Yaaa im sure this isnt a new story... Basically my parents are bitchin at me about my further education (currently graduated highschool) I have no idea what i want to do at university and its pretty much hitting me in the face now. Music and band is all that i think about and playing live shows have been my dream, so im in a rut between passion and survival. I know music wont pay the bills but i have not alot of interest in other subjects at college/university and im a slacker (65%avg) so my choices of schooling is ****e.

Anyone else ever had this trouble?
why don't you go to school and major in music? its apparently your passion so why not, right?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Quote by Metal_miltia
Yaaa im sure this isnt a new story... Basically my parents are bitchin at me about my further education (currently graduated highschool) I have no idea what i want to do at university and its pretty much hitting me in the face now. Music and band is all that i think about and playing live shows have been my dream, so im in a rut between passion and survival. I know music wont pay the bills but i have not alot of interest in other subjects at college/university and im a slacker (65%avg) so my choices of schooling is ****e.

im having that trouble right now.
im studying production (what's the name of the career in english??? it's about recording music and that for other bands)
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by Natrone
why don't you go to school and major in music? its apparently your passion so why not, right?

Or major in sound engineering.

Learn to be a producer, learn to use the equipment, get a job at a studio, etc.

Not only will you work in music, but you'll have everything you'll need to record and produce your own band.

That's what I plan to do.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
It's a good to have an academic (something that you can fall back on) than something that is pretty much a long shot in the end.
Quote by Echoplex
Mature pit regulars? Are you retarded?

I am a proud Zune 120 owner
Quote by fallenangel20

Not only will you work in music, but you'll have everything you'll need to record and produce your own band.

that's the thing i tried to say

thank you thumbs up jesus
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Try to find somewhere in between, though I am only in high school my advice doesn't have to much to say. But can't you do some kind of music in college?
go to MI in hollywood...or try to take up a guitar craft schooling or something along the lines...who know you could be the next fender
Quote by jsbud11
Dude your leetness is maximum.
Seriously if you leave UG without becoming a mod, I will kill someone.
Quote by Devopast
This is turning into fap-to-amazingfretman's-love-a-thon
higher learning is NEVER a bad idea. 4 years isnt that long in the grand scheme of things and youll have plenty of time to perfect your music. if you wanna make your passion your bread and butter, it takes way more then just talent. assuming you already have that, no offense. You learn alot in college. You experience alot in college. its just overall good for your mind body and spirit. when you get out of college youll have all that knowledge plus your music.
Quote by fallenangel20

Exact same plans as well.
do what everyone else has done. get a job for money, play in spare time and build a presence. then take the big leap and become a star. of course, you have to be good enough, so i guess that means you better be passionate about it. i hear lots of people say they are passionate about music but arent that good because they dont put much effort into it. for some people, really liking something is considered passionate because they've never liked anything.

i would guess that since you're a high school graduate you have some direction, so go ahead and do what makes you happy. if you wanna try it the old fashioned way, luck be with you. if you wanna go to college, thats good too.
Quote by KennethJay
It's a good to have an academic (something that you can fall back on) than something that is pretty much a long shot in the end.

And that's people exactly like you that not only don't make it music, they WON'T make it in music, ever. If you seriously plan on going to do a grade in music I wish you luck to preserve the creativity you have right now, I've had a talk with a univ. teacher who's my aunt, she pretty much said so. Last but not least, why the hell would you think on paying bills when all you need is space to sleep and space to play when not onstage, as long as you can keep fresh a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jam & store some knives to stab partythieves with.

A 2-1/2 is more than enough for a band, as long as you share the only room for womanizing, sleeping between two amps & a guitar's half of the fun.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Quote by Metal_miltia

get a master in music and guitar
trust me that will make you god at guitar.
if you're not making any money off music right now, you're wasting your time. there are some great universities and colleges in Ontario and you could easily get into something that holds your interests
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Take a year off to work and think about things. Also to satisfy yout GAS lol Almost half the kids I know that went to post secondary are changing programs already, so they kinda wasted money on the first year :p
Quote by fallenangel20

Copier.
Did you know the odds of a Vault-Tec shelter failing are 1,763,497 to 1?

So imagine life in a Vault-Tec Vault. Not just a future.
A brighter future... underground.

Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.
i agree i would major in sound engineering

its not such a closed subject then
after that you still have plenty more options other than just playing music
BEAT IT, BUT NOT IN FRONT OF CHILDREN YOU DIRTY C***!-Mel Gimpsuit
Quote by Gäbe
And that's people exactly like you that not only don't make it music, they WON'T make it in music, ever. If you seriously plan on going to do a grade in music I wish you luck to preserve the creativity you have right now, I've had a talk with a univ. teacher who's my aunt, she pretty much said so. Last but not least, why the hell would you think on paying bills when all you need is space to sleep and space to play when not onstage, as long as you can keep fresh a loaf of bread, peanut butter, jam & store some knives to stab partythieves with.

A 2-1/2 is more than enough for a band, as long as you share the only room for womanizing, sleeping between two amps & a guitar's half of the fun.

Sounds like someones talking out of their ass. knowledge is power. Just ask steve vai, john petrucci, or Al dimeola (yes im plugging the berklee grads). If learning music theory and exposing yourself to serious musical education is going to kill your "creativity," you probably werent gonna make it anyways. Oh and wonder bread and jiff gets fucking old after a while. Enjoy your emaciated and filthy lifestyle.
Quote by Metal_miltia

Okay, so get your **** together, go to a bad college, transfer after 2 years to a good college, take classes that you think may be interesting to you. Done, you're welcome.

Edit: In college you have so much spare time that you won't know what to do with yourself. I swear I've worked out and played guitar more the past week than I have the rest of my life
Mass Communications is a great major if you want to learn things about audio/video, working cameras, radio stations...anything in that area. I'm going to do audio recording along with filming and in a couple of my classes we are going to film some music videos.

But yeah...u should look into it man.
Quote by fallenangel20

What decent studio hires somebody with no real experience?

dreamcrush/