so I wouldn't pay much attention to it.

If you're going straight to the PC it won't matter what mic you get anyway, most of them will sound the same.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by seljer
software: Reaper is pretty damn good for being free/$50

mic: if you need mic a guitar amp, Shure SM57 is the way to go

then get yourself a recording interface of some sort with an XLR input: http://www.zzounds.com/cat--USB-Audio-Interfaces--2424

and you're good

Which is what I already said. But if you'd read, a good interface takes up more than his budget. Then add in the Shure mic which is a fair junk of his budget.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
ok so i think i get what you're saying now. just a decent mic alone isn't gonna do wonders, that's why you were advising a preamp/interface? i take it that cleans up/polishes the sound a lot? more tweaking? i could always get one later on...

as far as software goes, are there ones that include drum tracks? and how tweakable are the drum tracks if they do offer them? i mean i would like to have some drums w/ my stuff but i want the drums to be how I want them and prolly be picky and wanna edit w/ em. also, i'm talking about free software here...

you guys have been great help so far, i appreciate it
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
also, is there a specific model/name for the adapter that goes from the SM57 to the USB port?
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
Reaper is the best free software I've found. I use it on my Laptop because Cubase SX3 won't install on Windows Vista yet.

There's also Audacity which is really simple to use, but lacks a lot of things Reaper has.

Krystal is also another one, I keep meaning to try this one but I haven't yet, I hear good things.

As far as free drumming software, I honestly don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. I use EZDrummer for mine because I can write the drum tracks out with the guitar tracks on Guitar Pro, then import the MIDI file into the recording software and have EZDrummer play it. Or you can just use the samples they give you with it. Either way, great software, but not free unless you... pirate it
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Yea, plugging the best mic in the world straight into the pc soundcard isn't going to sound world class.

The mic works in the same way that a pick up does, it's a weak pull, so the pre amp in the interface amplifies that signal. I woudn't say it cleans it up, it just keeps it clean. A good pre amp won't add any distortion to the signal.

Plugging into the pc, as they're not designed for it, can fuzz up the signal a lot.

As for drums, I don't know any that come with set drum tracks, but ones such as Sonar, Cubase etc have synths in them so you can make you're own drum tracks.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by slash_rocks2005
also, is there a specific model/name for the adapter that goes from the SM57 to the USB port?

You wouldn't plug into the USB port. You'd get a XLR-Jack cable. Then get a jack to mini jack adapter, and plug that into you the mic slot on your sound card.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by MatrixClaw
Reaper is the best free software I've found. I use it on my Laptop because Cubase SX3 won't install on Windows Vista yet.

There's also Audacity which is really simple to use, but lacks a lot of things Reaper has.

Krystal is also another one, I keep meaning to try this one but I haven't yet, I hear good things.

As far as free drumming software, I honestly don't know of any, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any. I use EZDrummer for mine because I can write the drum tracks out with the guitar tracks on Guitar Pro, then import the MIDI file into the recording software and have EZDrummer play it. Or you can just use the samples they give you with it. Either way, great software, but not free unless you... pirate it

Krystal isn't bad but Reaper blows it out of the water in functionality
though I did knick Krystal's VST delay thing (20 stage digital delay = fun)
alright i see what you mean w/ the sound card, now what size jack to mini jack adapter do i need?

sorry for all the noob recording questions, i've never done recording other than just using a Kodak camera and extracting the audio from it.
My MAIN Gear
*Dunlop CFH
A 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch. It's the same size jack as headphones and stuff. 3.5mm I think it is if you wanna look at it that way.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
please read the stickies in the riffs and recordings forum, they will answer most of your questions. if you still have specific questions, please ask there.