What grades are you doing?

Im following the RGT syallabus.

They're good as it helps you get into music uwe's
Well I live in australia and I've done 2nd grade theory of music and 4th grade cello but what grades can you do for guitar?
I've heard of rockschool but apparentley they dont count for much
If I was to do grades, I'd do purely theory grades. Partially since I've got no money to blow on exam fees, a teacher, etc, and partially because I did some piano grades a while back (1999-2001, got to grade 2) and they didn't teach me **** about theory. It was just a case of "here's C major (or whatever scale), learn it."; I couldn't actually derive any theory apart from by simply learning it by repetition.
Grade 4 on violin and I'm probably somewhere around grade 5 or 6 on classical guitar. I don't do the grades on classical guitar though, I'm going to get my title from el conservatorio profesional and hopefully move onto superior conservatory.

In about 5 years time. =(
Quote by RichieJovie
Which one ? There are 3 levels of RGT diploma now.

Goddamn it, at the time I started studying for mine (coupla years ago) there was only the Licenciate, so that's still what I'm doing, I suppose - that's the superscary top level megadiploma.

Not that I'm at that level, but that's what I was studying for. I might go in for the Dip now they offer it, be a nice stop-gap to get some qualifications before going all the way.
Quote by Freepower
Goddamn it, at the time I started studying for mine (coupla years ago) there was only the Licenciate, so that's still what I'm doing, I suppose - that's the superscary top level megadiploma.

Not that I'm at that level, but that's what I was studying for. I might go in for the Dip now they offer it, be a nice stop-gap to get some qualifications before going all the way.

Superscary?

If you say so.
Are these "grades" only in the UK? I never hear any americans speak of them. I was in school band (not for guitar) and this was never brought up. Just curious...
Quote by RichieJovie
Superscary?

If you say so.

Well, the handbook I have includes sections about scales, arps, chords... etc, all very easy.

It also includes the possiblity of being handed a 5/4 chord sheet with frequent key changes and being asked to play "a professional quality solo" after one hearing, which is fairly difficult imho.

There's lots of easy stuff, but there's lots of truly challenging stuff in there too, unless the syllabus has been downgraded a lot in the last... ?
I've done grade four on flute with Associated Boards, and I think i've to do a theory grade five soon.
I havn't done any for guitar, so i don't know where i'm at there

^^I didn't know you could do grades for singing, though now i think about it - it makes sense.
We're just dancing
We're just hugging,singing, screaming, kissing, tugging
On the sleeve of how it used to be
Quote by RockinRoses
^^I didn't know you could do grades for singing, though now i think about it - it makes sense.

The voice being a musical instrument an' all ...
Quote by worton
i got my grade 3 clasical and going for grade 4 electric, but im i have always done RGT exams, so is rockschool easier?

From what I understand the rock school ones are basically a joke.
grades are worth it totally, i got grade eight in guitar bass piano and drums and that alone is 280 UCAS points which is 40 more than i need to get into the university of my choice and thats not even with my a-level points on top, its crazy
You base this ridiculous statement on what?

Yeah, let's see you perfectly play a grade 6 piece.
Call me Batman.
guitar grade 6 distinction with rockschool and theory grade 5 distinction with RGT.

People say rockschool is piss easy, but i played midnight by joe satriani which is pretty hard, and the aural exercises are fricking hard as nails.

However, i jumped in at grade 6 and had never done a grade before in my life, so i might have been because i had never done anything like that before.
"suicide hotline, please hold......."
Quote by RichieJovie
You base this ridiculous statement on what?

+1.

Rockschool pieces at grade 6+ require a genuinely high standard of playing. There's some small sweeping and tapping, and certainly difficult material. Very easy to talk trash until you're trying to play perfectly a piece including a change of time sig every 2 bars at a tempo of 280bpm (Steve Gets Heavy, for example).

Plus, quick study piece, sight reading, improv... it's not easy, and it's certainly not a joke. I did all the grades from 1 upwards, except 7 which didn't exist at the time, and they're all pretty much bang on as goes difficulty, excepting grades 8 and 1, which I feel were too easy and too hard respectively.
hi ive grade 8 electric guitar (rgt) grade 8 bass (rockschool ) grade 5 theory (abrsm)
the LLCM (TD) that freepower mentioned and im studying for my grade 8 classical (trinity ) im more than happy to offer any advice from experiences ,
any questions ?
Not really, but I'd like you to stick around and help out people. The first lesson in my sig is a FAQ for technique and I'm sure you could add a lot of stuff in for fingerpicking, chordal playing, independant basslines, and so on. Would that count as a question? I also understand you may not have the time.
*cautiously enters thread*

What are you guys talking about - grades for music? I've never heard of a grading system. Is it based on the difficulty of the piece? Can I get an example of a "graded" piece?

Is there a music school I could be going to right now to do this kind of work, as opposed to my mundanely average public highschool?!?
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
I've done grade 5 cornet (ABRSM) but nothing on guitar since I'm self-tought...
Quote by MoogleRancha

You sir, are a genius.

I salute you.

Quote by iwontwait
The bestowing of this thread on my life is yours. Thank you, Benjabenja.
Quote by RichieJovie
Again...Based on what?

The fact that Grade 1-4 Rockschool is incredibly easy compared to classical guitar grade 1-4...I've seen the grade 1-4 rockschool and classical stuff and believe me, classical guitar is much harder. But then at grade 5-8 it sort of evens out
Quote by Myung-trucci
The fact that Grade 1-4 Rockschool is incredibly easy compared to classical guitar grade 1-4...I've seen the grade 1-4 rockschool and classical stuff and believe me, classical guitar is much harder. But then at grade 5-8 it sort of evens out

With all due respect you are talking utter crap.
Quote by thefoldarsoldar
*cautiously enters thread*

What are you guys talking about - grades for music? I've never heard of a grading system. Is it based on the difficulty of the piece? Can I get an example of a "graded" piece?

Is there a music school I could be going to right now to do this kind of work, as opposed to my mundanely average public highschool?!?

I'm with this guy...where do I sign up?
ABRSM grade 7 theory grade 6 piano

Feel free to add me and listen to more hilarious jokes such as the above.
I'm doing my rockschool grade 4 soon, it's pretty easy lol
Curses...i have nothing of interest to write in this here place.