Just wondering if its worth the $ to get something to plug my guitar into the computer through a usb cable, or if its no big deal to just use a headset mic and record vocals and amp (plus any other noise :P).

I looked into a couple products and was leaning towards the m-audio fast track usb: http://www.spacemanmusic.com/PA-Recording/Recording+Devices/M%2DAudio+Fast+Track+USB which i could get for $100. It allows simultaneous recording of guitar and mic, BUT I'd then have to buy a real mic (not a usb mic) and probably a mic stand which would add clutter to my already-cluttered computer/guitar area in my room. Alternatively there is something to convert guitar to USB without the mic option for more like $60, but not sure how great this would work since I dunno if I could record both vocals and guitar at the same time.

However I'm assuming that anyone who's adding in drums, bass, etc and trying to do decent quality recordings is using a USB connector for their guitar and a mic for vocals? Worth the coin for the quality? Or is it no big deal to just record through a headset mic with the amp cranked (see my profile for examples of how this sounds)
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack
you could get this something from line 6 called a toneport ( http://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6-TonePort-UX1-USB-Recording-Modeling-Interface-103373676-i1126366.gc ) which comes with a software called gearbox (it also comes with a "special line 6 edition" of ableton live which might be a demo i'm not sure) and gearbox models amps (Which don't sound cheesy, they sound very close to the real thing) and then you could record only vocals with the headset mic which wouldn't be horrible and you could do vox an guitar seperately which allows you to focus more on each. comment me for more info
Depending on what software you have, you could just use a 1/4 in. to 1/8 in. converter to record your guitar straight in and then use effects on the computer... I have done it before and it really doesn't sound bad. You could also just buy a cheap USB mixer and then plug your guitar in through that... Good luck!
Im just getting into it myself so i dont know much, but im looking into getting the Samson G-track. its about 150 USD and it allows simultaneous recording......idk just a thought
I hate my sig
I went today and bought the M-audio USB fasttrack thing (the $100 one i linked above). Hopefully it improves the quality of the guitar recording a lot!

Going to see how it sounds and if I can record fine with my headset usb mic - eventually ill probably buy a real mic and micstand but for now will start without.
My Gear
Epi Les Paul
Roland Microcube
Boss DS-1 pedal
Shure SM57
M-Audio Fasttrack