Page 1 of 2
Think about it.

In browsing the 'You Laugh, You Lose' thread, as well as other 'funny' things on the intarweb, it seems that few things demonstrate a more traditional form of humour. Most 'funny' pictures and such are just so incomprehensible that you laugh because you don't know how to react to something so absurd.
Our parents wouldn't understand the kinds of things we laugh at on UG.

Seeing it from the side, I never thought I'd laugh at pictures of cats with badly spelt captions...
It's Family Guy's fault.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
I don't know. It's annoying though because sometimes you just see a random pic that's supposed to make you laugh but you feel like it's trying too much.

edit: thanks for proving my point, giantraven
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
random > funny
because it suprises you more than predictable funny stuff
wen i ask they say that they fall into the habit smhw ........but nyways i think there is a connection smwhere. Now i being a teetollar will not give into this habit nyhw

FOR JUST £2 A WEEK, YOU CAN PREVENT THIS.
The basic structure of a joke is that you are given a description of a seemingly normal event (however surreal it may seem - the listener tends to rationalise it anyway), which is then revealed to be completely insane. This surprises the listener into laughter.
THEY.RE SUPPOSED TO BE FUNNY?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!

*head explodes*
--gear--

Yamaha C5 L Grand Piano

Fender Custom Telecaster HH Flamed Maple Top

Marshall MG100HDFX

Dunlop Cry Baby

Digitech Distortion Factory

Pianists F.T.W.
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
Quote by Just Andrew
It's Family Guy's fault.

+12 When I read the thread title I was thinking the same.

But I also love Family Guy.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I hate when people say something completely unfunny and irrelevant to the discussion and then explain that "they're just random", and expect me to laugh and start talking about equally unfunny subjects, such as; sporks, dinosaurs (even though they are awesome), fruit, and chickens.
Quote by Maus24

If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
I sat at my computer for I think 4 minutes trying to think of something random yet witty to say...

/fail
Quote by DaFizzle
Periods are only a myth made up by woman to have more things to cry about, its the same with birth pains. Because i imagine its like having a shite and i quite enjoy turding.

Quote by SoftParade1967
subway?
Quote by Exo M7
he needs a ride not a sandwich ****ing retard

R.I.P. BILLY MAYS
1958-2009
Goodnight Sweet Prince

Quote by longhorntex6
do you know where i can find the tabs?

WAT

Quote by gd123
I'm 14 not a troll....

Quote by Maus24

i don't like family guy or anything. But THAT is funny
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by Maus24

Thats was the fastest ive ever saved a picture onto my hard drive after looking at it. I might say youve won the internets for posting that.
A is A

Quote by CrackAddict2000
I find it quite astonishing how you managed to post this if the site is just a man with a beard.

Seriously,
Quote by Just Andrew
It's Family Guy's fault.

You just failed hardcore.

Monty Python would be one of the major sources of surreal humor. Know yo' ****!
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I blame Noel Fielding.

God he's awful.
Oh George... Oh George.

That Texas education must've fucked you up when you very small.

Too true, Roger. Too True.
Monty Python was hillarious though, yet you are correct, they are probably one of the origanators of randomness as humor......Family Guy does achieve laughter sometimes though, most of the time it just fails
It's like a Dane Cook routine. His jokes are the epitome of mediocrity, but people seem to enjoy his random noises. The jokes don't even have punchlines, so I'm still yet to find out why he's popular.
I was going to say "It didn't, you just hang out with morons" but then I read your post. To be honest, I think we've exhausted all traditional humour. It's like love songs. They're a huge cliche now. So you have to express things in a slightly more original manner, or just start writing punk songs about how the government stole your fridge and the real terrorists are the people who smoke cigars and go hunting, because they hate the environment as much as you hate fur coats.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I blame 12-year-olds who suck at humour and have no idea how to be funny in any other manner.
"I'm so random!" is commonplace in people's 'About Me' on MySpace. It makes me want to punch them in the throat.
Quote by americnidiot
It's like a Dane Cook routine. His jokes are the epitome of mediocrity, but people seem to enjoy his random noises. The jokes don't even have punchlines, so I'm still yet to find out why he's popular.

Oh God, I'm not alone! Thank you!
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by snipelfritz

Seriously,

You just failed hardcore.

Monty Python would be one of the major sources of surreal humor. Know yo' ****!
And Monty Python is popular with today's scene like Family Guy, right?

Monty Python is one of the pioneers of that sort of comedy and I favorably enjoy it, but go to your local High School on a Monday after a new Family Guy and everyone will be talking about.

It doesn't matter when it was invented, but when popularized, and because people are getting influenced off that kind of humor, we're slowly starting to accept random as funny.

Know your shit.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by Just Andrew
It's Family Guy's fault.

family guy uses non-sequiter to introduce jokes. most stuff isnt completely random.

really, i dont know when random replaced funny. i guess its one of those things where you dont notice til its too late. i personally blame the Disney Channel and Nickelodeon.

why, you ask?

i ask "why not?"
Quote by Maus24

Success.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Quote by dudius
family guy uses non-sequiter to introduce jokes. most stuff isnt completely random.

Saying "This is worse/sucks more/better than when I ______" doesn't set up the joke when the joke has nothing to do with the situation the characters are in.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Random didn't replace funny. Random became a form a humour. When someone tries it now I usually say I want to punch them in the face.
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
Quote by Just Andrew
Saying "This is worse/sucks more/better than when I ______" doesn't set up the joke when the joke has nothing to do with the situation the characters are in.

i said introduce, not set up. most of family guy's jokes have nothing to do with the main action, but thats what nonsequiter is. and at least all of the jokes make reference to something in pop-culture (and stuff that isnt so pop). its better than stumbling upon the knights who say "ni" and being asked to find a shrubbery. as much as i love the Holy Grail, there is much more "randomness" to the humor than Family Guy. you see The Meaning of Life where the white collar office workers all turn into pirates and set the skyscraper sailing across dry land? and then did you see where the pirates pop up in the middle of the movie? better yet, did you see the END of Holy Grail?
Quote by dudius
i said introduce, not set up. most of family guy's jokes have nothing to do with the main action, but thats what nonsequiter is. and at least all of the jokes make reference to something in pop-culture (and stuff that isnt so pop). its better than stumbling upon the knights who say "ni" and being asked to find a shrubbery. as much as i love the Holy Grail, there is much more "randomness" to the humor than Family Guy. you see The Meaning of Life where the white collar office workers all turn into pirates and set the skyscraper sailing across dry land? and then did you see where the pirates pop up in the middle of the movie? better yet, did you see the END of Holy Grail?
Non the less, it shouldn't be funny as it just doesn't make any sense.

But as you said, they make references to pop icons of yesteryear and I think people only find them funny because they are so obscure.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Quote by Just Andrew
Non the less, it shouldn't be funny as it just doesn't make any sense.

But as you said, they make references to pop icons of yesteryear and I think people only find them funny because they are so obscure.

I think people find it funny because they find a new way to talk about pop culture, and because it's just so unexpected.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
I bet a lot of UGers would or do love Daniel Tosh he is one of the most random comedians ever, the end of the joke usually has nothing to do with where he started it.
Page 1 of 2