Page 1 of 2
I'm looking into getting a Marshall clone soon and for the longest time I was decided on Ceriatone because they're cheap(compared to others), reliable from what I've heard, and sound really good. But I'm starting to look at Splawn and I'm getting the feeling they're more for metal players, which I'm not. The most "metal" stuff I'll ever play is Buckethead, RATM, & Van Halen and those guys aren't even metal. I play alot of blues/rock stuff like Stevie Ray Vaughan, John Mayer, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Eric Johnson, RHCP, blah blah blah and I already have a low gain Fender that I use in conjunction with a tubescreamer that makes me oh so happy. But I want a higher gain sound. So tell me about Splawn stuff. What would be good for me? I was thinking the competition?
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

well splawn has some more lower gain stuff. and letting you know ceriatone has like a 200 dollor shiping charge.
Yeah, I know about the shipping charge. They're in Malaysia or something ridiculous.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

If you want a good marshall sound maybe look at a traynor ycv50 blue. It's got enough gain on tap for ratm and definitely sounds like a marshall. It's worth a look. Great cleans too.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
If you want a good marshall sound maybe look at a traynor ycv50 blue. It's got enough gain on tap for ratm and definitely sounds like a marshall. It's worth a look. Great cleans too.

yeah plus there canadian so you know its awsome
But, as we all know, Canada doesn't matter!

just kidding.....it was on Whose Line...

Anywho, I'm really looking for a vintage sound more than a high gain sound. I don't play stuff that has the general gain characteristics of RATM very often, and definitely not live. I'm in bands that play pop, pop-punk top 40 stuff, blues, and classic rock.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

The traynor would work perfect for that. I think it sounds more like a marshall than anything marshall has put out recently.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
The traynor would work perfect for that. I think it sounds more like a marshall than anything marshall has put out recently.

yeah it does dude. there really a good amp. also maybe a laney if your in the UK.
Well the Splawn Super-stock is better voiced for that old-school sound... and it's cheaper i believe.

there are also Metropolus amps. Also try the Mako Plex amps as well.
Ooooooo I really like the Superstock. I'm checking out some sound samples online. It looks like it'll have plenty of gain for my uses. They aren't based in some weird foreign country so shipping will be a bitch are they?

I've looked at Metro's but they're just so freaking expensive. But, you get what you pay for I guess.

What kind of cab would you recommend with the Superstock?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

well on a scale to 1-10 how much gain will you be using? cause if its in the higher mid gain areas i would maybe do a vintage 30 and a G12H30 cross for a cab, like from avatar.
Well 1 being Twin Reverb on 3 and 10 Buckethead's lead channel, I'd probably want to be somewhere around 6.5-7. I guess John Frusciante's live lead channel would be a good estimation of the max gain I'd be using. I'm also going to use lighter gain for SRV stuff. I'll put my Fender Super Reverb and this in stereo and mix the drive signals with a slightly harder push on the Fender than the Marshall. I really like the Marshall clean too. Sorry for answering with one of the most off-putting responses to your question.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by maggot2011
Splawns low gain?
Where's Erock?

do you read? splawn does a little low gain stuff for like eddie van halen. but from what the TS just posted. i dont know if the splawn is good for you.
Really? I thought Froosh used modded Marshalls that had a bit more gain. It definitely sounds like he's got alot more than the average plexi clone.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

I've heard metropolous is good as well. The person you really need to talk to is al1173 or something like that. Guy is a ****ing genius when it comes to marshalls. He'll set you stright on the best clone.
Quote by convictionless
do you read? splawn does a little low gain stuff for like eddie van halen. but from what the TS just posted. i dont know if the splawn is good for you.

I know. Seems like people were saying all their stuff is just low-gain. *sheepish laugh*
Really the only "metal" amp Splawn makes is the Nitro and even then, it's fully capable of getting lower gain tones. Any of their other amps would work beautifully for what you want imo, plus if you order new you get a Lifetime Warranty
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well the Splawn Super-stock is better voiced for that old-school sound... and it's cheaper i believe.

there are also Metropolus amps. Also try the Mako Plex amps as well.

superstock is what im saving up for, actually bc of highways advice, he knows his ****

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

So would a quick rod work for me? I like the idea of having more gain on tap if I ever feel in a "shreddy" mood. Yes, shred is a mood.

Also can you explain what they mean by "gears" to me? Are those different voicings that you can switch between or something else? And how do you switch between them?

EDIT: I like the Competition better than the Quick Rod I think. It's lower wattage, I will never need 100 watts. But it does say it's only one channel. How would the footswitch for switching between OD1 and OD2 work if they aren't on separate channels? Could I still get a good clean sound with this amp? I really do like the Marshall clean. Is there a master volume? That's really imporant to me.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Last edited by VoodooCow229 at Aug 26, 2008,
You have it right. Gear 1 is like Splawn's take on a JTM45. Gear 2 is a hot rodded JCM800. Gear 3 is for over the top Marshall.

There's a knob to switch 'em on the front plate.

There's also switching between OD 1 and OD 2, for each gear. OD 2 essentially a bit fatter - like you just pumped a bit of steroids into your amp.
All I know is one of my friends dad has one and what she has told me about him, he says they are amazing and such. He was also in a David Lee Roth Era Van Halen cover band when he was younger if that is any info to help you.
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
So what about the cleans? I'd have to adjust my amp every time I wanted to switch from the overdrive to the clean wouldn't I? Is there a way to avoid this?
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Just for thread's sake, Buckethead uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier, in case you were wondering.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
Just for thread's sake, Buckethead uses a Mesa Triple Rectifier, in case you were wondering.

I know...
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
So what about the cleans? I'd have to adjust my amp every time I wanted to switch from the overdrive to the clean wouldn't I? Is there a way to avoid this?

There's a footswitch for the Quick Rod and Nitro, you know. You can switch from Clean and Dirty, and then you can switch from OD1 to OD2.
Quote by forsaknazrael
There's a footswitch for the Quick Rod and Nitro, you know. You can switch from Clean and Dirty, and then you can switch from OD1 to OD2.

I don't want the Quick Rod, it'll be too loud. As it is, I'll probably use the half power setting on the Competition. I'll get an attenuator eventually, but a Splawn + cab = expensive alot.
Quote by forsaknazrael

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I don't want the Quick Rod, it'll be too loud. As it is, I'll probably use the half power setting on the Competition. I'll get an attenuator eventually, but a Splawn + cab = expensive alot.

im getting the superstock so when i buy it come november it'll cost me round 2000 for th ehead alone. but since it takes 2-3 months you have time ot save up for a cab so you can get it earlier

personally im getting a vader or an avatar

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by VoodooCow229

The Competition is a one channel amp, if I recall correctly. You'll need to roll down your volume knob to get cleans. Installing a "treble bleed mod" in your guitar, specifically for this purpose, will do wonders.

Here's how the footswitch works on that one:
Quote by Splawn site
# 3 Button Footswitch - Gear control (see below) - #2 OD1/OD2 - #3 Solo Boost
# Gear Control (footswitch) - toggle b/t 1st & 2nd gear (when amp set to 1st gear) or b/t 2nd & 3rd (when amp set to 3rd gear)

Yep.
I've never played a Splawn. But I know that they do great work if you're into the hot rodded Marshall sound. I've always thought they were more for the metal crowd as well, or at least for the 80s classic metal to modern high gain with a Marshall voicing. But with all those mods and settings, a bit of the classic Marshall character is inevitably sacrificed. To me, it sounds a little bit over the top, I've never been a fan of high gain in general though. But for Marshall style high gain amp, I'm sure they blow the JCM2000 line out of the water.

I can speak on Metropoulos though, their stuff sounds great. I'd definitely suggest their amps for the classic Marshall sound. If you're looking for that Hendrix, Clapton, AC/DC to Van Halen sound, I don't think there is a better amp on the market. They're expensive, but I've never heard of anyone disappointed with George Metropoulos's work. Or you could build your own using George's parts, that's what I did and saved a ton (everything in total including all the costs of building, only ran me about $1200 total, which is about half of what buying a fully built amp costs). Also, this gave me the ability to tweak and mod the amp to my own tastes.

This is about the type of gain you'll get out of a Metro or stock plexi (there are two gain settings for the one in the video, the second clip is higher gain)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_ae1P9w4Hw&feature=related

For what I play, that's plenty. If you need more a boost can push it pretty far.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 26, 2008,
I dunno who said that splawns can't do high gain or low gain... but they're both wrong. The quickrod I own has a nice clean tone, it's no Framus Dragon or Cobra clean but it's really clean. The drive channel on 1st gear has an excellent led zeppelin type of gain, 2nd gear is somewhere around Van Halen or ACDC. 3rd gear is insane... great for the Yngwie lead tone or Adam Jones' midrange grind.

My complaints are that it's very very loud, and the clean channel lacks low end.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
They're not Fender cleans, but they DO have a lot of sparkle to 'em. That's what MESAExplorer is referring to, I think. I think they sound great still. I have a warm sounding guitar, so bottom end wasn't a problem for me.

It IS very very loud, even on the 50 watt setting, I can't get it past two. but who cares? It sounds freakin' great!
Quote by forsaknazrael
They're not Fender cleans, but they DO have a lot of sparkle to 'em. That's what MESAExplorer is referring to, I think. I think they sound great still. I have a warm sounding guitar, so bottom end wasn't a problem for me.

The cleans on my Nitro are amazing.

I simply LOVE them. They're SO much better than my Mark IV's cleans ever were imo. So much more sparkly and chimey...
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by forsaknazrael

It IS very very loud, even on the 50 watt setting, I can't get it past two. but who cares? It sounds freakin' great!

Well, I wouldn't say the cleans are that great anyway. Kinda twangy and fuzzy. Not overdriven, just really accented treble. I recommend using another amp to AB as far as cleans go (mesa F-100 head would be delicious combination)

Once you go past about 10:00 it doesn't get any louder, but it feels like it's got a monster distortion pedal when it's about 2:00. It has an ENGL porous midrange grind. Amazing.

Does your nitro have EL-34's or KT-88's?
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
Does your nitro have EL-34's or KT-88's?

EL-34s
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Page 1 of 2