So, I am looking to put together a rackcase for myself. I am going to be running through the ampeg 10x8 and a crate 15" amplifier.

Now here is the question, I have never ventured out to do something like this before.. I was wondering what components I should be putting in here and if you could help to explain to me what it is that some of these things do.

I know I will need
A: Power Condition
B: The "head" to run the amps on.
C: I want to add a tuner to the mix.

A friend of mine told me to look into getting a pre amp, could anyone please explain the function of this in dummy terms, because I have no idea what it's purpose is and other things that could be useful.

Thanks for the help
So, by saying that, it means that the second preamp my friend is suggesting is just for a more accurate sound?
So.. basically my friend doesn't know what he is talking about and all I really need for a rack unit would be the head (SVT PRO3) and The rack tuner?
Quote by Nikka2609
So.. basically my friend doesn't know what he is talking about and all I really need for a rack unit would be the head (SVT PRO3) and The rack tuner?

Yes. If the head is a head and not a preamp (not familiar with SVT's). Sounds like he's a tad full o' crap

You might also want to look into getting a compressor.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Awesome thanks for the help.... The power conditioner would still be useful too, right?
And as far as compressors go... I am running throuogh the digitech BT200, which has compression in it.. will I need to buy something more?
Yes get a power conditioner (FURMAN) and the comp in your multiF/X is good enough but there are better...of course
A power conditioner is always a good investment. If you already have the head, then that's good, but if you don't have it yet and have some money to spare, I would opt for getting a separate head and pre-amp. It allows you to switch out tones while keeping the same power if your tastes in tone change, or upgrading your power if you need more. (With an 8x10 and a 15", I can't imagine you would need more, but you never know.)

Getting a rackmount compressor will almost certainly be a great step up from a MFX compressor, I'd go for that if I had the dough.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it