My alternate picking is definately not what I want it to be. Sometimes, I can play almost perfectly. Slow speeds and higher ones. Then, other times, I can't even play slow - 60bpm. Fast would be around 100bpm.

Could it be because I don't warm up enough???

Thanks in advanced.
well it might be your technique. is it strict up and down? or do you change with direction?
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by The.new.guy
My alternate picking is definately not what I want it to be. Sometimes, I can play almost perfectly. Slow speeds and higher ones. Then, other times, I can't even play slow - 60bpm. Fast would be around 100bpm.

Thanks in advanced.

are you serious??? or is that just when you have an off day?

i clocked myself at 250bpm once....

to answer ur question, maybe look up some instructional videos on alternate picking techniques, one guy posted the other day about how he watched a paul gilbert vid or sumthin and realised he wasnt gettin tight picking because he used his thumb to move the pic instead of using the wrist.

good luck!
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
It could be that you're not locked in to the beat of the metronome. When I'm playing sextuplets at 30bpm, I have to let the beat sink in my mind. before I play, I do count the sextuplets between each beat and then I start playing. I couldn't play at 20bpm 'cause of the space between clicks.

So I guess just pay attention and pay attention to the clicks.

One exercise that I can think of is to play at a comfortable speed, then lower the metronome click a little at a time until you get on a slow speed.

EDIT: OR you were comfortable in the fast speed and can't go back to slow.
Quote by bigtimmy

Wow dude! You're fucking awesome!

Warming up does have a big effect on speed, if you just pick up a guitar and expect to play your fastest/cleanest it probably won't turn out that way. I've found I need to play about 30 minutes before I can attempt to do my most challenging exercises cleanly.
Comparing speed in BPM is stupid without saying what note duration your playing. Also, there's more than just speed, such as the complexity of the line and articulation/clarity.

As mentioned, warming up is important. Also, make sure your picking motion and pick angle is always consistently the same.
Quote by bigtimmy

250bpm isn't that fast when you're using whole notes.
Quote by The.new.guy

Thanks in advanced.

When you say "can't" what do you mean? Like what happens? e.g. do you feel tense, can't stay locked to beat, etc