Ill make it easy

TUBE: Yes

Budget: around 600$ USD

Uses: Home, Recording mostly

Styles: I want to get a solid Metal but i play alot of alternative rock.

Wattage: no more than 30 really. I will jam occasionally with friends or at church mostly just home use.

I know i will require a pedal to play the metal on an amp in my budget but i want the amp to people to sound decent with some metal. Im talking BtBaM.

thanks.
blackheart handsome devil
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15H-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-Tube-Head-?sku=483096
on top of this cab with hellatone 30
http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/documents/g112.html
and then a metal muff for your metal tone.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

and then for your alt rock tone turn your pedal off and dime the gain on your amp and you have a alt rock tone.
no, a Krank mini revolution (or something like that) its 700, but it is much better. just save some 100 dollars more or get a job for two weeks. Its just 20 watts anbd with a 12" speaker (eminence legend)

it has the advantage of two channels versus one, and it can go from light crunch to death metal.

also, i think that with a little mod (ask in the forum) it can use a footswitch
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Aug 26, 2008,
Maybe a krank rev jr. The head alone is 600 (so you'd have to stretch your budget for a cab), but it's a 20 watt tube amp that has a good metal tone.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by ldnovelo
no, a Krank mini revolution (or something like that)

it has the advantage of two channels versus one, and it can go from light crunch to death metal.

also, i think that with a little mod (ask in the forum) it can use a footswitch

plus its a rip cause for what your paying it totally sucks.the one i recomended you get a SUPER clean channel and a SUPER heavy gain, and the krank doesnt really have a good clean. have you ever heard that krank channel before? its not that clean. ohh and the speakers suck worse than peavey speakers.

the rig i recomended i have tried before and it sounds beastly. and its also good for recording, well the speaker is pretty much perfect.
Quote by convictionless
plus its a rip cause for what your paying it totally sucks.the one i recomended you get a SUPER clean channel and a SUPER heavy gain, and the krank doesnt really have a good clean. have you ever heard that krank channel before? its not that clean. ohh and the speakers suck worse than peavey speakers.

the rig i recomended i have tried before and it sounds beastly. and its also good for recording, well the speaker is pretty much perfect.

No dude. You can't just take a budget tube amp and throw in pedals and expect it to sound "beastly". The Krank Rev Jr. would be better.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
No dude. You can't just take a budget tube amp and throw in pedals and expect it to sound "beastly". The Krank Rev Jr. would be better.

sonicxlover speaks the truth.

you throwing in pedals wont help out much for a metal tone the krank rev jr would give a better pure sound.
GEAR:
Schecter C-1 Plus (Emg 81/85)
ESP/LTD Viper 400
Bugera 6262 Head
Marshall 1960A Cab
Bad Monkey OD
ISP Decimator
Last edited by Ryohazuki at Aug 26, 2008,
Depends on what metal.

So many people say "ZOMG! I NEED A MTEALZ AMPZ TEH BR00T4LZ~!", but different forms of metal need different sounds.

That said, a Krank Rev Jr. can do modern type metal very well. Also look into a Tiny Terror if you can stretch your budget.
just TS IMO dont get a krank. you wont like them cause they wont be able to play a varity of genres later on. basically the krank only does metal and only metal. and the cleans are crap even though there tube.
Quote by convictionless

there are a lot of kranks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguIq3JZUeU

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5fmSWpTUI
doesnt sound that bad. comparing the headroom on both videos you will get a bit of OD on he clean channel of the krank, but 20 watts is more headroom than 15w.

the blackheart is a good amp, but the krank owns it for what this guy is asking. and if you dont get a 100% clean signal, just turn your guitar volume down.

and to the TS, what kind of metal do you want? glam metal? thrash? groove? nu? you need to specifie that.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by ldnovelo
there are a lot of kranks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fguIq3JZUeU

and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6R5fmSWpTUI
doesnt sound that bad. comparing the headroom on both videos you will get a bit of OD on he clean channel of the krank, but 20 watts is more headroom than 15w.

the blackheart is a good amp, but the krank owns it for what this guy is asking. and if you dont get a 100% clean signal, just turn your guitar volume down.

and to the TS, what kind of metal do you want? glam metal? thrash? groove? nu? you need to specifie that.

yeah the first one had a **** load of chorus and the second one sounded like a SS clean channel. which the krank, just found out, isnt fully tube. the blackheart is.
Quote by convictionless
which the krank, just found out, isnt fully tube

Orly?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613

"This 20W version of their monster Rev Series 1 head is geared more for the professional practice or small gig environment, boasting an all tube dual channel head (2 - 5881's, 3 - 12AX7's)"
dude, wtf is going on with you. you are like the guys in threads where the TS says " I want a guitar with 24 frets and a fixed bridge" and come up with their Ibanez S series "bcuz dei jas 1 ibañes temolol lolololol".

you're acting really childishly, calm down a bit.

and TS, we need more info. once you say what exact style you are after we can really help

BTW, im not saying blackheart sucks, or ibanez sucks, but I really hate f*cking fanboys.

just cuz i have a KE3 i'm not going to a thread of a dude who wants a les paul and say "dont get a les paul, get a Jackson Kelly cuz it's the brootalz and everyone else in this thread is wrong, even who gave you an idea a some other repliers support because he is helping with a good sugestion"
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

Quote by imgooley
Orly?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Krank-Rev-Jr.-20W-HalfStack-Guitar-Amp?sku=481613

"This 20W version of their monster Rev Series 1 head is geared more for the professional practice or small gig environment, boasting an all tube dual channel head (2 - 5881's, 3 - 12AX7's)"

yeah, umm how would the JR get that much gain with that many tubes? obviously with the help of SS.

dude, i know what you mean ^^^. i acutally dont own the rig that i said above. im acutally not a huge blackheart fan but its the best thing for im IMO. but krank is a huge no no and stay away from them.
Quote by convictionless
yeah, umm how would the JR get that much gain with that many tubes? obviously with the help of SS.

dude, i know what you mean ^^^. i acutally dont own the rig that i said above. im acutally not a huge blackheart fan but its the best thing for im IMO. but krank is a huge no no and stay away from them.

All tube signal path is all tube.
WOW

50/50 on the krank

50/50 on the blackheart.

i dont really like that blackheart cause its not all tube. i havent heard it but tube is what im going for.

And its really important for me to people to play like alternative stuff like phish and alice in chains and stuff like that. so if the krank is strictly metal, its probably not for me.
there both all tube.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Have you considered a randall rg50tc? It's 50 watts, but you can get metal around bedroom levels - and it's not an amp you push to full, the speaker isn't great for it. There's also the b-52 at-112, which is twice the wattage you're looking at, but I'd say much more suitable for metal than a blackheart. You can't go by wattage solely either - different amps are rated differently and you volume will vary amp to amp.
Quote by convictionless
blackheart handsome devil
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15H-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-Tube-Head-?sku=483096
on top of this cab with hellatone 30
http://www.steamcomusic.com/avatar/documents/g112.html
and then a metal muff for your metal tone.
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

and then for your alt rock tone turn your pedal off and dime the gain on your amp and you have a alt rock tone.

im gonna say get a nice overdrive pedal instead of the metal muff

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by surftex363
nope the blackheart isnt.

Yes it is. It has a solid state rectifier but that does not make it not tube.
Quote by mcrfobtai
Yes it is. It has a solid state rectifier but that does not make it not tube.

it means its not all tube though. its tube though...

and i absolutly dont want the blackheart. I know that sounds bias, but it looks gay as crap. hahah. thats so judgemental, but...
Quote by surftex363
it means its not all tube though. its tube though...

and i absolutly dont want the blackheart. I know that sounds bias, but it looks gay as crap. hahah. thats so judgemental, but...

The Rectifier is not in the signal path. The 5150 has a SS rectifer, as do most high gain amps and all blackfaced fender amps.
Quote by imgooley
The Rectifier is not in the signal path. The 5150 has a SS rectifer, as do most high gain amps and all blackfaced fender amps.

oh well.

How would a Crate v33 or like palomino with a sick OD pedal sound? I mean i guess another example of sound that i would like to have is older underoath, and like hardcore like have heart. but othre than that mostly alternative rock, and a little grunge.
Quote by Kevin Saale
I still think krank.

As do I.
Quote by surftex363
nope the blackheart isnt.

actually, it is.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
I have not played the Krank. But my H&K 20 watt 20th anniversary edition amp has great (amazing) cleans and gobs of gain. Very modern voiced. $360 off of craigslist, retailed at $700 plus. Another option for you.
Quote by gregs1020
I have not played the Krank. But my H&K 20 watt 20th anniversary edition amp has great (amazing) cleans and gobs of gain. Very modern voiced. $360 off of craigslist, retailed at $700 plus. Another option for you.

oh that sounds great. ill check that out.

edit: can anyone else comment on this amp. i looked it up on ebay and it looks like its in my price range. How are the cleans and how highs the gain get?
Last edited by surftex363 at Aug 28, 2008,
I have to make some clips. The cleans are great, and in case you doubt my ability to determine that, see my other amps. In fact the two channels sound like two different amps. The clean channel is a bit quieter than the gain channel, they share the eq, which both cuts and boosts B/M/T. The treble and the mid are related somehow, not being a mid scooper it hasn't been an issue at all. It probably just helps me from messing up my tone. The gain is awesome. "Ain't talkin bout love" kind of gain. It does VH very well. I can't imagine anyone needing more gain than this amp has. Try looking it on youtube, i never did so not sure what is out there. The reviews on harmony central are accurate IMO. There are two reviews of the amp here on UG, I still need to write one but I was waiting for the "honeymoon" to be over but it doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen. It is just what I was looking for, a good high gain low wattage amp that can do clean very well. I will say the reverb is good, but not as rich and full as my fender. Keep an eye out on craigslist, jenny in NY says she sees them used fairly often. This was the first one I saw and always wanted to try it.
Quote by gregs1020
I have to make some clips. The cleans are great, and in case you doubt my ability to determine that, see my other amps. In fact the two channels sound like two different amps. The clean channel is a bit quieter than the gain channel, they share the eq, which both cuts and boosts B/M/T. The treble and the mid are related somehow, not being a mid scooper it hasn't been an issue at all. It probably just helps me from messing up my tone. The gain is awesome. "Ain't talkin bout love" kind of gain. It does VH very well. I can't imagine anyone needing more gain than this amp has. Try looking it on youtube, i never did so not sure what is out there. The reviews on harmony central are accurate IMO. There are two reviews of the amp here on UG, I still need to write one but I was waiting for the "honeymoon" to be over but it doesn't seem like that's ever gonna happen. It is just what I was looking for, a good high gain low wattage amp that can do clean very well. I will say the reverb is good, but not as rich and full as my fender. Keep an eye out on craigslist, jenny in NY says she sees them used fairly often. This was the first one I saw and always wanted to try it.

there were 2 on ebay just today for 500$.

Can it pull low gain stuff good too? It doesnt sound wimpy when you dont have the gain blasting does it?
Sorry never saw your reply. It does low gain stuff just fine. I consider AC/DC lower gain stuff but it also does Skynyrd well.
Quote by surftex363
im gonna check that amp out. thanks alot man.

Once you check it out, come back here and give your honest take on it. That's all I ask.