So far I have yet to find my personal style for bass i like to play. I figured it would be metal since that is what i started playing when I picked up a guitar about 5 years ago. Figured it was time to broaden my horizons and play bass.

So after visiting the music store for about 3 weeks searching for a new bass this caught my eye.

here is a picture of it.

http://www.cheapguitardeals.co.uk/images/Stagg-XB300-BK.jpg

Should I get it? Only $250
Yeah, since I don't really know anything about bass I was iffy. It seemed to have a nice tone but I might have to do more research on it.
i suggest playing a lot of basses, and picking one that feels and sounds right, i've sat in my local guitar shop for hours just playing different basses to see what i want.

do you have a bass amp? most of the time you can have a budget bass running through a good amp and it'll sound awesome
Bam
if your really seriouse to go musicians friend or music 123 theyr really not nearly as good of service and stuff as ppl say ( bad experience) but i personally would go to cheapguitars.com or whatever cause the stuffs price is cheap and im gussing the quality is too so go to one of the websites i said and if you like metal style basses look up B.C. rich and ESP LTD type stuff and i tink warwick too their not always the best brands but thier decent, adn whats your budget? oh btw metal bass isnt a very good genre for bass the bass is like edited out of songs like really really quite and really plain and simple, at first its fun to play but really playing stuff a monkey could play isnt a personal style i suggest you should like look up different typs of music even if your not that into it or never listened to it before like me i play alot of punk post hardcore and metal but i like to progress and become a better player and i have good ears for tabbing so i make my own tab to fit the song and use some of the origonal but add apreggios and bass lines, which you learn on the internet from teachers and books, and even if you doubt youll play it study jazz bass and slap bass theyr the best forms of bass playing as far as skill and creativity, and us what you learned to make your ownpersoanl style for you genre of music
ignore the above double post, it is the ravings of a juvenile mind.

I personally hate the horned basses. if you like it, that's good for you.

I like keeping my toes when I drop my instruments, thank you very much. you should however, go to the store and try out every bass in there. ones you won't buy(just remember not to) ones you think look ugly, and so on.

try and buy from the store also. it's safer. you deliver yourself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
I must say, a Squier could probably beat that thing to the ground, but that's my opinion. But, like previously stated, spend hours in your local, family owned music store just annoying the hell out of people. Stay until they close trying every bass they have available.
+1 for the ESP LTD and BC Rich

Other brands you should look at: Schecter, Ibanez (both incredible bang for your buck, at least at the intermediate price range), Spector (my current main bass is NS4J2, which is awesome but kinda high end. I've tried their budget basses, though, and they're pretty good).

Also, +1 on metal bass being boring. Two bassists you should check out though are Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and Cliff Burton of Metallica (only the first 3 albums).
Quote by kerjacklebass&!
metal isnt a very good genre for bass the bass is like edited out of songs like really really quite and really plain and simple, at first its fun to play but really playing stuff a monkey could play isnt a personal style i suggest you should like look up different typs of music even if your not that into it or never listened to it before like me i play alot of punk.

Can someone point out the irony?
"Whats that noise??"

"... Jazz"
Quote by kerjacklebass&!
metal style basses look up B.C. rich and ESP LTD type stuff and i tink warwick too their not always the best brands

What?!

I'd uh, ignore that guy, listen to the people who're saying go to independant music shops and play the **** out of all the basses they have there until you find the one for you.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
HAHAHA finding metal boring yet he plays punk LMFAO.

i wouldnt get that bass, it is a stagg, and staggs are ****! the wood is crap it wont give you any tone, and the pickups are high output but it wont pickup anything but noise.
look up esp ltd basses, low end bc richs are crap as well.
Metal brandes to look at, ESP LTD, Ibanez, Warwick Rockbass.
Id strongly recomend ESP LTD tho.

EDIT: Metal can be difficult to play at times, it being really fast, but punk is no where as fast as metal and all they ever play is root notes. Jazz and funk are the most interesting to play tho.
Last edited by jb_reborn at Aug 27, 2008,
Personally I wouldn't, Stagg don't make very good quality basses, as far as cheap basses go you can do much better.

Edit:

Quote by jb_reborn
EDIT: Metal can be difficult to play at times, it being really fast, but punk is no where as fast as metal and all they ever play is root notes.

I really hope this is just you generalising and not your actual opinion, if it is the latter then please go away and only return when you've opened your mind a little.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Last edited by indie-bassist at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by kerjacklebass&!
oh btw metal bass isnt a very good genre for bass the bass is like edited out of songs like really really quite and really plain and simple, at first its fun to play but really playing stuff a monkey could play isnt a personal style i suggest you should like look up different typs of music even if your not that into it or never listened to it before like me i play alot of punk post hardcore and metal but i like to progress and become a better player and i have good ears for tabbing so i make my own tab to fit the song and use some of the origonal but add apreggios and bass lines, which you learn on the internet from teachers and books, and even if you doubt youll play it study jazz bass and slap bass theyr the best forms of bass playing as far as skill and creativity, and us what you learned to make your ownpersoanl style for you genre of music

ZaccB, did I spot the irony?