Poll: I consider myself...
Poll Options
View poll results: I consider myself...
an atheist
29 58%
a non-atheist
21 42%
Voters: 50.
I felt the "Are you Athiest or Religious?" -thread was beside the point so I wanted to create a new poll. The options we're a bit deceiving so people were not encouraged to take part. So the question is simple: do you consider yourself an atheist or a non-atheist?

I'm personally interested on this particular detail considering belief rather than catagorizising all the possible levels of believing. And I believe this is indeed a relevant subject to discus further.

Please detail your answers, opinions and views and participate in the discussion >: (
I'm a LeVeyan Satanist.
Quote by SmElLy KiD
That is priceless man, you might be my new idol.

TS, whenever I see your username, I misread it as "isuckhardcocks."

Just had to get that out there.

We're ticking away, the moments that make up the dull days
For those who find themselves to be agnostics or otherwise unsure about atheism, here's my view on atheism posted on the earlier thread:

Being an atheist does not (necessarily) mean completely deniying the Possibility of the existence of a godly creature. Completely deniying the possibility would lead into the same situation where several highly religious are - of completely denying all but one theory. This would be scientifically and philosophically absurd since we cannot prove the existence of, and on the other hand, the non-existence of any godly creature.

An atheist is rather a person who accepts to live believing there are no extra-lives waiting for you after this one. Therefore the atheist maybe live life more to the full.

I used to think myself as an agnostic for a long period, but I later realised there weren't going to be any proof popping up on god's existence or non-existence - so I might as well concentrate on living this life as well as I can.

To me "choosing" atheism over religion seemed extremely logical: if one chosees to pick a religion how does he end up with the right one from all the possibilities? It seems religion of a person is often linked to person's enviroment: family, friends etc. A kid raised by budhist parents is likely to become a budhist. People who lived in the Ancient Greece didn't choose to become members of the babtist church or some other modern religion, they we're raised to the religion of their context.

So - religion is based on where and when you happened to born. But still every religion claims to be the true and only one that can save a person. How am I supposed to choose one when all seem equal? I personally chose none.

Believers often seem to be certain of their religion being the supreme one, but they often have no explanation for why others suck compared to their own, in fact they rarely truly know anything about other beliefs.
Oh boy! What could be more fun or productive than discussing religion on the internet?
Quote by *powerslave*
isnt this the same as "Are you Athiest or Religious?"

Several people found the poll options misleading and therefore gave no answer at all. And IMO these options could work better giving true results.

Quote by Igniter
Oh boy! What could be more fun or productive than discussing religion on the internet?

Well I thing that the anonymity gives a great opporturnity to discuss matters that wouldn't be otherwise discussed in real life. But I guess the pit is the last place to seriously discus religion lol.
Last edited by taatelikoira at Aug 26, 2008,
atheist
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
Quote by Igniter

Especially when there is a religion thread already made!

*reported*
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
Quote by alliwant
Should it not be are you theist or atheist? Instead of "not atheist"?

The previous thread was titled atheist or religious. Which was close to being theist or atheist. But I think this alternative has the advantage of having something for the agnostics to choose etc.
Strangely enough I used to be an atheist but I would now describe myself as religious in a strange sort of way. I have my reasons for the change but I feel that the pit is hardly the place to discuss them.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
atheist, if there was a god, i live my life good and moral. he wont send me to hell cause i didnt wana blindly follow what some religous group wants to say to control their congregation of people. im a good person and i dont need to say i believe in something to feel like i am doing the right thing. but thas all a moot point, since when i died im going to become fertilizer for the grass growing ontop of me, if i cant get myself frozen.

my thoughts were always be a good person for yourself and those you encounter, not so cloud man (god) can look down upon you, judge you, then decide your fate for eternity. who wants to live in fear? not me. who wants to live happy? me
Quote by chris024
atheist, if there was a god, i live my life good and moral. he wont send me to hell cause i didnt wana blindly follow what some religous group wants to say to control their congregation of people. im a good person and i dont need to say i believe in something to feel like i am doing the right thing. but thas all a moot point, since when i died im going to become fertilizer for the grass growing ontop of me, if i cant get myself frozen.

my thoughts were always be a good person for yourself and those you encounter, not so cloud man (god) can look down upon you, judge you, then decide your fate for eternity. who wants to live in fear? not me. who wants to live happy? me

You seem to think that religious belief inherently means that you live in fear for the rest of your life. This is a blind belief held by too many people these days. It is certainly true in some cases, that I won't deny, but the vast majority of religious believers, like myself, live happy lives without fear of the almighty.
You also confuse religious belief with religious organizations. This is a great mistake. Religious belief is something personal that cannot be controlled whereas religious organizations, for the most part, exist only to control as you rightly pointed out. There are few religious institutions that don't fit this description but even so there are exceptions to the rule.
Your claims that you are a moral person are perfectly valid. It is perfectly possible for morality to exist without god or religion and I see no reasons why Atheists cannot be moral. When I was still an Atheist I would have considered myself a moral person and I still consider myself as such now that I am a religious believer.

I will end with a comment on my views of Atheism. I have no problem with it. If a person had reasoned with themselves and comes to the conclusion that they do not believe in a higher being or beings then I truly have no quarrels with them. But if they blindly follow a path without truly understanding it, like many so called Atheists do then they should seriously reconsider, even if they do end up coming to the same conclusion. I find that many young people (and I hate to say it, but most of them that I have encountered have been 'metalheads') follow Atheism as blindly as many people follow religion. Whenever the word 'God' comes up in conversation they beat it down with endless cries of 'bullshit' without truly understanding the concept they so vehemently attack. This of course also applies to those that blindly follow religious belief systems and these are just as bad as those who blindly follow atheism.
"We must become members of a new race, overcoming petty prejudice, owing our ultimate allegiance not to nations, but to our fellow men within the human community."
- H.I.M Haile Selassie I
Quote by taatelikoira
Several people found the poll options misleading and therefore gave no answer at all. And IMO these options could work better giving true results.

Well I thing that the anonymity gives a great opporturnity to discuss matters that wouldn't be otherwise discussed in real life. But I guess the pit is the last place to seriously discus religion lol.

You missed the bigger point:

Those who were giving their opinions in the other thread were there for the discussion not the poll and this thread will lead to the same discussions, so this is just the same thread with a different poll...
------------------------------------------------------- ~ UG's Nirvana Fangirl ~ -------------------------------------------------------

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro"
Quote by taatelikoira
An atheist is rather a person who accepts to live believing there are no extra-lives waiting for you after this one. Therefore the atheist maybe live life more to the full.

Not really.

A·the·ism –noun
1. the doctrine or belief that there is no God.
2. disbelief in the existence of a supreme being or beings.
Wellyjin fred
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...