Just need an answer to this question, is the mesa f-50 combo as good as every review says it is?
I only ask because it is unlikely I will be able to try one before buying it, and so far, it seems to have the best overall performance for its price.
However, if you know any amp better for a similar price I'd be happy to know

P.S. I'm not really bothered about superb clean or jazzy tones, maybe one day I might, but at the moment I just want high gain, punchy harmonics and thick leads.

thanks!
Quote by DieGarbageMan

how could you not forsee the rise of surskits!

Quote by CaptainRon
One second let me just ask my penis.

Reel Big Fish: 20/02.09
Rise Against: 22/02/09
Well, I have the F-30 so I think I can provide at least some insight to this amp. As far as cleans, my F-30 was heavenly with my Stratocaster and very much passable with my Schecter Hellraiser (pretty good for emgs at least.) As far as high gain, crunchy, goodness, my F-30 was okay with my Strat, which has a SD Hotrails in it so it's not hopeless for metal, and my Schecter did pretty well. I was somewhat disappointed because I couldn't get a really hard br00talz metal sound, but it did okay. I've heard that the lack of punch is made up for in the F-50 though so it shouldn't be too bad for you. As for pedals I augmented the amp with, I have a MXR 10 Band and a Maxon OD 808. If you do end up buying this amp, the tone controls will most likely be touchy so give it some time to grow on you.
GMO INC.
im looking to buy the epiphone prophecy emg85/81 loaded so it's good to know it works well with actives - ive heard similar things about the F-50 (better "br00talz" sounds)
thanks for the help.
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

I use a gibson explorer with a f 50 combo w' jj tubes in the power amp. I usually have the gain around 4-4.5 without the contour on and with a zakk wyle od to tighten it up to play buckethead, iron maiden, etc. It has plenty of gain for me. With the contour on anything past 5 is way too much. The clean channel is superb. It can go pretty loud before breaking up and just plain out sounds great. With the amp cranked to about 5 or 6 it starts to break up to a great bluesy grit. I reccomend getting the f 50. The only problem i have is the damn tube rattle. Any lower notes I play on the clean channel with the volume 3 or higher gets noticable tube rattle. The JJ's helped but didnt cure it.
I had an F-100. It had a really think roar. I had it EQed wit the treble to the max, mids a hair over half, and the bass just over a quarter. otherwise it got pretty muddy and saggy. Great cleans though. A jazz guy bought it off of ebay when it was listed.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
you wont be disappointed. as yet another F-50 owner, this thing is the swiss army knife of Mesas. best part is, it doesnt really have a weak spot...(not calling it perfect, but those of you who have played the F series you know what i mean.)

also do we have a F series group here on UG? i know there is one on harmony central...but if not, whose up for starting one? sorry for the hijack btw.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
you wont be disappointed. as yet another F-50 owner, this thing is the swiss army knife of Mesas. best part is, it doesnt really have a weak spot...(not calling it perfect, but those of you who have played the F series you know what i mean.)

also do we have a F series group here on UG? i know there is one on harmony central...but if not, whose up for starting one? sorry for the hijack btw.

I wouldn't say swiss army knife... but it's ultra simple yet quite versatile.

As for swiss army knife, it's between the Roadking or Triaxis.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I wouldn't say swiss army knife... but it's ultra simple yet quite versatile.

As for swiss army knife, it's between the Roadking or Triaxis.

OK, point. i havent played the roadking or triaxis. and going by your username and past threads ive seen, you know your mesas.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by LaidBack
OK, point. i havent played the roadking or triaxis. and going by your username and past threads ive seen, you know your mesas.

Well, Ive played through just about everything they offer, and owned a Roadking, F-100, and Mark IV.

That being said, I would love to own another F-100.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Thanks guys, this kind of backs up all those reviews.
Did anyone else have trouble with tube rattle?
Quote by DieGarbageMan

Quote by CaptainRon

Never played one but I do hear they are good amps. Always try before you buy though.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^