Page 1 of 2
okay i just need to get this out ....people are starting to piss me off with all these genre's not only because theres soo many different kinds but because people are soo damn picky bout it. Like today some guy yelled at me because i said metallica is metal and he said no there thrashing......whatever happend to

rock
metal
punk
rap
hip-hop

you know the basics ....but know they have this emo **** and stuff and all people say is its not death metal ..its screamo

it ****ing pisses me off

any1 else feel this way
I SAW YOUR MOMMY AND YOUR MOMMYS DEAD
I get annoyed when people correct you for putting a band in a certain genre, but other than that it really doesn't matter to me. There are definitely way too many genre's out there now though.
Quote by samick007
I get annoyed when people correct you for putting a band in a certain genre, but other than that it really doesn't matter to me. There are definitely way too many genre's out there now though.

But Fall Out Boy is too death metal!!!
Yes there are many genres now a days, it is hard to get it right. I like pretty much all that don't have anything to do with Country music or Rap.
Quote by ibanez41093
okay i just need to get this out ....people are starting to piss me off with all these genre's not only because theres soo many different kinds but because people are soo damn picky bout it. Like today some guy yelled at me because i said metallica is metal and he said no there thrashing......whatever happend to

rock
metal
punk
rap
hip-hop

you know the basics ....but know they have this emo **** and stuff and all people say is its not death metal ..its screamo

it ****ing pisses me off

any1 else feel this way

Emo music is awesome.
two and a half men.
i agree. to frickin confusing. as far as rock goes you only need rock and classic rock. metal should just be called "the genre that sounds the exact same in every song." punk should be left as is. rap should officially be denied as music. hip hop should be left as is. blues needs to be revived to the way is was after the blues brothers made it popular again.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
There are only two types of music: Good and Not Good. Take your pick.

/thread
What the hell were you thinking?

i duno lol. tihs r liek wen i traid drawn maiself n teh t0ilit.

ROFL.

EPICPHAIL.

gess i cant dai.
i have one catergory i use when decribing stuff i like.

"its awesome"

thats it
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by Cameronrobson
Emo music is awesome.

I love Rite of Spring

All the genres are for neatness.....If I say "I like Metal, give me bands!" no one will no what kind I like.....If I say that I like old Metallica then they would recommend Thrash Metal like Slayer, Testament, Kreator and Megadeth instead of other Metal bands like Opeth, Emperor and Blind Guardian...

Natrone: I like Garth Brooks a little less just because of your comment on Metal. and I thought he was pretty cool!
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
genres>subgenres>bands>any stupid little word someone comes up with to describe a band
Its easy once you understand it.

Most are self-explainitory anyways.

Only gets confusing when you deal with obscure genres that are similar like emo-violence, skramz, post-hardcore, grind.
I find it all necessary.
Quote by snipelfritz
Try defining indie.

*headasploads*

Hipster faggotry.

ololol
Quote by Natrone
i agree. to frickin confusing. as far as rock goes you only need rock and classic rock. metal should just be called "the genre that sounds the exact same in every song." punk should be left as is. rap should officially be denied as music. hip hop should be left as is. blues needs to be revived to the way is was after the blues brothers made it popular again.

*facepalm*, go listen to Opeth and then Trivium and tell me they sound the same.
Got a question about Baritone guitars? Feel free to PM me.

Thanks to UG, I converted from Metalcore to some "real" Metal.
The area where I find the most problem is with the emo genres. People do get really offended for some reason when you can't differentiate between screamo, hardcore, post-hardcore, emo, grindcore, metalcore, deathcore, breakcore, etc. when a lot of bands fall into several categories. My solution? Add "-ish" to the end of the genre.

So Metallica is metal-ish. Problem solved.
Quote by Natrone

The ignorance.

It hurts.
Quote by Natrone

Quote by Shinsen88
The area where I find the most problem is with the emo genres. People do get really offended for some reason when you can't differentiate between screamo, hardcore, post-hardcore, emo, grindcore, metalcore, deathcore, breakcore, etc. when a lot of bands fall into several categories. My solution? Add "-ish" to the end of the genre.

brilliant!
Quote by Natrone

you're 11 or 12, amirite??
Quote by Doppelgänger
I find it all necessary.

Hipster faggotry.

ololol

Not the indie I listen to.

You're so natural, you're so free
So don't decide what's best for me!
two and a half men.
I hate when I get corrected over stupid **** like saying Lamb of God is Metal ("it's not metal! it's Metal-core!") or when I say Ensiferum is Folk Metal ("You idiot, it's Folk/Viking/Pagan/Death Metal!") What the hell is the difference? I just stick to saying it's Metal now, nothing else, just Metal.
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

IA! IA! CTHULHU FHTAGN!
I don't know what any of the genre's mean either. But chances are, if it doesn't fall into basic parameters, I'm gonna hate it. If you tell me something is...

Death Metal Screamo
Thrashcore Metaldeath
Melothrash Deathcore
Thrashdeath Mathcore

Or some stupid **** like that, I already know it sucks. So it really doesn't matter what it actually means.
Quote by Shinsen88

I get mad when Metallica is Screamo or Death Metal or something. I don't mind at all if you lump everything into Metal. I don't mind if you call Hardcore Metal either. They're close enough in style that it shouldn't matter in casual conversation.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I get annoyed when people think that every band in the world can go into one big genre called "music."

Well, that's not exactly what you did. I am exaggerating.

And that guy is an idiot. Metallica is metal. But more specifically, they are thrash metal.

Grindcore is emo now?

And only a few of those sound the same.
Last edited by Masonpwiley at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by Masonpwiley
I get annoyed when people think that every band in the world can go into one big genre called "music."

And that guy is an idiot. Metallica is metal. But more specifically, they are thrash metal.

I cannot stand when you ask what music someone listens to and they say "all" because almost every time it means whatever is on the radio and a few personal favorites that are similar to the radio music.....I usually say "I listen to a lot of different stuff but I like Metal the most." then if they like Metal, we talk Metal and if they don't they can ask me if I like what they do.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by BladeSlinger
I cannot stand when you ask what music someone listens to and they say "all" because almost every time it means whatever is on the radio and a few personal favorites that are similar to the radio music.....I usually say "I listen to a lot of different stuff but I like Metal the most." then if they like Metal, we talk Metal and if they don't they can ask me if I like what they do.

That annoys me to. Especially when preppy girls say it.
Quote by BladeSlinger
I get mad when Metallica is Screamo or Death Metal or something. I don't mind at all if you lump everything into Metal. I don't mind if you call Hardcore Metal either. They're close enough in style that it shouldn't matter in casual conversation.

hardcore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGijtpSID3k&feature=related

Metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labytsb3gfI

same?

Quote by Masonpwiley

Grindcore is emo now?

And only a few of those sound the same.

lots of scene kids listen to those ****ty psuedo-grind bands like Flesh Intoxication and Preschool Tea Party Massacre
two and a half men.
Quote by Masonpwiley

GIRLS LIKE METAL NOW???

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Masonpwiley

We need to go **** punt some preppy girls while blasting Vivaldi, Ledbelly, Cannibal Corpse, Nirvana, Tupac, Brad Paisley and Benny Benassi all at once.

Just because we can.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Well, ill usually refer to something like Rhapsody or Sonata Arctica as Power Metal, Cannibal Corpse as Death Metal, and Amon Amarth as Melodeath. I dont usually refer to things like Viking Metal, Symphonic Black Metal, Swiss/Florida Death Metal.
Quote by Sharck
I don't know what any of the genre's mean either. But chances are, if it doesn't fall into basic parameters, I'm gonna hate it. If you tell me something is...

Death Metal Screamo -1
Thrashcore Metaldeath -2
Melothrash Deathcore -3
Thrashdeath Mathcore -4

Or some stupid **** like that, I already know it sucks. So it really doesn't matter what it actually means.

1. Wouldn't exist, really. It would technically be deathcore with higher pitched screams.

2. I'm not a big thrash fan, but thrashcore is basically just groove metal (ala LoG, Shadows Fall, etc.), and "metaldeath"?

3. Actually sounds terribly interesting. If I found a band that could fit that description, I would listen to them.

4. Thrashdeath wouldn't exist, since death metal formed from thrash. Mathcore, on the other hand, is AMAZING, but has room to fail, since it's a "hip" genre to try and get into these days.

Yes, I know you made those up on the spot, but I was at least trying to show they make some sense, at least. Plus, I'm bored as shit.

Subgenres. They're amazing.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Cameronrobson
hardcore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGijtpSID3k&feature=related

Metal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labytsb3gfI

same?

lots of scene kids listen to those ****ty psuedo-grind bands like Flesh Intoxication and Preschool Tea Party Massacre

I was meaning the more recent wave of Hardcore.....You know...the kind that stopped being Punk.

If it were that type (real) of Hardcore I would just say Punk.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I don't care how other people classify/rank what I listen to. Doesn't bother me. I have TWO genres of music:

Music I enjoy

Music I don't enjoy
You all need to watch Metal: A Headbanger's Journey again. Remember the sasquatch-looking producer (or engineer, i forget) wearing the slayer jacket.

He's ranting about folks who say they like every genre except for metal. "At that point I know I no longer need to continue the conversation..." something something something... "...because at it's base level, all it is, is rock and roll. Metal is nothing but hard-edged rock."

****, I need to watch it myself again...

Point - Metal is just heavy rock.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Pauldapro
GIRLS LIKE METAL NOW???

Bring me the horizon, atreyu (If they can be considered metal), etc, etc.

Ya know, the usual "OMG SONNY MOORE/ OLI SYKES/ ETC IS SOOOO HAWT", while they should be going "I SACRIFICE MY SOUL TO THE ALMIGHTY MIKAEL AKERSFELDT AND MUHAMMED SUICMEZ".
Page 1 of 2