Okay, I'm planing on buying a bass in october, and I'm not sure if my finger length is good enough... What would be appropriate finger length to play bass? This may seem weird but I'll give you length of my fingers CM wise.

Index - 7CM
Middle - 8CM
Ring - 7.2CM
Pinky - 6.5

So yeah... Can you guys like help out, tell me if I might encounter problems or anything like that, or if my fingers are way too short... Thanks!
Anarkee has girly hands that aren't any bigger than yours, but she manages to play a full-scale bass. It's all about technique.
Millie, my Peavey Grind Fiver
Peavey BAM 210 350w combo amp
Sansamp Bass Driver DI
Modded Ernie Ball VP Jr.
Monster Bass Cable, 21'

Quote by NakedBassist
Welcome to bass, you'll f*cking love it
it's ok.
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Yes, I am the poster child for "small hands! Big bass!. My hands are almost the exact size as yours.

My hints for success. One make sure you use good technique. Its not a recommended, its vital in your case. Make sure your thumb is behind the neck and acts as a pivot.

Scales, arpeggio practice and spider scales are your very best friends. You can't avoid them in your practice. They become necessary for you to develop dexterity and stretch.

Become accustomed to the reality that most tabs will not work for you and that you may have to develop alternative fingerings, esp. if you get into metal and want to play artists like Primus and Jaco Pastorius. You will learn to shift between positions very, very well as a result.

Do not assume you can never play a 5 string or a fatter neck. I can handle a Musicman Stingray and a MIA Precision with no problem. And I find playing a 5 string is easier at times than a 4 string because of the efficiencies of movement you can achieve with the extra string.
I have very large hands, I still don't play as well unless I'm playing with fine technique.

probably because I have a weak pinky and fretting needs to be easy for this wimp.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by SynisterGates!
Okay thanks guys , that makes me not worry much. Thank you all!

my fingers are just like 0.5 cm taller and I play with no troubles,
don';t know why you are worrying

I know kids of 8 who play a full-scale bass
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
My hands are the same size, never considered that I had small hands. I don't have much trouble playing until I get around fret 12.
Quote by Edwards
My hands are the same size, never considered that I had small hands. I don't have much trouble playing until I get around fret 12.

Now you've piqued my curiosity. What kind of problems do you have? I find its easier the further up the neck I go because the frets are closer. I used to struggle with songs in F minor because the stretch between the low F and the Ab (1st to 4th fret) was such a bear for me to do.

I do find that spider scales are really what allowed me to get the best stretch and flexibility. I can almost play "Defy the laws of Tradition" intro now without my fingers straining.
Quote by anarkee
Now you've piqued my curiosity. What kind of problems do you have? I find its easier the further up the neck I go because the frets are closer. I used to struggle with songs in F minor because the stretch between the low F and the Ab (1st to 4th fret) was such a bear for me to do.

I do find that spider scales are really what allowed me to get the best stretch and flexibility. I can almost play "Defy the laws of Tradition" intro now without my fingers straining.

I have only been playing a week so my point is probably pointless. I feel like I'm torquing my wrest a lot to wrap around to hit the high F on the E string. I usually don't play that high on the E string so it usually isn't an issue anyway but that's where I would end up having problems.
Quote by anarkee

My hands are giant and I still have slight problems with that bit.
Well my fingers are each about a cm smaller than that and I cope pretty well. You might find some of the stretches in songs are a bit harder to do but they're usually manageable with a bit of practice.
Last edited by DevilMayCare at Aug 28, 2008,
Quote by Royal Celebi
My fingers are smaller than yours but I play pretty well. So size doesn't matter >_>

Haha good one!

Okay guys thanks , you really brought off the worries off my back.
Small hands!

Mine are all like 2cm shorter than yours.

Be thankful dammit.
Quote by maroon5mustdie

I, myself, choose not to have sex. My parents probably did, so therefore it is uncool. Maybe next you can start wearing sweater-vests. Fag.
I have smaller hands than you, yet ive never had problems reaching frets.
Size doesnt matter, its how you use it mate.
BTW where are you measuring from?
EDIT: Your pinky is ridiciulously big compared to your other fingers lol
Last edited by jb_reborn at Aug 27, 2008,
My fingers are smaller than yours and I can play easily enough, and at a pretty high standard on full size basses (i've never picked up a small scale bass)

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
Quote by jb_reborn

BTW where are you measuring from?

Personally I'm measuring from the crease that my last knuckle makes in the middle of the finger to the tip
Uh, why don't I just show you people a picture lol. Btw that's my mom holding the ruler that is not my nail polish lol. I measured my middle finger, at the end of it it's exactly 8cm. Here's pic for the curious ones.

My Fingers are big and i play bass
But my friend has small, narrow fingers and he can play just as well