My band is looking for ways to record our first EP, but we just wanna do it at home, rather then paying for a studio. I've figured out how to record and everything, but I was thinking of a new way that would probably be better quality.

I was wondering if I could get a chord that can go from the output of my amp head, to the microphone input on my computer? And if I can, will it "overload" my computer in any way? Or, will I be safe? Because as of now, we've just been micing up our amps, and we think we could improve the quality if it went straight from the amp to the computer.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

ok your comp wont blow up but it sounds ****HOUSE.

watch this vid. it helped me a lot - http://www.imperialmastering.com/guitartonevid/

basically he shows you how to mic your amps properly. good luck!!!
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
well, i just did that with my randall g3 but i went through a mixer first. so give it a try, but it should be ok. it does get rid of the excess noise and feed back.
So, it won't make my computer explode? H'okay, cool. : l

The main reason I'm asking this is because our setup is REALLY basic, and we only have ONE mic to record with, so we're going to be doing each instrument individually. And, since we can't do drums with one mic, we've got our hands on an electric drumset, which we were gonna put through a pre-amp, straight to the computer.
dude the sound you'll get will be terrible, no matter how good you play/record it.

the onboard soundcard on ur pc is worthless for recording. believe me i tried it in my innocence but now i have pro tools and have NEVER looked back.

btw i bought a mini mbox 2 for $171 and i got pro tools and a whole bunch o plug ins, my sound from recording has gotten SO MUCH better and im still learning the program

- and thats with a SM58 mic. just one. and standard leads.

- and i have no spare room to put my amp to get a decent sound without the waves bouncing off everything in the damn room, plus its annoying having to be in the same room as my Laney coz i have to listen to the click track and crank it coz my amp is so ****ing loud.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Last edited by bigtimmy at Aug 26, 2008,
Well it'll cost $600 bucks to do it once in a studio. Take the 6 bills, go to GC get an interface, a condenser mic, and a cheap software program. Done.
Quote by ottoavist

i suppose there's a chance
i'm just a litte too shallow to consider
that maybe i've been a little more eager
each day to wake up and take a shower
brush my teeth and smile for the mirror
Quote by bigtimmy
dude the sound you'll get will be terrible, no matter how good you play/record it.

the onboard soundcard on ur pc is worthless for recording. believe me i tried it in my innocence but now i have pro tools and have NEVER looked back.

btw i bought a mini mbox 2 for $171 and i got pro tools and a whole bunch o plug ins, my sound from recording has gotten SO MUCH better and im still learning the program

- and thats with a SM58 mic. just one. and standard leads.

- and i have no spare room to put my amp to get a decent sound without the waves bouncing off everything in the damn room, plus its annoying having to be in the same room as my Laney coz i have to listen to the click track and crank it coz my amp is so ****ing loud.

The thing is, we don't have money to spend on anything, we have what we have now. We don't need really good sound quality, either, just something that's bearable. We've recorded an acoustic song before, because we didn't know how to do drums, and it sounded fine quality-wise. And we have to have this EP recorded before September 27th, so we're looking for a fast easy way to do it.
Quote by AngelOfHatred
My band is looking for ways to record our first EP, but we just wanna do it at home, rather then paying for a studio. I've figured out how to record and everything, but I was thinking of a new way that would probably be better quality.

I was wondering if I could get a chord that can go from the output of my amp head, to the microphone input on my computer? And if I can, will it "overload" my computer in any way? Or, will I be safe? Because as of now, we've just been micing up our amps, and we think we could improve the quality if it went straight from the amp to the computer.

better if you mic up the amps. also in the long run if you dont plan on recording any other bands you would be better off going to a studio. cause if you want the same quality as the studio it would cost you a good 1k just to start and that doesnt include programs. also you will need a really good processer and good ram to bring down the latency.
acutally depending on the studio and i take it, its semi good quality to pretty good quality depending on the insturments. it would cost you a good 2.5k to 3k
Quote by convictionless
better if you mic up the amps. also in the long run if you dont plan on recording any other bands you would be better off going to a studio. cause if you want the same quality as the studio it would cost you a good 1k just to start and that doesnt include programs. also you will need a really good processer and good ram to bring down the latency.
acutally depending on the studio and i take it, its semi good quality to pretty good quality depending on the insturments. it would cost you a good 2.5k to 3k

Which is money we wouldn't be willing to spend on this. It's just a basic EP that we wanna give out, just so people can get to know our songs more. In the future, we will definitely be willing to spend money to get a good sounding CD, but this is just something cheap.

For the drums, should we plug the electric drum set into an amp, then mic that amp up, then?
just do whatever you want, really. plugging the amp in like that won't make anything spontaneously combust, so you're fine with that. and if you spend enough time with it and really work it out and tweak it, you can mmmaybe get it to sound halfway decent, but you're far far far better off just mic-ing the amps.

also, with drums:
i'd suggest just micing up an acoustic set (you only need 2 mics, and its still doable with 1 mic if the kit is reasonably sized) but if that is totally not an option, then just run the drum set straight into the computer. it'll sound pretty ****ty, but better than if you try to mic an amp.
Quote by phoenix_88
just do whatever you want, really. plugging the amp in like that won't make anything spontaneously combust, so you're fine with that. and if you spend enough time with it and really work it out and tweak it, you can mmmaybe get it to sound halfway decent, but you're far far far better off just mic-ing the amps.

also, with drums:
i'd suggest just micing up an acoustic set (you only need 2 mics, and its still doable with 1 mic if the kit is reasonably sized) but if that is totally not an option, then just run the drum set straight into the computer. it'll sound pretty ****ty, but better than if you try to mic an amp.

So mic the guitar/bass amps, but don't mic the drum amp? H'okay.

And, an acoustic set is not an option. My mom's all freaking out and whatnot, saying she doesn't want a drumset in our living room, because she's in love with our hardwood floor. I just can't convince her to let us have one up here even for just a day, so we have to go the electric route, cause she's allowing that.
ah. lame.
but yeah, just direct in the drums. putting them through and amp and then micing that amp would get you unnecessary tone added, and by micing it you'd lose the directness of the sound.
just track them as a direct line in, and throw a bit of EQ and reverb on the track. (granted you'll probably be doing that with the rest of the tracks, but you'll probably have to fiddle a bit more with the drums to make them sound less electronic.)
Quote by phoenix_88
ah. lame.
but yeah, just direct in the drums. putting them through and amp and then micing that amp would get you unnecessary tone added, and by micing it you'd lose the directness of the sound.
just track them as a direct line in, and throw a bit of EQ and reverb on the track. (granted you'll probably be doing that with the rest of the tracks, but you'll probably have to fiddle a bit more with the drums to make them sound less electronic.)

Yeah, we've already brought up the whole subject of having mess with the drums a bit to make them sound more realistic, but we've got a pretty solid electric set, which sounds pretty realistic.

So, you're sure if I put something like the drums straight into the computer, it's not gonna blow anything up? Cause I'm pretty paranoid, as my old computer just crashed, and I just got this new one, which I don't wanna wreck.
pick up a cheap little preamp from A R T or someone. might help to monitor your levels and warm things up a bit if you want.