--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok im pretty decent at bass adn by that i mean i can easily play guns n roses bass parts, but im learning to fingerpick and im ok but you knwo hwo your sopposed to alternate between your 2 fingers? well without even trying its just teh way i would naturaly do it i want to use my middle finger to pluck the higher frets and my index to pluck the lower and last frets and notes id play in a bass line, like if it was the E string and the frets were 8 7 6 5 id play middle finger,index finger, middle finger, index finger, and if it was 5 6 7 8 in that order i would play it index, middle, index , middle, and if it was like, 7 6 4 i always pluck middle, middle, index so i always want to end the highest note with my middle and the lowest wiht my index finger, is that a problum should i work really hard on just alternating and finger cordination or should i just roll with it and play that wiht since its what i want to naturaly do?
There's no secret just lots and lots of practice, if you ever feel like switching to your old bad habbits force yourself to alternate fingers. It might be hard at the beginning but by the time you master it all your hard work will pay off.

I would suggest playing lots and lots of scales up and down the neck, sure its a generic answer but it does work on getting speed and accuracy.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
Last edited by AmpleSteak at Aug 26, 2008,
Steak pretty much has it, could you please fix your typing, this is the bass forum after all ;D
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by AmpleSteak
Theres not secret just lots and lots of practice, if you ever feel like switching to your old bad habbits force yourself to alternate fingers. It might be hard at the beginning but by the time you master it all your hard work will pay off.

I would suggest playing lots and lots of scales up and down the neck, sure its a generic answer but it does work on getting speed and accuracy.

ok so this is just a bad habbit and i should learn to play by alternating every time and stop what im doing right now the the screwed up fingers thing? lol
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Where is the bad habit? Just because you're inclined to play descending lines with the middle first instead of the index means NOTHING.

ok cool so theres no reason i should just stop doing it?
^his bad habit is in not being consistent with the finger he starts off with and not always alternating them.

I understand what you mean, it's kinda just how your fingers think things should happen. Really, it's just a mental thing that can be easily overcome. Practice starting off with whatever finger you like best and keep alternating. Sure, you can skimp here and there, but practice alternating as much as you can. If you go 10 measures of nothing after using your middle finger, then you hit the next note with your middle finger, that's fine, but be sure to always alternate when playing normal runs, scales and lines.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
^his bad habit is in not being consistent with the finger he starts off with and not always alternating them.

I understand what you mean, it's kinda just how your fingers think things should happen. Really, it's just a mental thing that can be easily overcome. Practice starting off with whatever finger you like best and keep alternating. Sure, you can skimp here and there, but practice alternating as much as you can. If you go 10 measures of nothing after using your middle finger, then you hit the next note with your middle finger, that's fine, but be sure to always alternate when playing normal runs, scales and lines.

ok thanks alot so basicly i should overcome it and its ok if i mess up by hitting it twice every once in a while
Quote by t3hrav3n

right?
Quote by kerjacklebass&!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok im pretty decent at bass adn by that i mean i can easily play guns n roses bass parts, but im learning to fingerpick and im ok but you knwo hwo your sopposed to alternate between your 2 fingers? well without even trying its just teh way i would naturaly do it i want to use my middle finger to pluck the higher frets and my index to pluck the lower and last frets and notes id play in a bass line, like if it was the E string and the frets were 8 7 6 5 id play middle finger,index finger, middle finger, index finger, and if it was 5 6 7 8 in that order i would play it index, middle, index , middle, and if it was like, 7 6 4 i always pluck middle, middle, index so i always want to end the highest note with my middle and the lowest wiht my index finger, is that a problum should i work really hard on just alternating and finger cordination or should i just roll with it and play that wiht since its what i want to naturaly do?

To play bass one needs fairly good finger coordination......

You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by t3hrav3n

never mind i know what you mean now i need to practice and when actually playing i need to altnernate but if i start playing somthing else or get a break in or finish the measures or whatever i can start with what finger i want....thank you very much its nice that you helped me becuase im not seeing a teacher
^ You've got it. Even though you're not, you should get lessons, they would help you infinitely better than what we could do here.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
Quote by t3hrav3n
^ You've got it. Even though you're not, you should get lessons, they would help you infinitely better than what we could do here.

yeah but lessons arent a big option right now my parents dont want to pay for my lessons for me and need he money for new gear because i still have my super crappy starter pack, but if a good teacher was available i would spend the money needed but i dont have anybody who could teach me withen a like hour drive, but once i find a good person who can teach me im getting lessons, and again thanks for helping me out considering i really have nowhere else to go =]... thanks man
And just a tip kerjackle? Paragraphs will help you. I'm serious.

Or at least punctuation please. I hate seeing big blocks of matrix letters. Good luck! Keep practicing man. You'll get the fingers with structure and practice.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by biga29

To play bass one needs fairly good finger coordination......

This also helps when one is using a keyboard....
I still don't see where there is a bad habit worth breaking here. I don't understand how having a tendency to play upward runs starting with the index finger first and downward runs with the middle finger constitutes a bad habit. Does it slow down his playing or even break from standard technique? Unless I'm really misunderstanding his quandary, no.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I still don't see where there is a bad habit worth breaking here. I don't understand how having a tendency to play upward runs starting with the index finger first and downward runs with the middle finger constitutes a bad habit. Does it slow down his playing or even break from standard technique? Unless I'm really misunderstanding his quandary, no.

(I don't understand it either
what I think he worded poorly,
is that he sometimes uses 1 finger twice or something?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by goest
This also helps when one is using a keyboard....

T'was my point.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...