Page 1 of 2
I love the way my Schecter Spitfire plays, but the stock pickups in it aren't doing it for me. They sound muddy on cleans, and can get a bit muddy with distortion if i dont' watch it. In addition to that, they're more, I guess you'd say "modern voiced" pickups, and I honestly don't need anything really agressive or modern voiced since I bought my Schecter Hellraiser.

So i'm looking to make the Spitfire into a guitar oriented towards a different voicing, since my amp responds really well to pickups, woods, etc. and since getting another guitar at this point (Fender Telecaster I had in mind) to get contrasting sounds is just a bit out of budget, and since it would anger my parents, I think getting new pickups would be the right way to go.

Basically I'm looking to make the Spitfire voiced more for alternative rock/post hardcore like bands such as The Fall of Troy, At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Thrice (Vheissu to The Alchemy Indexs), Muse, Radiohead, Russian Circles, etc. I'm hoping to make the low end tight and punchy, but not so in your face (kind of like the low end is on an Orange amp as opposed to a Mesa/Boogie if you catch my drift), with a more pronounced midrange that doesn't get boxy. I'd love sweet sounding treble too, that keeps lead lines nice and gives chords nice chimey definition (like The Mars Volta and The Fall of Troy have).

Basically I'm looking to voice it so that it sounds almost single-coil ish output and tone wise; I don't need insane output OR tons of bass, i've got enough with the Mesa and my Hellraiser's gunna be my more modern voiced guitar anyways, and as I said earlier I'd love to get a Tele right now to get contrasting sounds, but it's not in the cards right now.

I'd also prefer them to be passive pickups, and I'm really looking at something from Seymour Duncan and DiMarzio, since I've used both pickups with various amps I like and dig how they react to my playing. And no, I don't want a high output pickup, then just coil tap it for my needs so I can use the guitar for teh brutalz AND alternative; my Hellraiser covers the heavier side of music, I want this guitar SPECIFICIALLY for lighter voiced styles.

Thanks in Advanced,
RG_FANMAN
Duncan Custom + Jazz?

Nevermind, that probably has too much output.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Last edited by aznrockerdude at Aug 26, 2008,
Try a set of Dimarzio Breeds, from what im reading from on Dimarzios website, they arent as high output as Evolutions and have a more punchy midrange and the bass doesnt get muddy but its there.
EDIT:

Actually if youre looking for punchy, not very high output and single coil like tone, definitely check out those Seymour Duncan P90's that fit in humbucker slots
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Last edited by Teh GIR at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Teh GIR
Try a set of Dimarzio Breeds, from what im reading from on Dimarzios website, they arent as high output as Evolutions and have a more punchy midrange and the bass doesnt get muddy but its there.
EDIT:

Actually if youre looking for punchy, not very high output and single coil like tone, definitely check out those Seymour Duncan P90's that fit in humbucker slots

That reminds me, he should probably look at the Duncan P-Rails.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
OK my needs are very similar, so I'm watching this thread closely too. I was thinking of putting Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster or Jaguar pickups in my Tempest, maybe you could look at those?
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by Teh GIR
EDIT:

Really? I thought the Breeds were built for Vai so he could warm up and thicken up his JEMs, which would lead me to believe they've got a warmer, punchier sound, and i'm looking for tighter bass, and more midrange and sweeter treble.

And I've only played one P-90 equipped guitar (some PRS SE), and I honestly didn't see much difference between that and a humbucker in most of the other guitars I've played. Maybe the SE's just back all around? So do P-90s offer brighter sounds?

Actually, in addition to my other questions, does anyone know what pickups The Fall of Troy and Russian Circles use? I'm going more for the attack TFOT, TMV, ATDI and RC have distorted and clean.
I thought FOT used standard Gibson/PRS pickups...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
really? Thomas' main double cut has some SD pickup int he bridge, or at least used to.

BTW, concerning DiMarzio, what are your opinions of the Super 2 and the Norton? I did the pickup selector thing and noticed those two, which seemd to have enhanced treble and midrange.

Also, would the SD JB be an option for me? I heard they have a lot of treble and mids, but I also heard they can get harsh quite fast, and i'm not sure of their output.

EDIT: Also, what about the Eric Johnson pickups from DiMarzio? according to their website, Eric said they sound a lot like Strat pickups. I'm not a massive EJ fan (I only know like 2 songs from the guy), but would that be another option?
Last edited by RG_FANMAN at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN

EDIT: Also, what about the Eric Johnson pickups from DiMarzio? according to their website, Eric said they sound a lot like Strat pickups. I'm not a massive EJ fan (I only know like 2 songs from the guy), but would that be another option?

I thought they were made for making EJ's LP sound like a Gretch.

Also, I'd look into the Paf Pro, I don't recommend it often but you're looking for bright/clean...
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
I still suggest having a look at the Seymour Duncan Jazzmaster pickups.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by mcrfobtai
Duncan custom custom and jazz perhaps

The Sh-11 is too mushy for a mahogany guitar. The Jazz isn't that great, doesn't handle OD that well.

Quote by RG_FANMAN
Basically I'm looking to make the Spitfire voiced more for alternative rock/post hardcore like bands such as The Fall of Troy, At the Drive-In, The Mars Volta, Thrice (Vheissu to The Alchemy Indexs), Muse, Radiohead, Russian Circles, etc. I'm hoping to make the low end tight and punchy, but not so in your face (kind of like the low end is on an Orange amp as opposed to a Mesa/Boogie if you catch my drift), with a more pronounced midrange that doesn't get boxy. I'd love sweet sounding treble too, that keeps lead lines nice and gives chords nice chimey definition (like The Mars Volta and The Fall of Troy have).

tight but not overwhelming low end? nice aggressive midrange bite? sweet top end?
I'd recommend a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom 5. My favorite Duncan. Check out my uber crappily recorded clip, "Guns Blazing", on my profile. I'm all over the rhythm guitar. It'll give you an idea.

For the neck pickup, it depends on what you use it for, exactly.

Install series/parallel switches to make them sound brighter and more like a single coil, without losing too much output and thickness like you would with a coil tap. Plus, it's still hum cancelling.
Quote by aznrockerdude
I thought FOT used standard Gibson/PRS pickups...

He doesn't play PRS's. His guitars are all Gibson with the exception of a Rickenbacker 330 and an LTD Viper (which he very rarely even uses). But as far as the pickups are concerned he does use stock Gibson pickups.

TS: I honestly think the SD P-Rails would be worth looking into - Humbucker tone, P-90 tone, and SC tone all from one pickup. Should get just about any job done for you.
/\/\

That's pretty funny, since I was looking into that pickup also. I mean, Troy and Josh from Queens of the Stone Age tune down to C standard and still get a really tight and punchy sound. Alright, so for SDs the JB and the Custom 5 look pretty good, but that still leaves the neck position, and the EJs or dual PAF Pros for DiMarzio.

I use my neck pickups for getting a warmer sound, be it for cleans, or leads. I honestly dont use it much for rhythm (mainly cuz for the past few years i've been mainly a metalhead) and a neck pickup doesn't sound too great for chunky chunk chunk metal riffs, but I've really come to love alt rock and post-hardcore over the past few months, and a lot of those guys not only use bridge pickup for riffs, but the neck occasionally, so i'm hoping to become a little more intune with switching for other stuff.

And I'll kill another bird with the same stone here and ask: would it be possible to put a 5 way switch like my Ibanez has in my Schecter, or make a push/pull coil tap or series/parallel switch on it?

and to answer aznrockerdude's question, yes, they were made to make his LP reissue sound more like a Gretsch, but he said they have the clarity and structure that are basically like his strats (i forget the whole description from the website, but I think they actually say that he said they're very strat-like).
Okay, well, if you use your neck pickup for cleans, you probably want something like a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59, or Alnico II Pro. The Alnico II Pro is going to sound warmer and more balanced. Both are more than capable of lead tones.

As for your 5-way switch question....Yes, I just recently saw an Ibanez diagram that uses a standard 5 way switch, and can give you:
neck in series
neck in parallel
neck and bridge inner coils
neck and bridge
bridge

I've never wired it like that myself, though.

It's much easier, IMO, to just put in a push/pull pot. I have series/parallel switches on my SG for both the pickups. Just make sure the pickups you get are 4-wire ones.

Did you listen to my clips, to get an idea of the tone?
yea, I listened tot he clips, and the Custom 5's got a cool kind of vintage voice to it. do you have any higher gain clips of it? And for the neck, i've noticed the '59 is like the go to pickup for a lot of people, whether it's blues or death metal, so I may go with that, and i'll look into the push pull knob.

So it looks like basically either the Custom 5 or JB for the bridge and the '59 for the neck. Any input as far as DiMarzios go?
I don't really use much gain. My gain knob doesn't go past 12 o'clock, really, and my amp is kinda vintage voiced. And then I use pure nickel strings, which aren't as attracted to the magnetic field of the pickups, so they have a slightly more mellow distortion and warmer sound. Most of my distortion comes from my beating the **** out of my strings.

On a more modern voiced amp, I'm sure it'll still sound great.

And yeah, the SH-1 is just a solid pickup.

A solid Dimarzio combo might be a pair of Dimarzio Breeds. Fat, yet very well balanced and versatile pickups, IMO.
alright, cool. I'll definitely check out some Seymour Duncans for the Schecter. I only have the at 3 on my Mesa, but that's still quite a lot (depending on the pickup, I can go from half dirty to modern metal, the latter especially with the Hellraiser).
I actually may look into changing the preamp tubes to something lower gain and creamy. Don't get me wrong, I love the hell outta the sound I get (awesome dry crunch, but with enough spunginess so leads don't sound stale). I once tuned down to A# and put the gain at 10, and I could have sworn I actually killed a squirrel outside the window from the heaviness.
Duncan Custom 5 in the bridge, Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell in the neck...more mids and output in the bridge, chimey cleans from the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Aug 27, 2008,
Is there a Duncan equivalent of the HFH, or a DiMarzio equivalent of the Custom 5? Don't ask why, and even call it stupid, but I've got a thing about mixing pickup brands.
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Is there a Duncan equivalent of the HFH, or a DiMarzio equivalent of the Custom 5? Don't ask why, and even call it stupid, but I've got a thing about mixing pickup brands.

No i completely understand.

Mabye a Tone Zone in the bridge with the HFH in the neck?
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
alright, i think i'm gunna go with Duncans on this one guys; i've played them more than any other company, and dig their sound, so i'll go with a '59 in the neck and either the Custom 5 or the JB in the bridge (still trying to decide between that, but I'm leaning towards the Custom 5). Thanks for the help!
yea, that's what i'm going to do. ^_^

I actually thougth about it and realized most of my favorite JB tones are in downtuned guitars (except for The Fall of Troy, Every Time I Die, Protest the Hero, etc), and as of late I've been favoring Standard and Drop D, so I think the Custom 5 would be the ticket. Plus, not everyone uses it, so it'll sound unique!
The Sh-11 is too mushy for a mahogany guitar. The Jazz isn't that great, doesn't handle OD that well.
oh, I was looking into an sh11 for my mahogany guitar. Thanks!
Quote by forsaknazrael
Record some clips once you get it.

I would, but I don't have recording software, or for that matter any mics to record it with.

Quote by forsaknazrael
^Mahogany guitars love a Custom 5.

I'm actually not sure of the body wood on the spitfire. it's (from what i could gather) the equivalent of the damien or omen series as far as woods and materials go. Basswood maybe?
Quote by forsaknazrael
What kind of Spitfire is it?
There's different models, right? (I'm not too familiar with Schecter guitars)

Perhaps check Schecter's site?
http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=146
This one is mahogany.

No, it's not the fancy one. It's just black with some abalone-wanna be binding on the side of teh guitar, bolt on neck (maple, and it's got some really nice flame on it ), rosewood board, 3 way pickup selector (blade)...

Like this:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-6-Electric-Guitar?sku=513102
But it's got inlays like this guitar:
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-C1-Plus-Electric-Guitar?sku=513010

I haven't found ANY info on this model...I think it may be from 03 since the first two digits on the serial number are 03.
really? with the tone wizard thing on SD's website the Custom 5 came up all 3 times i did it with basswood for the three variations of rock you can choose from, whether it was mahogony or basswood except when it was metal and mahogony (it said to go for the SH-5 Custom), so i'm thinking it would be good. On DiMarzios site, it only came up one during the 6 different times I did the selector, and only when i selected metal and better harmonics. Otherwise I got a really wide variety of pickups with varying outputs. So either way, I think I'll go with the Custom 5 since I dont really intend my Spitfire to be a really brutal sounding instrument.
Ah, those wizards are dumb.

Well, I mean, I'm just saying, if it's basswood, it's more of a toss up.
They're both PAF-voiced, but on steroids, in terms of tone. The Custom 5 will sound good in basswood, and the Breed will sound good in mahogany. But switch it around, and they both excel.
Either way, you can't go wrong.

BTW, I've never really listened to Every Time I Die, do they really remind you of Maylene and the SOTD? Maylene really reminds of me of classic rock with a whole lot more gain and a giant kick to the balls. Every song just comes right at ya.
If you can, find ETID's "INRIhab" off their latest album. It's one of my favorite tracks off the album, and actually has like some hammond organ in it. ^_^ It's also got Dallas from Alexisonfire doing guest vocals. Or maybe "I've Been Gone a Long Time," which is older, but also still quite good. I forget some of the tracks, but their latest release (The Big Dirty, fyi) has some eclectic songs on it, ranging from more hardcore-ish to really blues influenced (INRIhab is one of them). A friend of mine likes ETID, and I showed him Maylene last night and he really dug them, so hopefully you'll like ETID.

And one of the things holding me back from going with the Breeds is their output; I'm afraid they'll be too high of an output for the guitar, and I don't really want it to be uber-high gain. I know Vai isn't really brutal, but still, their output isn't that much lower (at least it seems) from Evos, and I've heard EVOs aren't exactly low gain pickups. In addition to that, I thought Breeds were designed to excel in guitars with a locking tremolo system, and the Spitfire's got a string-thru body bridge; would that affect it any?
alright, i'll look into the Breeds more. It'll probably be like another month before I have the money for the pickups set aside, so I'll update it when I put em in.

And definitely check out ETID. I think you may like their stuff.
Page 1 of 2