I need some good banjo tunes to play i dont know much country and dont like it either i would be into some blues, all i can play just now is duelling banjos, the extremist by joe satriani and some other melodies.
Dude get into bluegrass. It isn't like country exactly. Especially the country you are probably thinking of. Look up Tony Trischka or Bela Fleck for the two best progressive banjo players around. Or go to the bluegrass rocks group for more suggestions, there is a link in my sig.

And to answer your question: Clinch Mountain Backstep
Quote by Beakwithteeth
Dude get into bluegrass. It isn't like country exactly. Especially the country you are probably thinking of. Look up Tony Trischka or Bela Fleck for the two best progressive banjo players around. Or go to the bluegrass rocks group for more suggestions, there is a link in my sig.

And to answer your question: Clinch Mountain Backstep

im not really wanting to get too into the redneck kind of stuff im not even america (but duelling banjos is good fun tho) really just want some relatively easy tunes to pick up. I had to teach banjo to someone so figured i might as well learn the damn thing lol.

also i like bela fleck a lot.
the only songs I know how to play on banjo are Cripple Creek and Knocking on Heaven's Door

I'm learning clawhammer style
this guy is brilliant at it: http://www.milesmusic.org/

just google "clawhammer banjo" and you'll find a bunch of stuff on how to play
Last edited by seljer at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Zan3
im not really wanting to get too into the redneck kind of stuff im not even america.

Only a small portion of modern bluegrass could be considered "redneck", that my friend is a stereotype.

Seriously, listen to my suggestions. You like Bela Fleck huh? The other guy I suggested, Tony Trischka, was his teacher. He has a few jazz fusion albums from the '70s and '80s and some classical stuff with Bela Fleck, if you REALLY don't want bluegrass then you should check that out.

Also not being in America doesn't mean you can't like bluegrass, the Czech Republic actually has a fertile bluegrass scene. Check out Druha Trava.
Quote by PollyWntsCrack
why not, not play it at all

not not what?
Take It Easy by The Eagles has a pretty radical banjo part playing in the background.

Also, the album Pork Soda by Primus displays some pretty cool banjo parts. Look it up.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Bela Fleck and The Flecktones.

DO IT.

NOW.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by British Josh
Take It Easy by The Eagles has a pretty radical banjo part playing in the background.

Also, the album Pork Soda by Primus displays some pretty cool banjo parts. Look it up.

Yeah but Primus uses "guitjo" or whatever you wanna call it where it is a 6 string banjo tuned like guitar. (Don't get me wrong they are one of my favorite bands.)
Look up Iron Horse's album Fade To Bluegrass. Its a sweet Metallica tribute
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean ? It's a mystery, and that's why mankind is.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/map /
Quote by Beakwithteeth
I would assume it is a banjo that is mandolin sized and tuned like a mandolin.

anyone care to elaborate on this?!?
A mandolin is tuned GDAE (opposite of the bottom guitar strings). A banjo mandolin would probably have small steel strings that are not doubled like a regular mandolin would be and it would have a floating bridge and no soundhole. etc. It would be a mandolin that looks and sounds like a banjo.
Hang man, hang man, hold it a little while
I think I see my brother coming ridin' a many mile

Gallows Pole by Led Zeppelin. Learn the banjo part.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
Pete Seeger, a **** load of Pete Seeger.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Sufjan Stevens comes to mind. Lots of his stuff uses a crapload of instruments and alot of his simpler music uses a lot of banjo. Songs like Decatur, For the Widows in Paradise, and The Mistress Witch from McClure are some good ones.
the banjo kazooie theme tune!
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
Quote by Zan3
dude check this out you will like it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLIRl15vPSs

I have that album. Some songs are good, but some aren't...
Nobody's Fault But Mine is probably the best
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.