Okay so I'm looking for a new amp (no sh*t). I play mostly grunge and shoegaze with other alternative and punk influences, but I have pedals to deal with distortion so I'm mostly looking for a good clean sound.

My budget is around $600-$800 New Zealand dollars (let's say $550US max) and I would prefer a tube amp, but if solid state or hybrid is my best choice I'll take it. And my dad is buying, and he doesn't want to get a used one (don't ask why) and since I'm lucky to be even getting money from him I'm not really keen to argue the details.

I don't gig right now, but plan to start in the near future so something with a bit of volume would be best.

What do my fellow UGers recommend? I was looking at an Epiphone Valve Standard, cause that seems to be the only tube in my budget. I've also had a couple of looks at the Marshall AVT (not the MG, though) series and a couple of Fenders and Peaveys that are all solid state.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I always really liked the Valveking's cleans. And I would say it takes pedals really well and its right in your budget.
Quote by HuckIt
I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...
For some reason a Valve King here is over a thousand. I know we get ripped off.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
If you can't afford a VK and can't go used, check out the Valve Standard. Should be right up your alley, but I thought they were discontinued?

Either way I saw one for about $250 when I was in Sacramento... heard someone playing it when I went to check out a Mesa and it was pretty good especially at that price.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I thought so too, but I saw one avaliable on a local store site.
Quote by Cathbard
I have, but there isn't any place in my town where you can get a Vox of any kind. The closest is Auckland, 2 and a half hours away and convincing Dad to drive me down there just to try amps is a stretch.
Quote by Cathbard
Does anyone have any opinion on Crates? The V50 model looks pretty interesting.
Quote by Cathbard
They're sh*t expensive here (like $750 for an 18W model) but I've come to the conclusion that I may get a better deal buying online.
Quote by Cathbard