I recently have been considering getting a Big Muff Fuzz pedal, due to the fact that I really dig that old late 60s garage rock roar, and these things are notoriously fuzzed out pedals. I love a decent amount of low end and lots of crunch (basically volume/gain) so I was wondering, Which one of these would be right for me?
the Big Muff does the kind of doom metal totally fuzzed out thing perfectly
not really exactly like Tony Iommi but it will do Black Sabbath in a duly righteousness manner

my advice is get one just for the hell of it

but the Fuzz Face I made myself does do the ripped-up-angry-speaker much better....
Black Sabbath riffs sound awesome through both pedals....but that may be due to the fact that its Black Sabbath

edit: I just found a clip of myself playing Symptom of the Universe through the big muff

bliss
Last edited by seljer at Aug 26, 2008,
Big Muff works for Sabbath. Very well, in fact.

Works for Electric Wizard too.

Metal Muff works too.

Doom/Stoner metal ftw.
check out my fuzz pedal perfect for that probably
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I don't know, I always felt the BMP was sort of lacking in low end - you might try something like the BBE free fuzz. I don't know if it would have enough 'roar' for what your talking, but it certainly felt more vintage and was much more focused on the lower register.
Try the russian big muff or little big muff if you need a sludgey bassy sound
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Johnonon
Try the russian big muff or little big muff if you need a sludgey bassy sound

You saying the Russian muff has more bass to it?
Well... I've been listening to ALOT of clips

From clones, to other types of fuzz pedals, I'm starting to think buying The Russian Big muff... and doing a few mods to it would be best for me

It just sounds more, well, dark and gurrrish... more mean and sinister, less treble, less 60s fuzz, and more like, I'm on a Bad trip. Thats what i'm talkin bout!
Last edited by Highwaytohell at Aug 30, 2008,
try looking into some of the older russian big muffs, i think they are what your going for
Call me Dom
Quote by Dmaj7
I don't know how to count canadians, the metric system is hard

Quote by gregs1020
well if lbj pokes his head in here and there's no nuts shit's gonna go doooooooowwwwwwwwwn.

{Pedalboard Thread Native: The Muffin Man}
or try the new BASS Big muff, apparently its bitchin with guitar
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
Quote by Highwaytohell
Well... I've been listening to ALOT of clips

From clones, to other types of fuzz pedals, I'm starting to think buying The Russian Big muff... and doing a few mods to it would be best for me

It just sounds more, well, dark and gurrrish... more mean and sinister, less treble, less 60s fuzz, and more like, I'm on a Bad trip. Thats what i'm talkin bout!

Thought about building you own?
10% off at generalguitargadgets.com for like 2 more days (secret coupon code is augsale). I bought one of their Big Muff PCBs, and am going to build a Late 70's version. They have kits for it, too.