I need help with my guitars action. It is an Epiphone les paul and the action is strange. Near the first frets the strings are very low but towards the higher frets the strings are to high. My friend and I think that lowering the Tune-O-Matic will fix it but is this the true solution?

Help?!
Member of: The anti-zombie alliance
Quote by RoadKill1991
I need help with my guitars action. It is an Epiphone les paul and the action is strange. Near the first frets the strings are very low but towards the higher frets the strings are to high. My friend and I think that lowering the Tune-O-Matic will fix it but is this the true solution?

Help?!

think about it logically, would lowering the bridge lower the action more at one end than the other?

in case you can't be bothered thinking, yes it's the right answer.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
to lemon

i wasn't sure if lowering the bridge would cause the string height near the nut to change because the height near the nut really cant go any lower w/o starting to buzz
Quote by RoadKill1991
to lemon

i wasn't sure if lowering the bridge would cause the string height near the nut to change because the height near the nut really cant go any lower w/o starting to buzz

how could it get lower if there is something beneath it i.e. the nut.

could the strings get lower at the bridge without moving it?

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
ok lemon im not a guitar tech so i was a little weary. Sorry for being cautious. Anyway the problem is solved.
I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just saying, think about things logically and most of the time you'll be able to answer your own questions.

I'm no tech either, but usually the simplest solution is the best. as long as you think about what your adjustments could possibly do before you do them, you should be ok tinkering with your guitar without being a tech.

The only thing I wouldn't advise messing with is the the truss rod and the electronics (if you don't have experience with a soldering iron and a basic understanding of electronics). everything else is easily fixable.

Quote by element4433
you can lower the bridge a little, if you can't get the action low enough without buzz then i suggest you measure the neck relief.

fret the first fret, low E, at the same time,
fret the last fret, low E, where the neck and body meet.

with both places held, look at the middle frets, 7-9th.

if the string lays on the fret wire there, then you dont have enough bend.
if the string is more than a credit cards thickness up from the wire there, then you might have too much.

so check action at the brdige, then if needed measure then repost.

to lower action at the bridge, you loosen the strings a bit, loosen the screws at the top of the Bridge posts. lower the thumb screws, pointed to by red arrows, then tighten it all up again. and retune.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Aug 26, 2008,