So, here on the bass forum, we discuss, compare, contrast, and sometimes condemn all sorts of different brands of amps. And that's all well and good, it's been totally revealing for me and I'm sure many others.

But I bring up what I hope is a good point. We seem to be focusing on the amplification itself - which makes sense. But I realized today that I know next to nothing about which brands make better SPEAKERS.

I realize that most of the difference will be made at the amplification level, of course. But I also realize that, when one buys a full stack, the amp is usually less than half of the total cost - cabs aren't always cheap.

This might be a very vague thread, but can we throw around the ball about different brands' speakers?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Lots of manufacturers make their own speakers for their cabs, ie ashdown, mark bass, gk.

Some manufacturers use speakers from a different manufacturer, like Trace Elliot using Celestion speakers. Marshall also use them in their legendary guitar cabs.

Celestion are the cocacola of speakers, good quality, nice sounding, not too expensive. You know what you're gonna get from one.

My smaller amp has a 15 inch Celestion speaker in it. It gives a good, well rounded sound, just what you'd want from a 15. It also has plenty of definition, especially good for a 15.

Eminence are another big brand, IIRC fender has these in their bass amps, don't quote me on that though.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Ok yeah I'm pretty sure remembering hearing now that Fender uses Eminence. And I knew Celestion was well-respected.

How about the manufacturers who make their own speakers? I mean, I've had experience with GK and SWR speakers, and they seem to push the air like they should.

I don't know, I just feel uninformed on the topic, dig? Like, what really even makes a good speaker?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

Yea fender has started loading their bassman cabs with Eminence, now I personally have not gotten to play on one to hear the tone, but I have played on many cabs loaded with Celestions and it's like Jonno said, they're not too expensive and have got a good, clean tone. But...Eminence, in my opinion seems to be equal when it comes to specs. The only way to really find out which is best is to play on different ones and find the ones which suit your playing style
I believe Behringer makes their own Bugera speakers. They sound fantastic.

/lies

My Avatar B212 has neodymium Emince speakers, which according to Avatar are custom-made to have extra low-frequency response. I haven't played the cab with a really high-end amp but it sounded good with a low-end GK and currently sounds good with a Hartke HA3500.

Has anyone ever A/B'ed neodymium vs. ceramic speakers? I've heard neo ones sound less organic but never really looked for the difference. The ones in my Avatar sound organic enough...

As far as what makes a good speaker, I have no idea.
Quote by Jonnomainman
Lots of manufacturers make their own speakers for their cabs, ie ashdown, mark bass, gk.

Eminence are another big brand, IIRC fender has these in their bass amps, don't quote me on that though.

Few instrument amplifier manufacturers actualy make their own loudspeakers, what has always gone on is that many have speakers made to their own specs, just because it said Fender on the 12" speakers in their 70s Twin Reverb (not the JBL option) and other of their cabs/combos this did not mean that Fender made them.
Ashdown certainly don't make their own speakers they're just made to their specification.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Could anyone explain the sound difference of a 2x10 vs a 4x10 when used by themselves at the same wattage? I currently have a 15" cabinet but I'm looking to add something to it eventually. Can a 2x10 hold its own in a gig?

PS Peavey uses Black Widow, Sheffield, Scorpion and Blue Marvel speakers, although I'm not sure if they manufacture them. You can buy them separately on Peavey's website.
Quote by margeramann
Could anyone explain the sound difference of a 2x10 vs a 4x10 when used by themselves at the same wattage? I currently have a 15" cabinet but I'm looking to add something to it eventually. Can a 2x10 hold its own in a gig?

PS Peavey uses Black Widow, Sheffield, Scorpion and Blue Marvel speakers, although I'm not sure if they manufacture them. You can buy them separately on Peavey's website.

It'll be feel and projection over everything. The main point here is speaker radius, and the area of the speaker invovled. You see, the more air you move the better (The louder it will seem, the more you will feel the bass), and this is dictated by the speaker area. A 210 will have half the speaker area of a 410, therefore making it quieter, allot less present in the mix, and all round not as defined on an overall scale. If you are wanting to gig a 410 is a perfect basis to do so.

Take into account im no proffessional at this, and there are many other factors in the global equation of sound. But that's my input
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I think cabinets, just as much as basses (if not more), are a package deal. The cabinet that the speakers are put in make just as much difference as the speakers themselves do. Depth, height, width, material, placement, the like. The speaker is just one (albeit important) variable in the equation.

However, to add to what the legendary John Swift was saying, most cabinet companies outsource their speakers - but not Eden. Eden's entire cabinet is their own concept and construction, and therefore I trust them the most. I'm not saying I don't trust outsourcing - I'm just saying that a product whose every detail is taken care of by the same party has to be the product that the company intended it to be.

Eminence, JBL, Celestion - the way I see it, they're so friggin big that you can bet your bottom dollar that some of the best, worst, and most mediocre speakers come from them. They have the stranglehold on the market.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I think cabinets, just as much as basses (if not more), are a package deal. The cabinet that the speakers are put in make just as much difference as the speakers themselves do. Depth, height, width, material, placement, the like. The speaker is just one (albeit important) variable in the equation.

However, to add to what the legendary John Swift was saying, most cabinet companies outsource their speakers - but not Eden. Eden's entire cabinet is their own concept and construction, and therefore I trust them the most. I'm not saying I don't trust outsourcing - I'm just saying that a product whose every detail is taken care of by the same party has to be the product that the company intended it to be.

Eminence, JBL, Celestion - the way I see it, they're so friggin big that you can bet your bottom dollar that some of the best, worst, and most mediocre speakers come from them. They have the stranglehold on the market.

Good thing Eden's in my price range.

This is informative, Fitz. You've shown me the rabbit hole. I mean... I "know" that cab construction and dimension are pivotal, but I guess I didn't think to make that one of my focuses.

I love your point about the big brands covering the entire quality spectrum. Great insight.

Alright, I've got some things to go on now.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I love thefitz, kind of like a nerdy school girl loves the hottest guy in school. never actually speaking to him, but eavedropping on him stealing locks of his hair and giggling whenever he looks at me.

and he just doesn't even know I exist.
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by thefitz

Hi Fitz, you nailed it spot on there; most the profits at these companys are made mass producing bottom end speakers for the OEM market.
I picked up twelve 15" 300 watt neos recently from a consignment made to a companys spec; which means stripped of all frills ie solder conections instead of spring or screw connectors etc.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by ZaccB
I love thefitz, kind of like a nerdy school girl loves the hottest guy in school. never actually speaking to him, but eavedropping on him stealing locks of his hair and giggling whenever he looks at me.

and he just doesn't even know I exist.

Now I KNOW that was a sigging attempt, but... mission accomplished. The ironic thing is that in actuallity, I'm probably as nerdy as it gets. Guess it's backwards. If you're a hot chick.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..