just go all out and get the hot rod deluxe.
sorry im a bit confused by the question but if u don't want to spend the extra money i have played in this amp and it is great. so i'd say its worth the money but i own the hr deluxe and its so much better for like 150$ more in my opinion.
imo, no it's not worth it. the best thing about a blues junior, is that you can get a used one for $300USD,

spending almost twice as much for a prettier version (better speaker and all) doesn't make too much sense to me.

what type of music do you play?
are you in a band?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i play stuff like oasis smashign pumpkins sex pistols guns and roses
not in band yet but hope to be one

i have a bad monkey pedal and a big muff
a blues junior makes sense for your style of play.

but i had one and honestly, it's a bit of a white elephant.

it's loud for bedroom use.
you need to use a pedal to get anything but clean on it, when using it in your room.
at the same time, it has a hard time holding up to full volume when competing with a band.

i was depending too much on my pedals for OD when alone, and then hooking up extra speakers to get over a drummer when with a band.

imo, it's a nice amp. GREAT for classic rock and blues, but you might want to check out a used classic 30 amp.

or if you just want a nice tube amp for room practice, check out a 5W epi Vjr.
it is cheaper, has an attractive head and cab set, takes pedals well, and loves to be cranked.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Quote by jj1565
a blues junior makes sense for your style of play.

but i had one and honestly, it's a bit of a white elephant.

it's loud for bedroom use.
you need to use a pedal to get anything but clean on it, when using it in your room.
at the same time, it has a hard time holding up to full volume when competing with a band.

i was depending too much on my pedals for OD when alone, and then hooking up extra speakers to get over a drummer when with a band.

imo, it's a nice amp. GREAT for classic rock and blues, but you might want to check out a used classic 30 amp.

or if you just want a nice tube amp for room practice, check out a 5W epi Vjr.
it is cheaper, has an attractive head and cab set, takes pedals well, and loves to be cranked.

well i dont attend on cranking it in my bedroom and i bet at college a 15 watt tube amp will be plenty loud for a jam with a drummer
i'm saying when you try to use it at low volumes, like in ur bedroom, it'll sound like ass.

it needs to be cranked to heat up the tubes to get it to OD. if not, you'll just be using ur pedals all the time and not really getting the benefit of the amp.

and it'll be ok to jam, with just a drummer, but it gets lost in the mix in a band.
and it's not a great amp to take TO college, because generally you dont get a lot of room in a dorm, and blues juniors are a 30lb box, with and unprotected open back.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

If you don't plan on gigging VJ's, Blackhearts and fender champion 600's are good for bedroom use. But Classic 30s, Delta Blues, V33 and Palominos are all great choices for those styles
Quote by jj1565
i'm saying when you try to use it at low volumes, like in ur bedroom, it'll sound like ass.

it needs to be cranked to heat up the tubes to get it to OD. if not, you'll just be using ur pedals all the time and not really getting the benefit of the amp.

and it'll be ok to jam, with just a drummer, but it gets lost in the mix in a band.
and it's not a great amp to take TO college, because generally you dont get a lot of room in a dorm, and blues juniors are a 30lb box, with and unprotected open back.

I thought tube amps sound pretty good no matter what volume they are at--- even quiet i'll be fine with just using my bad monkey gain set to max
i've read 5 watters are way too loud too,, ,and i read another topic that a 15 watter with master volume would be better for practice than a 5 watt without

also 30 lbs isnt that heavy---- compared to the 40 pounds of the peavey classic 30
and the blues jr has enough of its back covered---

http://www.chickenbone.net/music/blsjrtweed.jpg

looks pretty safe--- compared to some amp like the peavey windsor studio
I thought tube amps sound pretty good no matter what volume they are at--- even quiet i'll be fine with just using my bad monkey gain set to max

nah, that would be nice, but you're going to have to use the pedal all the time.

and the tubes rattle around in a blues junior like you wouldnt believe. i remember open vents, and seeing the back of the speaker.
beer is going to get everywhere.

it's a big box which is why i suggested a 5w tube amp. not a peavey studio.
and no. the master volume on the blues junior isnt going to od the amp the way you think it is.

just get it if you want. i'm just saying imo, the expensive one is really expensive for what you're getting.
and the blues jr, is big for room use.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Actually the different speaker does make enough of a difference to matter. I've played both and the NOS does sound a bit better. But unless you have exceptionally loud single coils (I.E. Clapton 15 db midboost pickups) it's going to be hard to get dirty without a pedal. But it has great cleans and takes pedals great. I can get over a drummer, but I'm playing blues and light rock so the drummers aren't particularly crazy. If you had a loud drummer it'd be hard to be heard over him.

Whatever anyone else says, don't get a Hot Rod Deluxe or any other model in the Hot Rod series but the blues junior. They're really not that great. They're decent but not fantastic. I don't know why the blues junior was even included in the Hot Rod series, they don't sound anything like the others.

If you're going to get a practice amp and are stuck between the EVJ and the Blues Junior get the Blues Junior. No contest. It has a master volume and can get really low.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

^well yeah, a speaker change is important in a blues junior, but that amp is $550.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

i would go for a blackheart handsome devil

its cheaper and better for your genre

i heard they are orange tiny terror clones which is awesome but even if they are not clones they are still awesome amps

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Actually the different speaker does make enough of a difference to matter. I've played both and the NOS does sound a bit better. But unless you have exceptionally loud single coils (I.E. Clapton 15 db midboost pickups) it's going to be hard to get dirty without a pedal. But it has great cleans and takes pedals great. I can get over a drummer, but I'm playing blues and light rock so the drummers aren't particularly crazy. If you had a loud drummer it'd be hard to be heard over him.

Whatever anyone else says, don't get a Hot Rod Deluxe or any other model in the Hot Rod series but the blues junior. They're really not that great. They're decent but not fantastic. I don't know why the blues junior was even included in the Hot Rod series, they don't sound anything like the others.

If you're going to get a practice amp and are stuck between the EVJ and the Blues Junior get the Blues Junior. No contest. It has a master volume and can get really low.

well im not using single coils primarily im using a schecter c-1 blackjack with a seymour duncan JB in bridge--- which is pretty high output

also since im going away to college this fall it doesn't seem there is any better amp for the situation
Quote by timzee117
i would go for a blackheart handsome devil

its cheaper and better for your genre

i heard they are orange tiny terror clones which is awesome but even if they are not clones they are still awesome amps

i considered devil but its 47 pounds
i'd get the regular blues junior, and put a greenback in there

but in all seriousness, just get the regular blues junior and put a new speaker in.

Eminence red fang's are nice, same with the swamp thang

Also check out weber speakers
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
i'd get the regular blues junior, and put a greenback in there

but in all seriousness, just get the regular blues junior and put a new speaker in.

Eminence red fang's are nice, same with the swamp thang

Also check out weber speakers

i have no idea how to replace speakers
hey, i dont know about you but last time a checked the blues junior is a master volume amp. There are controls for both preamp volume and master volume, i may be wrong on the names but i do know that there are two volume controls ( i own one) so you CAN GET OVERDRIVE at bedroom levels. and it sounds great at bedroom levels. Anybody who says u can get get overdrive at bedroom level is stupid. Because you can control how much preamp distortion you want, and then use the master to set it to your desired volume. I may be wrong with the technical terms and such, but YOU CAN GET GOOD TONE/OVERDRIVE at bedroom levels
Gear:

Fender Blues Junior
MIM Standard Strat
EVH Phaser
535 q dunlop wah
modded ts9
E.H. Pulsuar Tremelo
Homemade truebypass box
a little bit of jesus
Quote by dangb523
hey, i dont know about you but last time a checked the blues junior is a master volume amp. There are controls for both preamp volume and master volume, i may be wrong on the names but i do know that there are two volume controls ( i own one) so you CAN GET OVERDRIVE at bedroom levels. and it sounds great at bedroom levels. Anybody who says u can get get overdrive at bedroom level is stupid. Because you can control how much preamp distortion you want, and then use the master to set it to your desired volume. I may be wrong with the technical terms and such, but YOU CAN GET GOOD TONE/OVERDRIVE at bedroom levels

jj1565 seems to say that the preamp distortion you're talking about sounds like crap but it seems you differ...
^^dangb. i said it. if you think i'm stupid then feel free and send me a PM so i can school you on just about everything you'll ever need to know about guitar.

TS, changing a speaker is as simple as unclipping the old one and mounting on the new one. takes 15 mins.
good luck.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by Acquiescence
also since im going away to college this fall it doesn't seem there is any better amp for the situation

Jenny's right: 15W is a bit of a 'tweener amp. Too powerful to get the best tones at lower volumes, but not enough power to jam with a band. Probably okay if you're the only guitarist, but if you're playing with another guitar or keys, you're going to have trouble cutting thru. Rather than being a size that does it all well, it's really a size that doesn't do either.

Not much difference at low volumes between the BJ and a Classic 30, but there's a big difference at the other end - especially when it comes to clean headroom. The C30 is very compact for a 30W amp. I think it would be your best choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by jj1565
^^dangb. i said it. if you think i'm stupid then feel free and send me a PM so i can school you on just about everything you'll ever need to know about guitar.

TS, changing a speaker is as simple as unclipping the old one and mounting on the new one. takes 15 mins.
good luck.

+1000

...she's right!

It is not that big of a deal.

i'm with jenny and slats. the master volume on the BJ doesn't really let you get all that heavy, you're talking classic rock, if even that heavy.

it's different if you're talking about, say, an engl, mesa, bogner or similar, but a blues junior is more or less made to be cranked...

it's true as well that 5 watters without master volumes are pretty loud- again you're tied to pedals at bedroom level. but at least they're a lot cheaper. i'd personally go with a 30 watter with a good master volume, that lets you get decent tone at lower levels. as jenny and slats suggested, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by dangb523

I would absolutely HATE to hear what you consider "good tone". I've tried a Blues Jr, & by themselves they don't sound that great to me, a bit better when cranked, & somewhat acceptable w/ an OD. The overdrive that amp produces at bedroom levels I wouldn't even call overdrive. You need to play some good amps, & refresh your perspective. Jenny knows what she's talking about, & you sound like a 13 yr old self-proclaimed know-it-all, who really knows nothing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by slatsmania
Jenny's right: 15W is a bit of a 'tweener amp. Too powerful to get the best tones at lower volumes, but not enough power to jam with a band. Probably okay if you're the only guitarist, but if you're playing with another guitar or keys, you're going to have trouble cutting thru. Rather than being a size that does it all well, it's really a size that doesn't do either.

Not much difference at low volumes between the BJ and a Classic 30, but there's a big difference at the other end - especially when it comes to clean headroom. The C30 is very compact for a 30W amp. I think it would be your best choice.

its like 10 pounds heavier though--- has like 4 output tubes would like something with 2 output tubes (cheaper to replace)
I have had this amp for about a month now and adore it!
Now my fender twin just rots in the closet.

I currently don't use any pedals with it and love the tone both clean and overdrive.
I play a G&L Bluesboy s/h. Blues and classic rock mostly.

I do want to get a nice fuzz pedal to do more black keys/ led zep stuff.

I should say this amp won't get you ACDC tones, but the natural breakup is so good I don't need a TS. ZZ top and SRV in a box. You want Sabbath? Your gonna need your distortion pedal.

Only thing I agree with the rest the posters on is if I would take this amp to a dorm room. You really should consider a champ and a TS for that space.

Best of luck!
Quote by Acquiescence
its like 10 pounds heavier though--- has like 4 output tubes would like something with 2 output tubes (cheaper to replace)

Ten pounds? An extra $20 in tubes every couple years?

I can't imagine believing that those two items would lead you to favor the BJ over the C30 for your needs. I suggest you get a glass jar and label it "tube fund" and drop a quarter in it a day. You'll have plenty of cash for your tube replacement when the day arrives. And as the jar starts to get full, maybe take it off the shelf and do some curls with it to help you with the whole 10 pounds thing.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Ten pounds? An extra $20 in tubes every couple years?

I can't imagine believing that those two items would lead you to favor the BJ over the C30 for your needs. I suggest you get a glass jar and label it "tube fund" and drop a quarter in it a day. You'll have plenty of cash for your tube replacement when the day arrives. And as the jar starts to get full, maybe take it off the shelf and do some curls with it to help you with the whole 10 pounds thing.

na, its still heavier than an GH controller. it wont be any good. try again. . .

i have an 180 pound amp, grow some balls, geez
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!