Page 1 of 2
Yo guys.
i'm a major (MAJOR) hendrix fan, and love at least attempting to play the guitar the way he once did.

i'm in the market for a new amp in the $400-500 range. so far i've only checked out Marshall and Fender models. what i'm really looking for is an amplifier that can most universally capture tones/effects similar to those of Jimi's.

that's to say, i want (if possible) both a clean channel that can interpret Jimi's cleaner guitar work, and an overdrive that can interpret his more feedback-ridden, heavy stuff.

Keep in mind-- i'm not very picky. I'm not in need of perfect recreation. all i'm asking for is advice on models that have the capability of achieving a sound/tone that can be considered Jimi-esque.

also... I'm not looking to invest extra money in pedals and external effects at this moment-- so it's always a plus if the recommended amp model has reverb control (delay would also be nice but isn't as necessary as reverb)

and finally... something that has nothing to do with amps whatsoever: any wah pedal recommendations?
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix
he used a Vox Clyde McCoy wah I think, and many Marshall Superlead Plexis. He also used Fuzz Faces. I don't think you can get the prefect sound with that budget but I'd try maybe a Fender Pro Junior/Blues Junior or a Peavey Windsor?

And get a Fuzz pedal, you'll regret not doing so.
Gear
Fender Jaguar > effects (x9) > Orange AD5

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE EUNEIROPHRENIAC σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by J Dylan
Yo guys.
i'm a major (MAJOR) hendrix fan, and love at least attempting to play the guitar the way he once did.

i'm in the market for a new amp in the $400-500 range. so far i've only checked out Marshall and Fender models. what i'm really looking for is an amplifier that can most universally capture tones/effects similar to those of Jimi's.

that's to say, i want (if possible) both a clean channel that can interpret Jimi's cleaner guitar work, and an overdrive that can interpret his more feedback-ridden, heavy stuff.

Keep in mind-- i'm not very picky. I'm not in need of perfect recreation. all i'm asking for is advice on models that have the capability of achieving a sound/tone that can be considered Jimi-esque.

also... I'm not looking to invest extra money in pedals and external effects at this moment-- so it's always a plus if the recommended amp model has reverb control (delay would also be nice but isn't as necessary as reverb)

and finally... something that has nothing to do with amps whatsoever: any wah pedal recommendations?

well you're gonna want a fuzz pedal, like it or not. like the user above me said, he used 100 watt marshall heads. doubt you can get one of those with 500 bucks. i would try and get a peavey classic used on ebay. or some fender tube combo.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
thanks for the pointers man. and yeah-- like i said... i'm not going for perfect. i just want a better setup than i have now, which is one with no hendrix-recreation abilities at all. plus... while i do ****ing love Jimi, it's not like his sound is the only one I'm going for.

and yeah-- my budget is definitely a little limiting right now. if you or anyone else has model recommendations that exceed my budget by a hundred or two... throw em' out there. i'm not opposed to stretching my budget if it's worth it
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix
This may seem irrelevant but i am wondering i see old vids of hendrix using a vox mcoy and then his signature pedal is made by dunlop????? Another thing bout effects dont forget the univibe and of course the strat
Do you want to gig with this amp, or just play for fun? I've got a Laney VC15, and it's really good for Hendrixesque cleans and some solos, for more distorted stuff you need a fuzz pedal (Big Muff that I have is pretty good, I don't say that it nails his tones but it's good enough and not expensive). You can always get Laney VC30 if you want to gig with it. Also, get a Vox wah-wah pedal, or an used Budda wah (they are quite expensive but worth it - you can always buy one in the future, of course) and you're set.

If you have a Strat of course. No Strat, no Jimi.

EDIT: I forgot that Laneys are expensive in the US. Still you could get an used Laney VC15 for that cash, I think, eBay is your friend!
Last edited by zombiak at Aug 26, 2008,
I bought a Carvin Vintage 16/5 about a month ago. I get great hendrix tones out of it, it doesn't have a distortion channel (I use an ibanez tubescreamer mainly) but if you turn the "soak" channel up it gets pretty crunchy without any pedals. but moreso I love the cleans on this amp, it's beautiful, and it has a knob for reverb control like you want.

If you want that true hendrix tone, however, you're going to need to invest in some pedals since he had a bunch of them.

https://www.carvinguitars.com/products/single.php?product=VINTAGE16
$399.99

I got mine for $415 flat (with tax and shipping)

as for the wah, didn't hendrix use a vox?
i've heard great reviews on the dunlop crybaby 535Q though, what are your guys thoughts on it for classic rock/hendrix tones?

this amp can switch between 5 to 16 watts with a switch on the back of the amp. if you're worried about volume, 5 watts was loud enough to play well over the drums, so 16 watts will be more than you need.

EDIT: I forgot i was using the tubescreamer when playing with the drums (it added a substantial amount of volume)
Last edited by LuckyDIM at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by LuckyDIM
as for the wah, didn't hendrix use a vox?
i've heard great reviews on the dunlop crybaby 535Q though, what are your guys thoughts on it for classic rock/hendrix tones?

Yup, he used a Clyde McCoy wah, the most precise reproduction of it is probably Vox v848 Clyde McCoy, or Fulltone Clyde. Also, Budda wah, based on old Voxes, but a bit more modern.

535Q is nice, I had it for a week now, so haven't really explored all of the options yet. It sounds good for me and it has a nice boost option, nice to push the tubes in the amp and get more gain. Still, it sounds Dunlop-ish, not as much piercing highs because it has the fasel inductor, yet not everyone like it. It's more for modern stuff, I think.
i should've mentioned this before...
no-- no gigging. I'm a purely recreational player... i play for my own enjoyment and never involve myself in anything more than jamming with a few friends.

also-- i'm opened to effects pedal recommendations, because even though i don't have the budget to buy them right now... I can always come back to this thread in a couple months and explore recommendations on an effect i'm looking for then.

thanks guys, i appreciate the tips so far
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by J Dylan
i should've mentioned this before...
no-- no gigging. I'm a purely recreational player... i play for my own enjoyment and never involve myself in anything more than jamming with a few friends.

also-- i'm opened to effects pedal recommendations, because even though i don't have the budget to buy them right now... I can always come back to this thread in a couple months and explore recommendations on an effect i'm looking for then.

thanks guys, i appreciate the tips so far

i think in terms of versatility, the peavey classic is gonna be a good buy. it has fender-like cleans and marshall-like crunch in two footswithable channels. it can be quiet and it can get loud. (1 speaker, 30 watts, all tube). and it sounds really nice. it's about 600 brand new. later on you could grab a wah and a fuzz pedal.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Go for the Peavey, get yourself a Euthmyia (sp?) Crucible Fuzz. They're fantastic. Really over the top.

And as far as anyone saying about no strat no Hendrix, what happened to his numerous Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Flying Vs and SGs?
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Go for the Peavey, get yourself a Euthmyia (sp?) Crucible Fuzz. They're fantastic. Really over the top.

And as far as anyone saying about no strat no Hendrix, what happened to his numerous Jaguars, Jazzmasters, Flying Vs and SGs?

You'd probably get a better sound for it, as I found out. I was using a Les Paul EQ'd to sound pretty much an SG or Flying V, to play some Hendrix (well, it was originally UFO, but then I did some Foxy Lady ), yet my Strat sounds better for it. 'Specially on the neck pickup.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Obviously but I mean, amps come first.

And consider that around 90% of Hendrix's tone came from his magical fingers. Don't underestimate ability.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by MoonageDaydream
Obviously but I mean, amps come first.

And consider that around 90% of Hendrix's tone came from his magical fingers. Don't underestimate ability.

+1

Tbh I'd concentrate on his technique... I think he used fender amps for alot of his cleaner recorded songs ala The Wind Cries Mary etc putting a decent fuzz on a fender amp is very nice anyhow
Quote by hellraiserharry
This may seem irrelevant but i am wondering i see old vids of hendrix using a vox mcoy and then his signature pedal is made by dunlop?????

his sister sold his name to dunlop...they can use it for whatever crappy wah they wanna sell...

the closest to an orignal coy is the fulltone clyde standard actually

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
What about a Fender Blues Junior

And This Digitech Effect

I don't think you can get closer than that... And for the other sounds, the blues junior is great for cleans and blues, and you can always buy other effect pedal you need to get what ever the sound you want.
Ok, Dylan, this is what you do: Save up!

I can't help you now, due to your budget, but if you want that sound in the future, here's the way to go:

early 60s Fender Bassman or Metro JTM45 kit. They both go for around 900$.

MXR Classic 108 pedal: It's a Jimi signature fuzz face, but in a smaller enclosure and has a buffer switch that diminishes oscillations. it's around 100$.

Fulltone Clyde wah pedal: Too lazy to search the price

Maybe a rotovibe-esque pedal..if you're really a Jimi fanatic.,,,,

Now, keep this information, because when you have the money, this will a great low cost-high end rig.....

But, (for shits and giggles) here's HIS amp.
http://www.metroamp.com/amps_jtm45.php

As you can see, music is an expensive hobby.........
Ceriatone?
Quote by drunkinkoala
you can be jesus.

Quote by Wesseem
most useless response i think i have ever seen on any forum ever.

Quote by Turkeyburger

Lolflag
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Please stop this bull**** about "tone being in the fingers". =/

If I had Jimi's exact rig, then I would have the same tone that he did. However, if we played the same piece, we probably would not sound the same.

Your guitar would sound the same if you were Jimi Hendrix, I guarentee if I had the same gear as you I would I would sound different. It's not bull, it's fact.
Gear

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
hey guys. i appreciate all the replies.

so, for my budget, which is now more like in the $500-600 range... i've been looking at the Peavey Classic 30/112 Tube Combo Amp. it's not exactly what i'm looking for-- but I'm not gonna get exactly what i'm looking for with the amount of money that I have. After checking out the model for a few days I decided that for the price it seems like a great buy.

Let me know what you guys think. more advice or opinions are still welcome, i haven't made my final decision yet and am still only in the very beginning of the process of doing so.
-Jimi Hendrix
i also am a huge jimi fan, and i got a used marshall jtm30 combo on ebay for about $450. its from the 90s but it does the hendrix cleans incredibly. for his fuzzed out sounds you could try to find a germanium transistor fuzz pedal on ebay. the germanium transistors were key to the warm fuzz sound. vox v848 for the wah, without a doubt. but as for the amp i would seriously look into the jtm combos from the 90s. if youre really dedicated the dunlop uni-vibe is also pretty boss.
Well, I don't know much about amp-wise except his Marshall Plexi heads. But soundwise, A DigiTech GNX3000 is about $300 and models almost all of his old sounds such as Purple Haze, Voodoo Child (Vox Wah and Fuzz), Little Wing, etc. That's all I got, sorry.
Ibanez SAS32EX
Caparison TAT II
Music Man JP 6
BOSS GT-10
ENGL Fireball 60
ENGL Pro Greenback 4x12

The best low-wattage amp to reproduce Jimi's sound would be a Marshall 1974 or a clone.

Preferably a clone.

Ask member Gabel about 18 watt Marshall clones. He knows his stuff in that regards.
first, a tube amp is a must for jimi's tone. Traynor YBA-1 Bassmaster = probably get it on Ebay for under 500 smackers. Basically, its a 50 watt JTM/bassman clone from the 60's/70's. i have no clue why these don't command more money on the vintage market, but it's good news for folks who want a good tube amp for cheap.

secondly, hendrix usually cleaned up his sound by lowering his guitar volume. so get some good pots with good taper.

thirdly, he only used five effects in total: Wah, Fuzz, Univibe, Octavia and sometimes Echo (for songs like Red House, not necessary, though). you can pick up a cheap, used standard crybaby and mod it, it will be cheaper than buying the 120$ jimi wah. fuzz is the simplest circuit known to man, thats a pedal you can build.

the Uni-v and the octavia did not play a more prominent role in his tone as much as his amp, fuzz and wah played, but if you have the money, get something like the BBE mind bender and the dunlop octavio.

lastly, the biggest aspect of his tone came from his soul. it came though by just being himself.

so just find your inner Jimi, and just have a total hippie Freakout, man!
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Here's a link to one of his setups http://guitargeek.com/rigview/354/ I'll be back with more info
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Fender '60s Reverse Headstock Strat
Epiphone G-310 SG
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
RP250 DigiTech Effects Pedal
DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience Pedal
An 18watter is a good start for Jimi's tone. Have a listen to the clip in my sig. Includes a small part of Purple Haze. Very good choice for Hendrix tone!

^Also DON'T trust Guitar Geek. They have a tendency NOT to check their sources. They stated that Eric Clapton used a Rangemaster in BLuesbreakers and a Fuzz Face during Cream. He never used any of them. When I did my Eric Clapton rig I had to basically debunk a lot of what GUitar Geek said.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
You're gonna need a marshall tube stack

with a fuzz face
and a vox wah
and a uni-vibe
I don't even shred
Quote by Gabel
An 18watter is a good start for Jimi's tone. Have a listen to the clip in my sig. Includes a small part of Purple Haze. Very good choice for Hendrix tone!

^Also DON'T trust Guitar Geek. They have a tendency NOT to check their sources. They stated that Eric Clapton used a Rangemaster in BLuesbreakers and a Fuzz Face during Cream. He never used any of them. When I did my Eric Clapton rig I had to basically debunk a lot of what GUitar Geek said.

Well the Hendrix Setup in that link is right
When The Power Of Love Overcomes The Love Of Power The World Will Know Peace - Jimi Hendrix

Epiphone G-310 SG
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix

how do you know?
I don't even shred
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix

They list his guitars as reverse headstock, which is wrong to being with. Secondly he was using a 1982 cab for the bottom during 1968. To start with. Oh and he had KT66 tubes n the Marshalls.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
They list his guitars as reverse headstock, which is wrong to being with. Secondly he was using a 1982 cab for the bottom during 1968. To start with. Oh and he had KT66 tubes n the Marshalls.

Any Source? Big deal least they got Strat I saw some idiot one day claiming the Strat he had a Woodstock was a Les Paul lol

Epiphone G-310 SG
Quote by Jimi M. Hendrix
Any Source? Big deal least they got Strat I saw some idiot one day claiming the Strat he had a Woodstock was a Les Paul lol

I duno if you know this, but pickup position and polarity play a fairly decent part in tone.
Same with string tension. If the lower string is extended to where the high E is, it's gonna have a different tone.

Also you would only need jimi's amp model and year to prove he had the specific tubes.

Don't mess. I've been to the experience music museum in Seattle and seen alotta stuff concerning hendrix.
I don't even shred
Update:
my budget has just increased to up to $700-800.

lemme know if that changes what any of you might suggest. actually, I could even go up to 1 grand... but I wanna save cash if i can (after the amp, i wanna save for a Classic 60s Strat... the reason for wanting to not spend a grand)
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by hellraiserharry
This may seem irrelevant but i am wondering i see old vids of hendrix using a vox mcoy and then his signature pedal is made by dunlop????? Another thing bout effects dont forget the univibe and of course the strat

That's nothing. I saw someone selling a white 1979 Strat with a "Hendrix Vibe".

Lots of morons out there is all I can tell you on that one.
hey guys... I've come up with a lineup of items I'm going to be purchasing over the next year or so to arrive at an ideal setup for Hendrix tones.

here's what I've got-- let me know what you think of the choices I've made... if anythings missing... if there are replacements that could be made to improve the set-up, etc. Also, feel free to recommend the order in which I should purchase these items.

note: i currently do NOT own any of the items listed below.

Guitar: Classic 60s Fender Stratocaster
Amp: Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 40W Tube Combo
Pedals: Vox Clyde Mccoy Wah-wah, Dunlop Jimi Hendrix Fuzzface, Electroharmonix Classic Polyphonic Octavia, Dunlop Univibe
-Jimi Hendrix
Guitar; That seems it'll be excellent for Jimi's sound.
Amp; Same as above.
Pedals; Again, impressive. Just make sure their in the same order as Jimi to get the right sound(Yes, order DOES matter, as I've found out many times).
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
appreciate the input man. anyone else?
-Jimi Hendrix
buy a used fender blues junior on ebay for around $250 then use the rest to buy jimi's sig wah and his sig fuzz or you can just buy a reg wah and get a used fender deluxe reverb, you want get a good enough tube marshall to do jimi for that little amount of money unless you get lucky like I did and Find a jcm900 head for $300
" Im so god damned horny the crack of dawn better be carefull around me."
- Tom Waits

Gear
Marshall Jcm900 50w Head
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Telecaster w/ rosewood neck&Emg's
EHX Holy Grail
Tone Bone Hot British
Page 1 of 2