Page 1 of 2
So school started and I have this retardo teacher for US history. I totally dont want to do work senior year, but theres a project comming and I though it'd be cool to do something on rock music and how people blame it for school shootings and violence. I saw the article on slipknot and the high school stabbing thing. I tried searching for more of these. I already know about Dee Snider and Marilyn Manson, but can you guys help me out on more(since google fails at this and only brings up issues AGAINST rock music). I'm sure one of you have already researched this so any previous info, websites, history timelines would be chill

thanks
Pose this question: If violent music automatically makes people violent, why doesn't music that talks about sex get you laid?
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
rammstein allegedly caused columbine
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Quote by sporkface
rammstein allegedly caused columbine

Led Zeppelin caused the Hindenburg crash. I'm sure of it
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
Ozzy and perhaps Judas Priest, I'm not sure about that one, were blamed for suicides.
boo****inghoo you're a senior and you don't want to do work. That does not make the teacher a retard. Oh yea and black sabbath got blamed for a church burning.
Death Cube K

Quote by primusfan
i know an old lady who supports abortion because it's generally low-class black women getting it performed and for her the less inner-city black kids (or blacks in general) there are, the better.

Oh Damn
Silverchair when a kid was listening to israels son he killed his parents then blames it on the song
also u should do something about those norweigen black metal bands. i remember somethin about this guy burning down churches. kinda show the other side of the argument
Look into the Vance + Belknap case. It was where two teens tried killing themselves to Judas Priest's "Stained Class". The families tried sueing Priest but were found innocent. One kid died, the other lived three years only to die of Heroine addiction.
Watch the documentary "Metal: A Headbangers Journey"

It touches upon this subject. Those Norwegian black metal guys are seriously ****ed up.
Bands I've seen live:

Def Leppard
Journey
Tool
Testament
Megadeth
Slayer
Mastodon
Deftones
Alice in Chains
Foo Fighters
Rodrigo y Gabriela
Quote by ElmoChipshot
also u should do something about those norweigen black metal bands. i remember somethin about this guy burning down churches. kinda show the other side of the argument

The other side of the arguement is basically, "those churches stand on grounds where Pagan churches stood until they were burned by Christians. I am returning this country to it's Pagan roots!" or something.

I like Varg and his music but there is no sound arguement for burning down 600 year old historical sites.
well i find the rock and metal and hardcore music lets you express your anger. they dont clog it all up inside you. so music is obviously at least a deturrent for violence. i hate people who blame music. then i have a huge arguement saying. something that was like the first reply.
I know people blame metal and rock music for killings and stuff but it helps me release stress and emotion so maybe talk about that side of things too.
Quote by Karvid
Pose this question: If violent music automatically makes people violent, why doesn't music that talks about sex get you laid?

Lolololol
Quote by Trefellin
The other side of the arguement is basically, "those churches stand on grounds where Pagan churches stood until they were burned by Christians. I am returning this country to it's Pagan roots!" or something.

I like Varg and his music but there is no sound arguement for burning down 600 year old historical sites.

well western civilisation, capitalism and prodestantism stemmed from henry the iv doing this in the 16th century, so your whole existance is based upon this pasttime.
There was a case from Memphis back in the eighties where Metallica lyrics and shirts were seized as evidence in a murder case. That might have to do more with satanism though.
Quote by Karvid

it does for most adults dude..never heard of marvin gaye. if you are a spotty 13 yr old virgin try fapping in a sock listening to al green it will be /winfapz
Quote by Daronisgod1
I know people blame metal and rock music for killings and stuff but it helps me release stress and emotion so maybe talk about that side of things too.

Yeah, the blaming of musician for the actions of others is bull. Music is therapeutic. It is often the only release some people have. It expresses our anger, hate, frustration and other emotions. Parents and society doesn't want to blame themselves so they make music the scapegoat. They can't even imagine that they were at fault.
Judas Priest was blamed for a suicide and an attempted suicide *he blow his face off with a shotgun and lived, wtf?!*
The kids were heavily into drugs and have really screwed up lives when they grew up. But regardless of their destructive and crappy past, it's totally Judas Priest's fault.
Black Out Band is responsible for millions of kids skipping school to play video games.
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Zan3
well western civilisation, capitalism and prodestantism stemmed from henry the iv doing this in the 16th century, so your whole existance is based upon this pasttime.

What are you talking about? Henry IV of England reigned during 15th century. 150 years before Protestantism, unless you speak of another monarch. Besides, changing to Protestantism only requires finding a different cleric and translating the Bible, not burning down the building. Religion has little to do with capitalism as Europe became increasingly secular.

My point is, there is no justifiable reason, in these modern times, to burn down stunning examples of 16th century Scandinavian architecture. As an appreciator of history, I find it abhorrent.
Last edited by Trefellin at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by Karvid

No bowling did haven t you ever seen that mike moore video
ozzy's suicide solution suicided a kid

and have you heard about the guy who was arrested for wearing a metal band's shirt that says "jesus is a c*nt"

and i heard that in some country some guys were arrested because they had metal cd's in their possesion. some evidence for their case were some blck t-shirts with metal band's logos and some other sh*t
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Last edited by ldnovelo at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by ldnovelo
ozzy's suicide solution suicided a kid

In "Metal - A Headbanger's Journey" They discussed that. One guy said the song is about comforting someone and letting people know that suicide is not the solution (never heard the song so I don't know) but he also said it was weird because if someone was really were serious enough to kill themselves over Ozzy's lyrics they would at least read between the lines and figure out thats not what the song is about.

Again, I never heard the song so I don't know what the lyrics are.

EDIT: Off topic, but I just re-read that. I think you should go back to English class

Double EDIT:
Quote by ldnovelo
and i heard that in some country some guys were arrested because they had metal cd's in their possesion. some evidence for their case were some blck t-shirts with metal band's logos and some other sh*t

In some countries, western music is banned.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Last edited by LazyLatinoRocke at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
In "Metal - A Headbanger's Journey" They discussed that. One guy said the song is about comforting someone and letting people know that suicide is not the solution (never heard the song so I don't know) but he also said it was weird because if someone was really were serious enough to kill themselves over Ozzy's lyrics they would at least read between the lines and figure out thats not what the song is about.

Again, I never heard the song so I don't know what the lyrics are.

EDIT: Off topic, but I just re-read that. I think you should go back to English class

yeah, i read of it on wiki. it was actually 2 guys. but they were asses and the only "evidence aginst ozzy" (because he IS responsable for the suicides) was that when the bodies were found, there was a portable cassete playes (an ancient walkman) on pause and itwas on the song suicide solution. actually, that song is about bonn scott, even if he didnt suicide.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by ldnovelo
yeah, i read of it on wiki. it was actually 2 guys. but they were asses and the only "evidence aginst ozzy" (because he IS responsable for the suicides) was that when the bodies were found, there was a portable cassete playes (an ancient walkman) on pause and itwas on the song suicide solution. actually, that song is about bonn scott, even if he didnt suicide.

Learn some grammar

but yeah, everyone blames music cause it is someone expressing them selves, so they don't get to the point of suicide and such, and they release it so it can help other people not reach that point either.
People who say music drives people to do anything is an idiot, IMO. The people who say this are the people who have never actually studied or taken the time to devote themselves to the kind of music they go against. Because it sounds angry and negative, thats an excuse for them to use it as a crutch or somebody to blame for somebody elses actions or misfortune.
Quote by bucktheduck

Call me troll, call me psychopath. In the end, I shall stand above you all as you drown in a pool of sex and filth. It will explode your corrupted bodies, and I will walk above the wreckage as a pure man.

Quote by DieGarbageMan

Haggard13 i are impressed
People can honestly blame music for suicide/shootings? Music doesn't make people kill themselves or one another. Other people cause that.
Keeping it real since '92
Quote by walkinbazooka
Black Out Band is responsible for millions of kids skipping school to play video games.

There's a bunch of topics on this, I actually had to do that for a research paper. If you use any sort of magazine as a source, be ready for "LOL OZZY MAKES KIDS BECOME AN HERO!"

But pose this question as well: Why would bands want their listeners to commit suicide? I remember one guy from a band (I forgot who it was and from which band) said that "If I wanted to put subliminal messages in our albums, they wouldn't say 'Kill yourself', they would say 'Buy more of our merchandise'".
Quote by Mudmen190
If loving ham makes me gay, I'm Rob Halford.

Quote by musiclover2399
MyNameIsLame just nailed it (actually both his statements did some nailing).

Quote by Oroborous
This is honestly the best first post I've ever seen

^^ Directed at me. E-peen wankery sigs ftw.

My Last.FM
Quote by Trefellin

thats what i meant. i wasnt saying what they were doing was right i was saying that what they were doing was wrong
Marilyn Manson and Slayer - Columbine (Probably been said, cba to read thread)

And I did the same project a year or two ago, it's probably on my HD somewhere.
Quote by woodenbandman
I guess that the rebellious, strong guy is more appealing than the guy who worships the ground you walk on and would take a bullet for you.

Gear:
Cordoba C5-Ce
Martin DX121
Martin LXM
Ibanez S520EX-> Weeping Demon Wah-> Roland Cube 20x
Quote by Karvid

Now that I think about it, that makes perfect sense!

Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
Quote by MyNameIsLame
There's a bunch of topics on this, I actually had to do that for a research paper. If you use any sort of magazine as a source, be ready for "LOL OZZY MAKES KIDS BECOME AN HERO!"

But pose this question as well: Why would bands want their listeners to commit suicide? I remember one guy from a band (I forgot who it was and from which band) said that "If I wanted to put subliminal messages in our albums, they wouldn't say 'Kill yourself', they would say 'Buy more of our merchandise'".

Dee Snider from Twisted Sister i believe
music shouldnt be blamed for shootings and stuff. but what annoys me is , people are always saying slipknot and rammenstein and whatever cause shootings and MCR cause sucicides , but rap and hip hop (well not all , but some) has songs about knives and shootings . i dont think its fair
I seem to remember a story about Judas Priest being sued for two guys suicides, because apparently there were messages promoting suicide in the bands music when played backwards.

I seem to remember they beat the case by arguing that if they knew how to put subliminal messages into their music, why didn't they put messages encouraging people to buy more of their albums.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
people are so stupid
they blamed myspace for a couple of suicides last year
and its like
they didn't want to live anymore....because of MYSPACE?
Page 1 of 2