I've been listening to a ton of Opeth lately, and I really love their tone. I've been thinking about getting a PRS for myself. So I've been wondering how you go about playing metal with a PRS, can anyone help me this?
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by Hcmanu
So there you have it kids, You're not eating easter eggs, you're eating the parastic-like insides of rabbits. Happy Easter, I've got a corpse to rape!
Just play the same way you would with any other guitar for metal? It's not too hard.
The PRS's are fairly versatile. Breaking Benjamin use them and they touch on metal.
Signatures are overrated.
I think I should have asked what would be a good amp to use with a PRS for metal.
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by Hcmanu
So there you have it kids, You're not eating easter eggs, you're eating the parastic-like insides of rabbits. Happy Easter, I've got a corpse to rape!
Then your question should have been "good amps for metal"

Anyway, Paevy makes some good metal amps, such as the 5150, and then there's the Marshall JCM 800 and the JCM 2000, and Mesa Boogie amps.

I think Opeth uses Marshalls, but I could be wrong.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Randall, Marshall, Peavey, Bugera, Mesa..

Those are just some of the brands that come to mind when you asked for a 'metal amp'.

I'd check out the Rm100, JCM900, 5150, 333, or a Dual rectifier.
That's just my opinion though.
Signatures are overrated.
The PRS is gonna set you up with that deep mahogany tone which can be suited to metal, and its still versatile enough so if you end up maturing in taste you can still have an axe that'll suit ya.

+

last time I checked Opeth used Laney's, which are similar to hopped up Marshalls and to an extent a distant cousin of amps like Splawn. That Mahogany tone + Bright amp really works up a tight sound that'll be pretty solid for metal.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
You plug in and play like you would any other guitar? Seriously, it's not like since it's a PRS you have to use it for any special genre or playing style. They make excellant rock and metal guitars, but sadly, for the price they are (it's like 3 grand for a Custom 24!), I can't see buying one unless it's used.

Amp wise, since you're an Opeth fan, maybe a Laney GH or VH 100 head? The Peavey 5150/6505 are metal standards, along with the Dual Rectifier from Mesa, but I'm not much of a Recto guy, so I'd go for the first two.

Quote by TheArcadeFire
Rob Chappers plays a bit of metal on Youtube. He uses Orange amps, and PRS guitars. He has quite the amazing set up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slEboEJGlls&feature=related

This video is lol worthy..

Chappers vids are godly! The Metal video is hilarious, but he also makes some really sick riffs and stuff in it!
get the new swamp ash prs they just realeased, it has double humbuckers, with a hotrail in the middle, the thing has crazy harmonics and sustain, and if you wanna play blues you can still pull the pushpot to make it a sss configuration
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
How much can I expect to pay for any of these amps?
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by Hcmanu
Quote by Najarok
How much can I expect to pay for any of these amps?

Well it depends what series you get. Marshalls can range from $1000 to $3000, Mesa Boogies as I remember aren't exactly cheap either. (Note: I'm talking half-stack/full-stack here, combo's will obviously be much cheaper, but can still get to the $1,500 range).
Around 500-600 dollars used, in the US.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I'm more interested in a half-stack/full-stack than a combo.
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by Hcmanu
Quote by Najarok
I'm more interested in a half-stack/full-stack than a combo.

What's your buget? A half stack at around 500-600 dollars isn't really worth it.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
My budget is whatever it costs. The price doesn't matter to me. I have a job and no other expenses to pay, so all my cash goes towards whatever I want it to.
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by Hcmanu
Okay.
Diezel Herbert full stack...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
And how much would that run me?
Quote by drunkinkoala

Quote by Hcmanu
like 5 grand. :p

/high fives aznrockerdude for the Diezel recommendation, whether or not it was a serious one

Seriously, if you have unliminted budget, the Diezel Herbert or VH4 is your ticket for crunchy rhythm tones that would still allow you to do pop...well...instantly really, even on like channel 2 or 3 (the heavy channels). Herberts are incredible, and well worth the cash.
ok
Mikael Åkerfeldt uses PRS guitars.
Laney VH100R
And he also uses a Boss-GT8 for most of the distortion parts.
Most of these LOLWTFPWNZORBR00TALZ amps are going to be complicated so your going to have to use a footswitch, so, Mesa Triple Rectifier fullstack through full Mesa rackmount ftw?

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php