Hi there, first time in the MT forum, and I'm having a problem with understanding Harmonization. I'll try to explain with an example, as I'm no good with words.

My example is in the key of A Major.

The first guitar plays the E at the 9th fret of the G string.
The second guitar plays the B at the 9th fret of the D string.

If the E is the 5th Interval, and the B is the 2nd. They would be three Intervals apart:

A Major: A B C# D E F# G#
Intervals Pattern: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Would this be classed as a 3rd Third Interval harmonization? Or should I use the B/E as the root note and go from there?

E.g.

E Major: E F# G# A B C# D#
Intervallic Pattern: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Making this a 5th Interval harmonization?

Thanks for any help you could give me, guys (and girls. ).

EDIT: The problem is not a question of B to E or E to B per se, but whether the example being in A Major would change anything with B and E not being the Root note.
"2,000,000 NPS Whores" club.
Appreciating the beauty of music so fast it blows puny mortal's faces off.
Bow down to teh Shredzor!
PM La Qotsa if you want to join. No emotion? Pah!
Last edited by Arpeggio X at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Well, E to B is a minor third, regardless of how you look at it, if that's any consolation.

So I could call it a Minor Third Harmonization and get away with it?
I'm just trying to figure it out, as in the key of E Major, the B would be the 5th. Thank you for your response though.
^ what? E to B is a perfect 5th. B to E is a fourth.

TS, what you're playing is a diad, its hard to say without a doubt that its a inverted 5th as we don't know it in context but i would bet that its a 5th inversion voicing an E
Quote by Arpeggio X
Hi there, first time in the MT forum

Quote by Arpeggio Y
If the E is the 5th Interval, and the B is the 2nd. They would be three Intervals apart:

A Major: A B C# D E F# G#
Intervals Pattern: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Would this be classed as a 3rd Third Interval harmonization? Or should I use the B/E as the root note and go from there?

You're right to think that you include the B; B up to an E is a perfect fourth. When counting intervals, you take the root as 1, so C# would be a second, D a third, and E a fourth. Make any sense?

E.g.

Quote by Arpeggio Z
E Major: E F# G# A B C# D#
Intervallic Pattern: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Making this a 5th Interval harmonization?

Thanks for any help you could give me, guys (and girls. ).

If you're wondering if E to B is a perfect fifth, you are correct to think so.
To the great z4twenny, the context:
My example comes from the harmonized riff in "The Boys Are Back In Town" by Thin Lizzy. (Which is why the key for the example is A Major as opposed to E/B.)
Would the example being in the key of A Major change anything?

I'm using this to explain harmonization to my friend, as I've put together a music theory crash course for him. I just thought I'd consult the MT forum about the things I didn't quite understand myself in order to make sure I understood the concept perfectly before trying to teach anything.
Your posts have helped me a lot when I have been lurking these past few years.

I'm thinking I've been musically retarded here, as I completely forgot about the Intervals repeating themselves due to the octave.
Last edited by Arpeggio X at Aug 27, 2008,