I had a great idea what if we started a line of threads that were devoted to actual band work specifically covering songs. So I'm thinking that people can come to this thread to begin with and ask questions about all different parts about a song (drums, bass, effects, etc.) and people who can answer these questions (experienced musicians, the original artist??? maybe) could respond and answer any questions that that person has posted. So let's give it a try, I wanna be able to understand all the different parts needed, not necessarily how to play them but just all the different instruments and equipment i'll need to get a close sound to covering time by Pink Floyd. Maybe just different things to tell all the people in my band that they need to do.
Quote by Greendrag92
I had a great idea what if we started a line of threads that were devoted to actual band work specifically covering songs. So I'm thinking that people can come to this thread to begin with and ask questions about all different parts about a song (drums, bass, effects, etc.) and people who can answer these questions (experienced musicians, the original artist??? maybe) could respond and answer any questions that that person has posted. So let's give it a try, I wanna be able to understand all the different parts needed, not necessarily how to play them but just all the different instruments and equipment i'll need to get a close sound to covering time by Pink Floyd. Maybe just different things to tell all the people in my band that they need to do.

No.
Quote by Greendrag92
the original artist??? maybe

Yeah right, Dave Gilmour lurks the pit.

Quote by Greendrag92
So let's give it a try, I wanna be able to understand all the different parts needed, not necessarily how to play them but just all the different instruments and equipment i'll need to get a close sound to covering time by Pink Floyd.

You'll need the following:

1 Dave Glimour
1 Roger Waters
1 Rick Wright
1 Nick mason
4 Female singers

Edit: Oh, and of course, 1 Alan Parsons.

And then you're set.
Pink Floyd will be very hard to cover. There are just so many different parts. Their music is so complex.

My firm belief for covers: Don't make it a spot-on cover. If people want to hear the exact same song, they'll just listen to the original. Make it your own. Add your own feel to it. For example:

Devo's cover of the Rolling Stones' "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8fORGIhbAc

The Sex Pistols' cover of Frank Sinatra's "My Way"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXg9KUiy00
"Let's not be too rough on our own ignorance. I mean, after all, it's the thing that makes America great." - Frank Zappa while on the Arsenio Hall Show

Quote by vintage x metal
On a side note, TS, love the username. I'd kill to be under you.
I think a cover shouldn't e a rehash of the same thing. Listen to Boys of Summer by the Ataries, Land Of Confusion by Disturbed, What's Your Name by Theory Of A Deadman, and I Never Dreamed by Zakk Wylde (Black Label Society) for some really good and unique covers