Page 1 of 2
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo
348 IQ
What makes progressive different from the other genres, and which bands pertain to this genre?
ibanez41093
waffles vs pancakes
241 IQ
never even heard of it
I SAW YOUR MOMMY AND YOUR MOMMYS DEAD
Butthead
UG's Cowboy Lumberjack
283 IQ
It's a long piece of music that rarely rehashes parts, i.e. riffs and the like. Early Metallica, Rush, and Coheed and Cambria are good places to start if you're just looking into the genre. In my opinion, it's structure resembles that of a classical piec of music, always moving and changing tempos quite often.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Last edited by Butthead at Aug 26, 2008,
Ultimate_Gio92
Creamy Goodness
649 IQ
Early Metallica? I dont agree with that. Kill em All? Ride the Lightning? Master of Puppets? I dont see that as progressive as Rush and Coheed and Cambria. Check out Symphony X and Dream Theater.
Ze_Metal
UG's Blood Tsunami Addict
530 IQ
Yeah what "Butthead" Said pretty much. It's not a genre, just how to explain the music. Lots of chord progressions and stuff.
ChurchNSkate
UG's JS/Laney/Carvin user
407 IQ
.. Progressive music isn't necessarily long. It's just a style of songwriting that leans towards new ideas, unconventional song structures and generally large improvisation sections.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
JBOO7OHMSS
75 IQ
Progressive basically means different. If a band does wierd things and explores different ways of making music they are progressive.

Rush is a well known progressive band. Odd time sigs also are progressive.

Some say Pink Floyd is progressive but i don't think so, they're just more musical with their music, imo.

Wikipedia has a page on progressive music and a list of progressive bands.

Progressive is cool when i get tired of the same old repetitive thing most bands do. It's just different and more complex.

21st century schizoid man is a very progressive song, (the April Wine version is better, imo)

hope this helps
Butthead
UG's Cowboy Lumberjack
283 IQ
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
Early Metallica? I dont agree with that. Kill em All? Ride the Lightning? Master of Puppets? I dont see that as progressive as Rush and Coheed and Cambria. Check out Symphony X and Dream Theater.

I'll agree that it's not near as progressive as the two aforementioned bands, but they are very accessable and easy to discuss with most people.
I AM MASTER OF JIGGLYPUFF.

Current Gear:
Gibson Boneyard with Bigsby
Gibson 93' Explorer W/Nailbombs
G&L 93' Legacy W/Noiseless
Gibson 95' Doublecut W/Angus Bridge

Mesa Stiletto Trident
Bogner Shiva
Mesa 2x12 & 4x12 Cabs
Zimm69
Blessed Are The Sick
37 IQ
Progressive music doesn't have a normal song structure. It doesn't flow like a lot of songs, for example the verse-chorus-verse type of song. (there is a lot more to it than just what I said)

A couple bands I like that are progressive are Frank Zappa and Necrophagist.
INSTAGIB
Stratmaster458
Banned
945 IQ
Yes,Emerson Lake and Palmer,Pink Floyd,Wishbone Ash,Tool,A Perfect Circle, Porcupine Tree,Rush,Some Frank Zappa

those are all progressive.
its irrelevant
UG's h4x0r bassist
406 IQ
A Perfect Circle is fairly progressive, Tool is prog too but even more so than APC. Opeth and Between the Buried and Me for some more progressive metal. BTBAM is just ridiculously insane in all of their songs
Last edited by its irrelevant at Aug 26, 2008,
piratemetalhead
2,274 IQ
Eeer, it's a very vague term, but odd time-signatures, philosophical lyrics, odd song structuring, exotic scales/ chords, and concept albums are all traits of progressive rock/ metal/ whatever.

It kinda gets confused with avant-garde sometimes, but they're VERY different.
bigtimmy
ur bullets cannot stop me
510 IQ
O-p-e-t-h
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
SilverDark
Waka Waka, mofo
348 IQ
Yes! This "Progressive" way of thinking sounds like my type of fancy, and since I do listen to Symphony X, I now have a more clearer understanding of this genre, especially the experimentation of different things... Maybe I should be a "Progressive" type player...
BeerChurch
Non-Denominational
162 IQ
Progressive Rock = Real, honest music in it's truest art form. Playing what is felt, uncomprimised, without intentionally being commercial or selling out to Corporate elephants for the sake of selling records.
3_D
- I Think Deep Thoughts -
210 IQ
i'm a prog rock kind of guy.. and if you want prime examples of this listen to some of Rush's "story" songs and albums such as 2112 and hemispheres.. songs like "the necromancer" and "Cygnus x-1" are also good songs that show how A single song can be broken down and redone in different ways to tell a story and have the music set the mood for it.
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Green Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Member - Geddy Lee Fan Club -

Hartke 4x10, 400W VX cab
Hartke HA3500 350W head

Squire Custom JAZZ Bass (Midnight Blue)
Second Rate
813 IQ
Quote by JBOO7OHMSS

Some say Pink Floyd is progressive but i don't think so

Finally, someone else who gets it. It's too bluesy..... they are/were/will always be psychedelic, not progressive rock.

Anyway..... they way i've always defined progressive rock for people new to it is "anything but the blues." It is basically avoiding the tired blues conventions that are so prevalent in rock.
seymour_jackson
DOTA
1,163 IQ
Quote by BeerChurch
Progressive Rock = Real, honest music in it's truest art form. Playing what is felt, uncomprimised, without intentionally being commercial or selling out to Corporate elephants for the sake of selling records.

+10000000

Dream Theater and Symphony X is progessive music in its most brutal yet inetlligent form. I would say early Metallica does have some progessive element in it but Black album and on, no.

rush, yes, BBTBAM, Protest the Hero(they are always forgotten , DT, Sym X, DEATH, some testament, some Megadeth, Opeth, Procupine tree, Coheed umm cant think of anything else.
My Gear:
JacksonStars KE TN-02 EMG 81s
Jackson DKMG/ EMG-HZ activez/ D-tuna
Jackson WRXT / dimarzio tone zone
Jackson KSXT / seymour duncan JBs
Ovation Celeberity
Peavey JSX 212

Music school! WOO
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Fates Warning and Queensryche for early prog metal (almost can't separate them at times).

"Progressive", to me, is music that takes on a lot of twists and turns over the course of an album – choruses might be abound, but they're not incredibly repetitive like those found in European power metal; tempo can be slow one minute, fast the next, and back & forth; vox might change with a different movement, such as sinister to downright angry; songs can have different 'pieces' or sections which seem to interweave either seamlessly (A Change Of Seasons by DT) or rather clunkily (The Ivory Gate Of Dreams by Fates Warning); drums should be quite complex and have lots of fills; guitar needs to have dynamics shifting from light to harsh, etc.

I won't start on the whole "prog musicians are superior in technical skill to any other genre" crap. There are standard shredders out there with heaps of talent in their fingers, but they just don't happen to be prog. And so on.
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Music that stretches the boundaries of what is deemed 'normal' by the masses.
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Prog is VERY broad as it is.

That's the fucking point.

Porcupine Tree and Orphaned Land?

Don't sound very much alike yet both are progressive.

Opeth and Yes?

Don't sound very much alike but both are intensely progressive. As with Dream Theater and King Crimson...Deaf and The Master's Apprentices, etc etc.

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Sure, I wasn't saying no to that at all. But then, you have bands like Genesis and Opeth who are both at the extreme opposites of the scale in terms of, say, heaviness – but they share common characteristics found within prog; some of which I mentioned above (i.e. complex drumming and wildly shifting song structures). There's certain elements of musicianship which bands labelled as 'prog' always seems to have.

The thing that I found a bit strange about your "normal" quote was that, with such broad logic as you talked about, anything could be called prog if it "stretches the boundaries of what is deemed 'normal' by the masses" – so that says to me someone making weird noises on a synth, or Primus, Buckethead's weird stuff, or even some of The Smiths' stuff could also count as prog. Hmm...

(Not trying to sound challenging or prickly. I prised apart that quote merely for discussion. )
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
But...synths are about as generic as you can get.

Take a glance at the entirety of the 80's power pop scene and if you say a synth is a mysterious instrument you are slightly...challenged.

Primus, however, I could easily class as progressive rock/metal. Very strange stuff they do. And, strange noises on instruments is for avante-garde.

Avante-garde is more about the use of strange, otherwordly instruments (or simply symphonic elements, like a timpani or a Kiko).

Quote by eggsandham2
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
Slaytanic knows what he's talking about.

Prog music is what it says in the title - it's music that progresses. It doesn't need to be long and meaty, as long as it explores new ideas and elaborates on those ideas.

Like an essay.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
Last edited by CTFOD at Aug 27, 2008,
DaFjory
In Lane we trust
1,487 IQ
Ah well. Maybe the whole genre is just... open to interpretation? I guess what elements people look for in a prog band, or prog as a genre, is as "broad" as prog itself.
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by DaFjory
Ah well. Maybe the whole genre is just... open to interpretation? I guess what elements people look for in a prog band, or prog as a genre, is as "broad" as prog itself.

Ah, so you agree with me ?

Quote by eggsandham2
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Prog is very broad. What 1 guy said. Prog is music in it's truest art form without intentionally playing stuff too sell out.

What if this guitar player learned all from commercial guitarplayers and subconciously plays his inspirations. Very thin line there since it's always opinion based.

Too me prog is very simple and it's in the word itself:

Progress; Try out new techniques new sounds new composition materials. Don't just write songs. Explore em.

It's basically a (open) mindset rather then a style or genre; That's for sure.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,485 IQ
metallica and iron maiden definetely have progressive elements in their music.

Iron Maiden a lot actually
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Yes. It's a mindset and how much u posses, or use of it is relative. And this thread will just start off as an inteligence show off, with the most baddass mofo's on the boards alive (no offence ).

Everyone can use progressive elements. Only 1 more then others.

Like iron maiden has 10% prog element 90% rock/metal (just random)

where Rush would have like 80% prog 20% rock.

Really prog is a big term and (too) hard too define.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,485 IQ
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yes. It's a mindset and how much u posses, or use of it is relative. And this thread will just start off as an inteligence show off, with the most baddass mofo's on the boards alive (no offence ).

Everyone can use progressive elements. Only 1 more then others.

Like iron maiden has 10% prog element 90% rock/metal (just random)

where Rush would have like 80% prog 20% rock.

Really prog is a big term and (too) hard too define.

Iron Maiden has a bit more prog on their last albums and ofcourse SEVENTH SON OF A SEVENTH SON!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
That's why i had (Just random) behind it

I'm not a statistics master. Just used some numbers as a relative for a rock based artist (Iron Maiden) and a Prog based artist (Rush) Which both also share ideas from each other's respective genres.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
Quote by Slaytanic1993
Avante-garde is more about the use of strange, otherwordly instruments (or simply symphonic elements, like a timpani or a Kiko).

I disagree with that, you can have a standard three/four piece band (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) creating very avant-garde music. Avant-garde is more like re-inventing the wheel whereas prog music is about adapting it and seeing where it can go.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Neo Evil11
Feminist
1,485 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles
I disagree with that, you can have a standard three/four piece band (vocals, guitar, bass, drums) creating very avant-garde music. Avant-garde is more like re-inventing the wheel whereas prog music is about adapting it and seeing where it can go.

that's just genious!
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
UncleCthulhu
Banned
268 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles

[pretention]I disagree with all of you. If you were to give avant-garde a fixed definition it would no longer be avant-garde.[/pretention]

xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
yes Avant Garde is not a genre but a mindset. You can't define it.

And I already mentioned i see prog as taking what already exists and explore it; where avant garde is totaly play music different then how it is supposed.

example prog: (progrock) take a rock riff and do jazz solo over it in 7/4 time.

example avant garde: play a drumbeat on a garbage can and make the melody with a beer glas and record ur vocals in reverse LOL

These are random examples not definitions. If you wanna find ur answer go listen prog and then u will feel natural what prog is, cause u will develop that mindset of how the proggers think.

Just like beer; u have too learn too drink it, and when u have, u will meet pleaseant surprises.

(most intelligent)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Slaytanic1993
Wakka wakka
2,620 IQ
Quote by Andrewbiles

Alright, I can easily agree with that.

I'm not much of an avante-garde man as it is, so I'm not 100% in the know.

Quote by eggsandham2