Hello Pit.

I've recently started up high-school again, and I am taking my first music theory class.

I am a little nervous, because everybody else in the class has clearly more knowledge about theory than I do, almost all of them are currently in Orchestra or Band.

I took band in 6th and 7th grade, but after that I stopped. Obviously I continued with the guitar, but not with lessons, just at home, and not with to much theory.

We received our first assignment today, and that was to bring in one piece of music that we really liked, our favorite song, any song at all, and be able to discuss why you chose it based on the 4 different musical elements.

My question is, even though the teacher said your favorite, I feel like I will get some looks for bringing in a modern rock song or something. All these kids were talking about classical, jazz, etc.

Has anyone else ever taken a music theory class? Could I maybe get some tips on songs that would be rock, but respectable by a class full of classical students?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
Chris Redfield Of The Resident Evil Club
Take something very ignorant and racist <.<
GEAR

Ibanez RG 420 CM

Line 6 Spider III
Never taken a music theory class, sorry, but good luck in yours.

When the new school year starts, my music teacher is starting a classical guitar class which is going to be sweet. Unfortunately, I have to learn to read sheet music and I put it off the whole summer so I got 6 days before school starts to learn.
If Rock is a life-style, then Metal's an addiction

Yelloooow!

Of The

UG Challenge

Listen to Call of Ktulu on YouTube.

It's got classical-influenced minor chromatic arpeggios and has several modulated phrases.
Last edited by Twisted Magnum at Aug 26, 2008,
Don't give a ****. I had this assignment on a down day of my Music Program, I brought Yngwie Malmsteen's "Far Beyond The Sun" and the teacher was talking about how the dude used Bach and stuff. Everyone else music was good to listen to too. Pray the same will happen for you.
What are these 4 elements?

We didn't do much in my theory class. We went over reading music, major, minor, and blues scales, triads, dominant 7th chords, modes, and some other stuff. I already knew almost all of it. We did literally nothing for the last few weeks.

Maybe pick something by The Beatles. They have interesting chord progressions and nice melodies.
i second that
Gear:
Gibson SG w/ Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
Early 90s Fender MIM Telecaster
Squier VM Jaguar
Ibanez RGD7421
Blackstar HT-100
Avatar Vintage w/ 2 Governors and 2 Swamp Thangs
Ibanez EX
Carvin bx500 w/ Peavey 2x10&1x15
I was possibly thinking of something from Oasis since there stuff is kind of mellow, and has a nice vibe to it, not to shocking for my laid back class, but the Beatles sound good too, because they definitely have that classical touch to them.
naa take TOOL lateralus

and then ask your music teach about what time signature its in and ****...

Cause i can never work it out... it messes with my head

Although that might be the weeds fault :/
Gear:

Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Fender Telecaster USA
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sheraton
Jackson KE3 Kelly Pro
Boss Super Chorus
Boss Super Overdrive
MXR Carbon Copy
Morley Pro Series Wah/Volume/Distortion
t.bone wireless system.
Quote by Bowlingforcerea

We received our first assignment today, and that was to bring in one piece of music that we really liked, our favorite song

i don't understand how this is so hard.
pick your favorite song.

you don't listen to classical music. big deal. don't fake it.
Bring in some Yngwie or some old classical. Pacabels canon?
member of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm silvertoness11 to join

Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
In the beginning there was nothing...

...which exploded.

UG MISSLE SILO!
Or bring something like Space Dementia, New Born or Hoodoo by Muse.

Classical oriented rock with lots of piano bits.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Quote by phoenix_88
i don't understand how this is so hard.
pick your favorite song.

you don't listen to classical music. big deal. don't fake it.

Thanks, I suppose you are right, I really shouldn't give a damn what they think, they're annoying and stuck up.
yeah i know i started theory class today too and all the people in there were stuck up ****heads that were ****in annoying as hell and we have a gay teacher so that just makes it all the more fun yay me! =/.............hate that class
heyo. you kids.
stop acting like you're too cool for school.

music is awesome, and only gets better when you start to understand what's going on.
listening to classical music doesn't make you stuck up, and if anything, you're the ones who are stuck up.
/rant
End of the Beginning - Jason Becker. If that doesn't blow everyone's mind then you should find yourself another school.
I'm surprised nobody has said I cum blood yet.
May the Schwartz be with us! 2012

MAL

Q: OK, so do you care about the labels — nastiest, edgiest team in the NFL?

Jim Schwartz: It's better than the alternative — meekest, least aggressive, softest team in the NFL.

I'm goin into AP Music Theory this year. It's tons of fun.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Quote by phoenix_88
heyo. you kids.
stop acting like you're too cool for school.

music is awesome, and only gets better when you start to understand what's going on.
listening to classical music doesn't make you stuck up, and if anything, you're the ones who are stuck up.
/rant

Please don't mistake it like that. I go to a school that is predominately rich kids.

these are the kids that have been playing an instrument from the womb, and feel like they are gods of music.

I never wanted to make it sound like "oh if you like classical you are a stuck up arse."

Sorry if that's what it sounded like.
Hate to break it to you but there are 7 elements of music, might want to find a teacher who knows their stuff...

Most people who take music classes tend to be classical elitists depite the fact that many contempory music composers are equally as talented, I'd reccomend something like Tool, the Beatles, Frank Zappa, Mars Volta, or For the Love of God by Steve Vai on his Sound Theory cd just so you can be like OH YEAH B!TCHES ITS CLASSICAL BUT ROCKIN DEAL WITH IT!
Mabel's Fatal Fable by Jason Becker will blow their ****ing minds.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
Tool's Schism.

Elaborate on the exquisite use of time signature changes.
hey that is exactly what happened to me! um heres what i brought in. i borrowed some classical music from a friend and brought it in. moonlight sonata
Ah, yes Music Theory. Good jamming when the teacher was absent. I remember our first assignment, a test that I failed because at the time I couldn't read in the bass clef. For that assignment, eh, anything is possible. Progressive Rock would be a good rock genre to choose a song from, whether it be old school King Crimson or Dream Theater or Tool. Or jazz-rock, something by Return to Forever or something. Me, I'd probably bring in Giant Steps, the original by Coltrane. That, in my mind, is the best shredding ever (done on a saxophone). Seriously, just typing this, I'm going to go listen to it.
There's a lot more elements to music than just four.

And you should show Buffalo by Stump:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-PmQ3dFQvs

Theorize that, assholes!

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by FoolOnThePlanet
I'm goin into AP Music Theory this year. It's tons of fun.

Music Theory is fun until you enter AP theory. Seriously, it is like taking music up the ass.
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by Bowlingforcerea
Hello Pit.

I've recently started up high-school again, and I am taking my first music theory class.

I am a little nervous, because everybody else in the class has clearly more knowledge about theory than I do, almost all of them are currently in Orchestra or Band.

I took band in 6th and 7th grade, but after that I stopped. Obviously I continued with the guitar, but not with lessons, just at home, and not with to much theory.

We received our first assignment today, and that was to bring in one piece of music that we really liked, our favorite song, any song at all, and be able to discuss why you chose it based on the 4 different musical elements.

My question is, even though the teacher said your favorite, I feel like I will get some looks for bringing in a modern rock song or something. All these kids were talking about classical, jazz, etc.

Has anyone else ever taken a music theory class? Could I maybe get some tips on songs that would be rock, but respectable by a class full of classical students?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

I took my first theory class last year and pretty much went in knowing almost nothing. Like you the majority of the kids had been studying music for years already but as long as the teacher starts from the beginning you'll find yourself picking it up alright. I actually had the best test score in my class on one of our last exams.

Just give it your best shot and enjoy it, I really liked the class and learned a lot.

As far as songs any good rock band can have uses of theory. Take in what you like even if it is modern rock, a number of kids in my class were into rock as well.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by LazyLatinoRocke
Never taken a music theory class, sorry, but good luck in yours.

When the new school year starts, my music teacher is starting a classical guitar class which is going to be sweet. Unfortunately, I have to learn to read sheet music and I put it off the whole summer so I got 6 days before school starts to learn.

good luck with that, 2 months of trying to learn sight reading gets you far enough to read maybe 8 bars of crotchet melody in C major
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
im surprised no one sugessted Dee by Rhady Rhodes, hello thats classical up your ass. but i also second Call of Ktulu
You'll learn a lot in that class, it's a good opportunity. Good for you for actually bothering to learn theory
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."