Alright I'm gonna be playing my first really big gig with a new band. We're debating whether we should do more originals or more covers. We're playing in a town festival and we have a 20 minutes spot. That gives time for 5 songs. We'd really like to show off our songs, but we're afraid that the people will want to hear well known songs. We think our songs are pretty good. Do you guys think we should do 3 originals, 3 covers, or 3 covers 2 originals?

Thanks in advance!
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
You should get the band acquainted with each other by doing covers, but if you have enough time to practice together and are good enough songwriters, you should do mostly originals. You'll only need one or two well known covers, if your originals are good enough the audience will follow. Really you should only do covers if you can make it into your own, for instance my band does Take Me Out by Franz Ferdinand but in a metal style.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
We've been playing covers for a year, but no big shows. You can hear one of our songs here: www.myspace.com/knaves13. It's not one of our best, but it was the one we recorded because it was the first we wrote. I think our other songs are much better, but do you think if that's the lowest quality the other songs will be good enough?
The first question I ask myself when something doesn't seem to be beautiful is why do I think it's not beautiful. And very shortly you discover that there is no reason.-John Cage
There are a few important questions that are unanswered.

1. The person who booked you.... did they book you based on hearing what you can do with covers or originals? What are THEY expecting you to do?
2. The other artists who are playing..... are THEY playing covers or originals? Along with the answer to that, we will know what the AUDIENCE is expecting to hear.
3. You're going to establish yourself potentially in the minds of a good number of people. Do you want them to describe you as 'a good cover band with a couple of good originals' or as 'an original band who did a couple of good covers?'

My experience is that it also depends on the festival. At our local Rib-Fest, it is all classic rock/R+B cover bands. Nobody does originals. The audience wants to sit down, mow down on some meat, have a couple of beers and listen to familiar songs. Arts and Crafts festivals, community festivals, etc. tend to cater towards more original bands.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
There are a few important questions that are unanswered.

1. The person who booked you.... did they book you based on hearing what you can do with covers or originals? What are THEY expecting you to do?
2. The other artists who are playing..... are THEY playing covers or originals? Along with the answer to that, we will know what the AUDIENCE is expecting to hear.
3. You're going to establish yourself potentially in the minds of a good number of people. Do you want them to describe you as 'a good cover band with a couple of good originals' or as 'an original band who did a couple of good covers?'

My experience is that it also depends on the festival. At our local Rib-Fest, it is all classic rock/R+B cover bands. Nobody does originals. The audience wants to sit down, mow down on some meat, have a couple of beers and listen to familiar songs. Arts and Crafts festivals, community festivals, etc. tend to cater towards more original bands.

CT

1. He hasn't heard us and isn't expecting anything from us. There aren't enough local bands to say no to anyone.

2. I think the other bands are playing originals.

3. I want people to think of us as an original band. I would HATE people to think of us as a cover band.

It's called community day, and there are gonna be people coming up to see us, so we're not playing in the background. Do you think three originals are too few and people will still think of us as a cover band?

Thanks!
I would mainly do 3 covers and 2 originals, just for the sake of it being your first gig. And when you play the originals, tell the audience it's an original. They will appreciate the song, and you guys as more of an original band.
Play cover songs no one would recognize therefore no one knows. Or play a 20 minute jam. That would be awesome. Or mash up 5 songs into one long medley. Yeah.
If I were you, I'd start with a cover, then play two originals, then another cover, then end on the catchiest original that you have.

3 original, 2 covers.
Quote by Rocker_94
3 covers, 2 originals.

Going against the tide I see. Why do you think so?
3 originals and 2 covers
I'm not saying not to trust the internet, but there's an alarming discrepancy between the number of iPads I've won & the number of iPads I own.
4 originals, 1 cover.

...just to stir the pot a bit...

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote by axemanchris
4 originals, 1 cover.

...just to stir the pot a bit...

CT

5 originals and an intro tape, that's my final offer.
Five intros and an original EP on 8-track cassette tape!

BAM!

hahahahahahaha!

CT

Quote by axemanchris
Five intros and an original EP on 8-track cassette tape!

BAM!

hahahahahahaha!

CT

Sold to the Canadian with the eye for thrift and an 8-track player.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Aug 29, 2008,