I was looking at changing out the humbuckers in my Schecter Tempest Extreme for decent single coils, since the humbuckers give a fatter, more metal tone where as I want a sharper tone for grunge and shoegaze.

Anyone got any ideas what I should look into? I was thinking Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar pickups or similar. I also have no idea how to change them, but I'll save that for when I actually get the pickups.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Bump, I need this query answered before I spend $150US on pickups that can't fit my guitar.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
humbucker sized P-90. or a duncan P-rail. or one of each.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I've played a friends' guitar with P-90s through my amp, and I didn't like the sound much. I might look into the P-Rails though.
Quote by Cathbard
yeah the p rail gives you a p-90 and a single coil, which when used together give you a humbucker. you can put in a switch to change between the settings
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
What about a DiMarzio Soap Bar? Anyone know much about those?
Quote by Cathbard
^essentially there a P-90 without being gibson brand.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
OK. I think it's between the P-rail or the Jazzmaster pickup.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by shadow__666
I was looking at changing out the humbuckers in my Schecter Tempest Extreme for decent single coils, since the humbuckers give a fatter, more metal tone where as I want a sharper tone for grunge and shoegaze.

Anyone got any ideas what I should look into? I was thinking Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar pickups or similar. I also have no idea how to change them, but I'll save that for when I actually get the pickups.

Quote by shadow__666
I've played a friends' guitar with P-90s through my amp, and I didn't like the sound much. I might look into the P-Rails though.

Quote by shadow__666
OK. I think it's between the P-rail or the Jazzmaster pickup.

Your Schecter Tempest Extreme comes standard with humbuckers, as you so said, so putting a regular sized P-90 into it will look horrible, because you'd have to route out extra space, then find away to patch the surrounding wood.

Also, a Jazzmaster uses P-90's, which you state you don't like because the way they sound. So to put your decision between a P-Rail, which is what I recommend if your willing to wire up the correct switches, and a Jazzmaster pickup is foolish, because you don't like the way P-90's sound (although Jazzmaster pickups do have a sound all there own).

You might want to rethink this.

What I would do, and what I plan on doing because I happen to like this idea, is to get a P-Rail and wire it so I can get all three types of pickups out of it, because I know there has to be a way to do so. That way, you have an immense amount of choices to choose from every time. Not to mention that knobs and switches are pretty bitchen.

Hope I helped somewhat, and remember that it pays to do your research before a purchase.
Quote by Joe-White
Your Schecter Tempest Extreme comes standard with humbuckers, as you so said, so putting a regular sized P-90 into it will look horrible, because you'd have to route out extra space, then find away to patch the surrounding wood.

Also, a Jazzmaster uses P-90's, which you state you don't like because the way they sound. So to put your decision between a P-Rail, which is what I recommend if your willing to wire up the correct switches, and a Jazzmaster pickup is foolish, because you don't like the way P-90's sound (although Jazzmaster pickups do have a sound all there own).

You might want to rethink this.

What I would do, and what I plan on doing because I happen to like this idea, is to get a P-Rail and wire it so I can get all three types of pickups out of it, because I know there has to be a way to do so. That way, you have an immense amount of choices to choose from every time. Not to mention that knobs and switches are pretty bitchen.

Hope I helped somewhat, and remember that it pays to do your research before a purchase.

wrong. the pickups LOOK like p-90's, but give much different (clearer and more mellow) tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Aren't you looking to buy a new amp?

Worry about that first - pickups won't make a lick of difference until you upgrade from yours. You might even find you don't need a pickup change once you get a new amp.

My amp has been deferred for later cause my dad said that if I do good in my end of year exams he'll get me a Mesa F-50.
Quote by Cathbard
Okay I reckon I'll just go for the P-rail. Thanks for all your advice.
Quote by Cathbard
id just get some lower output humbuckers.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.