so i have a gibson sg faded.

and it doesnt sound good if i play past the 12th fret it just sounds off.
can i fix this
and what gauge strings should i use? i keep it tuned to drop c and play metal/hardcore

thanks
Quote by L_Z_Nut
Who is this "Billy Joe Armstrong" you guys are talking about..... sounds made up to me.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
my penis is like 6 inches. i measured with a measuring tape and accidentally let it go, so i have cuts down the side.

RIP heaven's gate
Those arent all that great to start with.

and take it to the electric guitar forum

duh
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
well i thought that since i had a qeustion about strings too i figured id ask here
Quote by L_Z_Nut
Who is this "Billy Joe Armstrong" you guys are talking about..... sounds made up to me.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
my penis is like 6 inches. i measured with a measuring tape and accidentally let it go, so i have cuts down the side.

RIP heaven's gate
You need to re-intonate and setup your guitar.
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
It sounds off because it IS off. The tuning is all messed up because you need to fix the intonation. Intonation is what makes the guitar sound in tune all over the fretboard.

If you're not comfortable with this, take it into to a GOOD shop, explain that you need a setup, keeping in mind that you tune to Drop C.

You should have fairly heavy strings, at least 13's, I would think.
so when i get it set up tell them i tune to drop c?

how much does it usualy cost?
Quote by L_Z_Nut

Quote by l2p_Guitar

RIP heaven's gate
Quote by forsaknazrael
My local shop charges like 30 bucks. Find a good shop near you, not some place like Guitar Center.

+1

They are slow at helping you or really with anything.

Even samash would be better.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Yes, you need to intonate it like said.

As for strings. You don't need 13s! forsaknazrael is on crackzzz!

I use Hybrid Slinkies on mine which are fine enough for Drop C. Go 11s if you want it a little tighter, 13s will work, but you don't need them to get that low.

Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Those arent all that great to start with.

As apposed to what?

My Faded SG is a damn good guitar and is the best playing SG I've laid my hands on.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 27, 2008,
Quote by forsaknazrael
^
Well, I don't play teh br00tz. I have a friend who does, and he uses 13's, and he tunes to Drop B or C. So there!

Haha, I'm just kidding dude.

Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

As apposed to what?

My Faded SG is a damn good guitar and is the best playing SG I've laid my hands on.

The standards of course. The faded ones are pretty good for what you pay, but the standards are much better. Have you done anything to your SG, new pickups, tuners, etc.? If so that could also be reason to why you like it. Im not saying they are bad though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
The standards of course. The faded ones are pretty good for what you pay, but the standards are much better. Have you done anything to your SG, new pickups, tuners, etc.? If so that could also be reason to why you like it. Im not saying they are bad though.

Ah well true, but they're also about half the price.

I changed the pickups in mine to EMGs, but I don't like the sound of EMGs anymore so I'm switching them back
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw

I changed the pickups in mine to EMGs, but I don't like the sound of EMGs anymore so I'm switching them back

Did you change them because a lot of people do so you thought they must be good? I know someone that did that and was also not satisfyed.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by MatrixClaw

don't be a quitter, 18v mod!
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Jesus Christ what is it with people on this site and playing in Drop C or B or A?
they're just gay
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Did you change them because a lot of people do so you thought they must be good? I know someone that did that and was also not satisfyed.

I changed them cause I didn't like the sound of the Gibson pickups, I was satisfied for the year or two that I had the EMGs in there, they just don't seem to mix well with my Nitro or something cause I don't like how it sounds at all.

Quote by al112987
Jesus Christ what is it with people on this site and playing in Drop C or B or A?

For the record, I play in Standard most of the time now, I can get it to sound more br00talz than drop tunings
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
You should have fairly heavy strings, at least 13's, I would think.
I've got my Epi SG to do B standard with 9's on it. No major issues with fret buzz, intonation needed shifting but it was doable. Just goes to say that heavy strings aren't needed.

That said, I only downtune when I'm playing with other people who downtune; life's easier when you're all in the same tuning. I play E standard most of the time, or C (or D) if I'm feeling particularly br00talz. Much further than that and it's getting silly imo.

With respect to drop tunings, I don't really see the point... powerchords are easy enough already, and who plays 6th chords (do they have another name?) anyway? That's the only reason I'd go into drop tunings, and I've never heard them being used...
Quote by brandendude
so i have a gibson sg faded.

and it doesnt sound good if i play past the 12th fret it just sounds off.
can i fix this
and what gauge strings should i use? i keep it tuned to drop c and play metal/hardcore

thanks

play single notes at the 20th fret and slowly raise the bridge with the thumb wheel until the notes are clear...

good luck