Hi Guys,
I play anything from blues to classic rock to all out heavy metal. I already know that I'm going to have to get an OD/Distortion pedal for heavy metal with either of these amps. I was wondering which amp you guys would go with if you were me and why?
Thanks

Edit: I forgot to mention that I'm open to any suggestions as to which pedal to use to get my metal tones
Last edited by madnaz at Aug 26, 2008,
classic 30. better at a wider range of tones. the hrd has good cleans, and that's about it.

what's your budget, though? you're in the usa, i assume?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd have to say Classic 30 as well.

Unless you reside in Europe, where I'd recommend a Laney VC30.
Quote by madnaz
my budget is $500-$700 and yeah i'm in the usa.

Then neither. You have enough saved to get a better amp than either to suit what you play. I would rec a Traynor YCV50 for what you want to do. But look used on craigslist and see what is available by you. A Randal RG50tc would work well too, B-52, Mesa F-30 if you look hard enough over a little bit of time. Just be patient and look used to open up better options and save some cash. The amps you list are good amps, but there is better out there on the used market.
if you can stretch that upper limit slightly, i think you might be able to get a kustom coupe, which'd be a very good choice for a range of stuff- it gets pretty heavy on the overdrive channel.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kustom-36-Coupe-36w-1X12-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=480794 $850; there's a scratch and dent one under budget, but i've no idea how good condition those are in.

if you can't stretch, i'd probably get a traynor ycv40 or 50, depending on which you prefer- the 40 is more fendery, the 50 allegedly more marshally (i have only tried the 40). obviously try the classic 30 and fender hot rod too, just in case you prefer those.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?