Page 1 of 2
Muscle_Guitar
Banned
310 IQ
I keep hearing different stuff. I heard they make $1 an album or 0.10 an album. I heard they get all the money from concerts.

So what's the real deal?
BringMeTheCalm
UG's Redundant Redundancy
1,174 IQ
Metal bands generally don't make much and usually have to have real jobs, keeping the music on the side.
Quote by Mike Birbiglia
I went to the doctor, and they found something in my bladder. And whenever they find something, it's never anything good like, "We found something in your bladder AND IT'S SEASON TICKETS TO THE YANKEES!!

Do you folks like folk?
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
I'm what the exact proportion is but it's definitely true that unless you're selling like Metallica then you make the vast majority of your money from merch sales at gigs.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands
559 IQ
It depends on the band.

Lots.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Bair
UG Fanatic
2,875 IQ
probably like 2 dollars from a 25 dollar cd
"Spin the middle side topwise. Topwise!"

"And there's Jimmy Page, the biggest thief of American Blues music"
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
Pretty much nothing, considering there's 4-5 members at least in almost every metal band, and most metal is underground.

Money is not the reason people make metal music.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
poopsmith666
UG Nerd
1,396 IQ
Artists get ****-all from CD sales, most of their money comes from Concerts, endorsements(big name artists), and MERCH. MERCH MERCH MERCH
Quote by -Collapse-
Oh, hello mister tracer! Lets dance!
Quote by CodySG
And we all poop in the sandwiches!

New Drug Chat, Eh? CLICK HERE

pass: misterhoffman
AmpleSteak
Elitist fag.
1,273 IQ
I feel bad for the metal musicans who are 100 times more talented than people like soljia boy who makes millions...
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Wait....musicians make money?
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
zigz407
Has perfect jaw structure
230 IQ
Quote by Bair
probably like 2 dollars from a 25 dollar cd

$25 dollar cds!
Sucks for you.
Facebook.com/Notafluke
TheUnholy
Unholier than thou...
228 IQ
Very, very little from CDs

Considerably more from ticket sales.

Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) said that until the last album she was still having to get other jobs when the band weren't touring. Considering that Arch Enemy are fairly major players in the metal scene, and also that Angela probably pulls in a fair bit of money from photoshoots, this gives you an idea of how little extreme metal bands earn.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Dyer's Eve
I am what you see...
5,893 IQ
Enough to buy a cardboard box to sleep in. And a candle, if they're particularly good.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Vermintide
Leader Of The Rats
818 IQ
Quote by BladeSlinger
Wait....musicians make money?

News to me.

Where's my money?
ZylitoL
...Got Friedman?
560 IQ
Yeah, which is why I spent considerably more on merch than CDs. Most of the money actually goes towards benefiting the band.

Quote by TheUnholy
Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy) said that until the last album she was still having to get other jobs when the band weren't touring. Considering that Arch Enemy are fairly major players in the metal scene, and also that Angela probably pulls in a fair bit of money from photoshoots, this gives you an idea of how little extreme metal bands earn.

Wow. That's quite a statement.

Ouch.
Lost interest.
BladeSlinger
nerd
1,793 IQ
Isn't Cannibal Corpse the highest paid Death Metal band in the world at 30,000$ annually?
Quote by cemges
And tell, how come you became idiot enough

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.
1,670 IQ
Quote by MetalMusicianAl
i've always been curious as to how musicians get paid. in the form of a check like normal people or just get paid in cash.

Depends who's doing the paying I guess.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Album.
Legion.
bootyguard
dynamis
702 IQ
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Depends who's doing the paying I guess.

Probably like checks from the studio with invoices listing all the many studio deductions that makes their sales of 50,000 albums at $100

Quote by The Virtuoso
Yes, you sir win the internet!

Quote by saphrax
To put it crudely, every hole is a goal.

RawrSlinky
169 IQ
Quote by TheUnholy
Very, very little from CDs

Considerably more from ticket sales.

Wow, that's pretty sad actually. And to the $2/$25 CD guy, not even close. I believe I remember hearing something along the lines of the most any musician in the ENTIRE industry earns from CD sales is Celine Dion at $1/CD, granted she sells millions. Correct me if I'm wrong.
MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
consider the costs of vinyl/tape/cd pressing + jackets and the cost of making merchandise, most underground bands wind up losing money
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
powerhead
justadude
1,218 IQ
Quote by MHDrunk
consider the costs of vinyl/tape/cd pressing + jackets and the cost of making merchandise, most underground bands wind up losing money

Or at best just cover their costs.
Who was it that said that real musicians have day jobs? Some metal drummer I think - but that sorta gives you an idea.
powerhead
justadude
1,218 IQ
i once played a gig where bands got free booze. Another time I got a free jello-shot.
That makes me the highest paid musician in South Africa.
dead-fish
Professor Miseria Supremu
1,342 IQ
^+ gig booking + tour managing + every legal business + general band managing. So that's 3-4 people that the band doesn't have to pay, which saves them a lot of money, and he still lives in an average sized apartment.

On the other hand, apparently Nile have enough money to finance Kollias' trips to and from the US, because he apparently doesn't have a green card or any other means of legal extended stay in the US, apart from work visas.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
The vast majority of big metal bands' members are normal guys, in normal houses or apartments, with day jobs.

Like I said before - the only reason most of them keep it up is because they enjoy it, they're getting their music to the metal masses, and they're making at least a bit of money while having fun.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

fallenangel20
Kung Fu Treachery
3,727 IQ
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Bands get next to nothing from CDs

+1

The majority of their income comes from ticket sales, merch, and endorsements, if I'm not mistaken.

Also, did Alonso say in a past thread that some really big, influential drummer worked at a McDonald's for around 25 years or something like that?

the metal lifestyle is nowhere near glamorous, but damn if it's rewarding
Quote by Phill-Rock
The vast majority of big metal bands' members are normal guys, in normal houses or apartments, with day jobs.

Except Karl Sanders, who has a sarcophagus in his living room.

And Candy Land under his TV. haha

[/hopes someone remembers that thread/moment]
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Last edited by fallenangel20 at Aug 27, 2008,
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
^I do remember that, actually.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

las7
Me Shuggah!
542 IQ
The real money in the music buisness comes from singles/hit songs; which Metal bands don't make. I mean Vanila Ice probably made more money with one hit song then most Metal bands make during their entire life span. And even then the most sucessfull artists in terms of money in the music buisness arent rich thanks to CD sales
it's in endoursed tours/ big PR campaigns/ merch(or brands)/ or the creaton of a sucessfull label under the umbrella of a larger company.

A lucky Metal artist would probably be someone that can just about live without getting a second job.
Billy Picken
AllThatJazz
123 IQ
Ironic, that even knowing this, many bash bands for "selling out"
Phill-Rock
UG's Scheming Ruffian
1,575 IQ
Quote by Billy Picken
Ironic, that even knowing this, many bash bands for "selling out"

The people that know how little bands make are not the same people that bash bands for selling out.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Shining_Yrael
Hoping **** Music Dies
504 IQ
Doesn't the punk band NOFX make pretty good annual earnings?
Quote by gilly_90
Hi, I'm looking for some fruit, I can't decide between apples and oranges.
Which one is better?
Thanks
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by Shining_Yrael
Doesn't the punk band NOFX make pretty good annual earnings?

Well considering they've been around since the 80s, are extremely popular in the punk scene, and fat mike owns his own (fairly large) record company...yeah, I'd say they're pretty well off.
Hanzi_G
Screw You Guys
282 IQ
My guitar teacher was talking to the manager for Billy Talent, and he said that only now the band is starting to make some money, even though they've had many big hits.
Here's what the critics are saying about Hanzi_G:

Quote by SteveHouse
Hanzi_G = god damned prophet.

SIG ME GODDAMMIT
nebraskan
Churns the Maelstrom
351 IQ
Having people enjoy my music would be payment enough for me. Beer too.
If you see me in the pit, know that I'm only there because the metal forum is moving slowly.
Quote by Sn^ke

i think nebarskan is a cool guy, eh wears a nile and doesnt afraid of anything

Quote by stanleybach
Aren't you proud to wear that Nile? You don't afraid of anything man!
\m/Gaz
774 IQ
MY plan was always to get qualifications as something like a dentist, like a pretty good-paying 9-5 weekday job, to keep myself afloat, and then do my music on the side, not for the money, purley for enjoyment =]