Page 1 of 2
im looking for a 30watt tube amp to capture a cream/zeppeliny sound and just wanted to know yalls opinon on the orange rocker 30.... been lookin at some marshalls but this seems like a really solid amp....possibly even higher quailty then a marshall...This is also starting to feel the offical orange amps only thread...so chat about anything all long as its orange
Last edited by MW516 at Aug 27, 2008,
ive looked at them before... they are really well built amps, better than marshall by a longshot imo. especially for those hard rock tones.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Damn, you could wait more than an hour before you bump...

You know, bumping is actually against the rules.

The Rocker 30 should be GREAT for those tones.
Here's some good videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RkQP9BVZ1U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHwFIUbJkOo

I'd personally take an Orange Rocker 30 or Rockerverb 50 over any current production Marshalls, for classic rock and hard rock tones (Which is what I play). They're not "possibly" better than Marshalls - they are.
I actually really want a 30 watt orange....actually, that, plus like 2 orange 4x12s would be great for me. Also check into the AD30TC Head. The Rocker 30 seems to be a really good head though; not only can it do classic rock, but it can also do more modern music...Tim from Underoath runs one of those with a Marshall JCM800s and gets one of the clearest, crunchiest tones in modern music IMO.
if that amp is in your budget than go for it. it would do it quite well methinks
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Pft. The guys from Dallas Taylor's project, Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, sound way better.
They're sporting Orange Rockerverbs.

Well aren't they fancy then?

I've got like a song or two from Maylene on my ipod I think, but I've only listened to it a few times. Sounds pretty good though. Oddly I prefer Dallas' voice in Maylene then when he used to be in Underoath.
Where do you live and how much do you have? They're terrible value in the U.S., not generally gonna be worth it IMO. If you can afford it, though, it's still good stuff - out of all the big-name makers (Marshall, Hiwatt, Mesa, etc.) I think their OD is pretty much the top of the pile.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Aug 26, 2008,
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Well aren't they fancy then?

I've got like a song or two from Maylene on my ipod I think, but I've only listened to it a few times. Sounds pretty good though. Oddly I prefer Dallas' voice in Maylene then when he used to be in Underoath.

Definitely. I quite like his screaming here, and I don't really like screaming.
Pick up their album, II. It's brilliant. I can listen to that on repeat for days.
Oh, hey, we're talking about Maylene. I didn't even notice. One of the only hardcore bands I listen to.

Nice to know that more than just me on here listens to them.
On the topic of Orange amps...I'm thinking about getting the tiny terror head. Can it hook up to 2 4x12s for a full stack or does it only have one extension cab out?
i think you can do a fullstack

pretty sure its 16 ohm and an two 8 ohm jacks

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Cool. Thanks. The only reason I wanted to know is because I just got 2 Marshall MG cabinets for free. I know that they arent that great, but I thought it would be kinda funny to have a fullstack with the tiny terror head because the MG cabs are smaller than regular marshall cabs. Kind of like a 15w midget full stack.
Heard bad things about reliability of modern orange heads. Splawn and many others are better choice in the US. Pretty much anything else in the price range is better choice in UK.
Quote by Horlicks
Heard bad things about reliability of modern orange heads. Splawn and many others are better choice in the US. Pretty much anything else in the price range is better choice in UK.

Horlicks speaks the truth, even the modern combo amps seem to have reliability issues. I know two people who both had to get theirs repaired after they developed faults.
My combo has never had a single problem and I've used it every day (except when I'm not in the country) for the last year and a half.
aye, i've had two TT's break....

the sound they produce makes up for it though...............kinda.
Gibson LP w/SD59+PRS Dragon II
Fender 52RI Hotrod Tele
PRS Tremonti SE w/Bulldog Extremist/Black Label

Cornford MK50H & 2x12
Marshall JMP-1

TC Electronics G-System

MacBook + Ableton Live
Quote by JOn`
aye, i've had two TT's break....

the sound they produce makes up for it though...............kinda.

Reliability is probably as important as tone to be honest, at least if you are a gigging musician it is.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Definitely. I quite like his screaming here, and I don't really like screaming.
Pick up their album, II. It's brilliant. I can listen to that on repeat for days.

I was thinking about getting it. Maybe it's just me, but a few of their riffs and arrangements kind of remind me of early Every Time I Die, which is a good thing.

And to answer reliability questions, I haven't heard bad stuff on any of Orange's products. Maybe the TT has some issues, but since it's meant to be a budget amp that could explain some issues. From what I hear, the majority of Orange amps are built like tanks. I know Wes Borland used a Diezel for Black Light Burns album, but uses Orange's out on the road since they give a similar sound and hold up better on the road (his words, not mine). Now, if Diezels are basically small tanks, I wonder how good Orange's hold up on the road. From what I've read, they're cabs are rock solid, and sound good for a ton of different music, which is why i'm looking into one.

Value wise, go used. I think Orange 4x12s (as an example) are like 1200 or something new, but used in basically mint condition they're like 700 on Craigslist. I know the Rocker 30 heads and the Orange AD30TC heads are like 1500 - 1800 (REALLY wide figures, cuz i can't recall them off the top of my head), but used you can get one for around 1G, probably less. I'm actually looking into saving up some dough and eventually splurging on a 30 watt orange head and a 2x12 cab to run in conjunction with my Mesa to give it a cleaner contrast in amp sound, or to just use it on it's own, since Orange heads sound amazing.
Would this thread be a good place to ask what the main difference is between the Rocker 30 and Rockerverb 50? Aside from reverb and wattage.
'15 Fender Modern Player Tele
'88 MIK Squier Strat
'06 Ibanez RG5EX1
Peavey Vypyr 75

Currently GASing for: Orange TH30C
Quote by 666_Pounder
My combo has never had a single problem and I've used it every day (except when I'm not in the country) for the last year and a half.

I had to send mine to get repaired because the speaker blew. But I think that's not really slanderous towards Orange, rather then speaker. I wasn't even pushing it that hard. It was at about 85% but on the clean channel with a Telecaster. Tsch, harsh.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by hotsnakes
Would this thread be a good place to ask what the main difference is between the Rocker 30 and Rockerverb 50? Aside from reverb and wattage.

Effects loop for one. The 50 i believe is EL34 and the 30 is EL84. I also believe the 50 has more EQ than the 30. that's all i know of.
wat would the price difference in price be between the rockerveb and rocker 30 heads...
What about the orange crush 30 watt. anyone have any problems with them? for 200 bucks it seems to be pretty good... how's it compared to the line6 spider 3 or peavey vyper? i posted a thread with this exact ques. a couple of days ago but only one person answered. surely someone else knows something. thanks!
Quote by MW516
wat would the price difference in price be between the rockerveb and rocker 30 heads...

About $600
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by bmm27
What about the orange crush 30 watt. anyone have any problems with them? for 200 bucks it seems to be pretty good... how's it compared to the line6 spider 3 or peavey vyper? i posted a thread with this exact ques. a couple of days ago but only one person answered. surely someone else knows something. thanks!

Not recommended, but better than a line 6 no doubt. I wouldnt spend 200 on it though.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
They sound pretty good. I think my school's got one that they use from time to time in plays and stuff, and it sounds pretty good.
What iis your budget. Oranges cost a butload but they are worthh it. tell us your budget and we will help you find an amp that suits your needs in your price range.
Quote by MW516
im looking for a 30watt tube amp to capture a cream/zeppeliny sound and just wanted to know yalls opinon on the orange rocker 30.... been lookin at some marshalls but this seems like a really solid amp....possibly even higher quailty then a marshall...This is also starting to feel the offical orange amps only thread...so chat about anything all long as its orange

I own the rocker 30, and its a strait raw tone monster. You plug in your guitar and it sound like your guitar. This could be bad if you don't play a quality instrument. I am however selling my head because with the style Im playing now I really need an effects loop. Its slightly used. Interested?
Quote by dcdossett65
Not recommended, but better than a line 6 no doubt. I wouldnt spend 200 on it though.

I beg to differ, I would rather have a Spider than my Crush anyday. At least it has effects...
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Effects loop for one. The 50 i believe is EL34 and the 30 is EL84. I also believe the 50 has more EQ than the 30. that's all i know of.

No worng completly, 2 EL-34s are used on the 30, its 30 watts compared to the of most 2 el34 amps becasue its class A curcitry, and the 50 uses 2 6v6 power tubes.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Quote by Horlicks
I beg to differ, I would rather have a Spider than my Crush anyday. At least it has effects...

I'd staunchly object again. Having used both the Crush 30 and a friends Spider II 75w in practise situations, the Orange was much better. Why? Because I could dial in a useable tone. They aren't bad sounding amps really, just overpriced.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
I'd staunchly object again. Having used both the Crush 30 and a friends Spider II 75w in practise situations, the Orange was much better. Why? Because I could dial in a useable tone. They aren't bad sounding amps really, just overpriced.

lol wut
They're cheap. They sound bad.
Quote by Johnbryant
No worng completly, 2 EL-34s are used on the 30, its 30 watts compared to the of most 2 el34 amps becasue its class A curcitry, and the 50 uses 2 6v6 power tubes.

Really? That's odd. Dont most EL34s tubes provide like 25 watts of power each? Or does Class A circuitry lessen it?
Quote by Horlicks
lol wut
They're cheap. They sound bad.

For little solid state practise amps, they don't sound bad at all. They are just overpriced for what they are. That's what overpriced means. Something can be 100 quid and be overpriced.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Page 1 of 2